Reading over sleeping

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
LizS
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizs.html

Re: Reading over sleeping

Post by LizS »

Oh my God yes!!!! It's 3:00 a.m. And I know I have to get up for work in 3 1/2 hours and it's soooooo good and just one more chapter and I know I'm being an idiot and I should really put it down, but it's really really really good, and when will I ever learn!? and it's all this stupid author's fault and I hate him cuz he's sooooo good.
This happens more often than I'd like to admit.
memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-memory.html
Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood

Post by memory »

I have learned that there is a time limit in the evening for when I can start reading a new book. Otherwise it will be 3 am and I haven't gone to sleep yet.
Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood
superphobic
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superphobic.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by superphobic »

I Stay up extremely late on every new book I read, (unless it's a day novel.) but I find the more I love the book the harder it is to read the last couple of chapters.
Swanson2295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swanson2295.html

Post by Swanson2295 »

Definitely. There have been nights where I get so into a book that my alarm is going off before I realize how late I have stayed up. I go through the entire day on no sleep and just end up staying up late again the next night because I want to finish the book.
EricaB
Currently Reading: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericab.html

Post by EricaB »

My favorite one I stayed up al night reading was The Deathly Hallows. I stood in line until midnight to buy it, and then read it until the sun came up.
Deannanicole4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deannanicole4.html

Post by Deannanicole4 »

If am I really interested in a book I will not put it down unless it is absolutely necessary. There were a few times I didn't sleep because the book was too good to put down.
Col3rs
Favorite Author: Kathleen Brooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Thirteen Reasons Why</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-col3rs.html
fav_author_id: 3555

Post by Col3rs »

I do this all the time. Only getting 2 hours of sleep is the perfect price to pay for finishing a book that you have invested hours of emotion into. I become connected with the characters in every book I read. Sometimes I just can't break that connection, even if it is to get some sleep.
TheMusicalMuse
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Currently Reading: The Druid's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themusicalmuse.html
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
fav_author_id: 3006

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

When I was in high school, I would stay up all night reading Mary Higgins Clark books instead of sleeping. I'd start them during the day, but I'd be so hooked, I wouldn't be able to stop reading when it was bedtime,
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
voilette83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-voilette83.html

Post by voilette83 »

I've done this plenty of times! "Just one more chapter" I say. Or "I'll just finish this chapter" and then move onto the next without realizing it. Next thing you know is 4 hours later and I've finished the book! Not always the best thing to happen when you have two small children to manage during the day! :)
SheikL
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Kill You Twice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheikl.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SheikL »

This is very difficult for me, since I usually read in bed! I can normally read for 20 -30 minutes, then I'm seeing
double. If I'm reading the last 20 pages of a book, I will get toothpicks to keep my eyes open, though!
Wounderlandvisitor
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wounderlandvisitor.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wounderlandvisitor »

For me I get more out of books at night, my imagination is stronger at night and read a book under the moon and flashlight can be the best thing in the world.
craftyreader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftyreader.html

Post by craftyreader »

ABSOLUTELY! I will lose sleep just to read if that book is just not letting me put it down. I'm the person that just wants to read one more chapter, but then at the end of that chapter, I totally need to go one more. Lol! Before I know it, its the next morning and I did not sleep.
Yvette1984
Currently Reading: Stranded in Paradise
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Yvette1984 »

puffbear wrote:I only allow myself to do it on the weekends. It is difficult though!
I agree! It gets increasingly difficult to stay up late as I age.
shazmoking
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazmoking.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by shazmoking »

If the book is really good I have to read for as long as I possibly can. I read all night, even when I know I have to get up and go to work. I will constantly tell myself that I am going to go to sleep when I finish the current chapter I am reading, but I get to the end of the chapter and say okay I'll just read one more then go to sleep .It is almost an obsession. I guess I convince myself that I have to know what happens next, and I have to know now not later.
DeathAngel0530

Post by DeathAngel0530 »

I've done it. I've fallen asleep while reading. I was fighting to stay awake to finish the book. Lol.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”