Reading over sleeping

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
eyeslashes
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyeslashes.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Reading over sleeping

Post by eyeslashes »

A lot of posters before me hit the nail right on the head. Just like so many others, I read, read and read till my eyes fall shut and my grip on the spine of my book goes slack. A lot of times I just wish the night had more hours for me to read through, because once I've started a good piece of fiction it won't let me go until I've consumed it entirely.

Soooo much sleep deprivation.
bookchevre
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookchevre.html

Post by bookchevre »

Reading all night, the precise reason why I bought a kindle device !
Shelbilyn09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelbilyn09.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shelbilyn09 »

I can't tell you how many times I have started a book in the late afternoon, stayed up reading all night, jumped in the shower and headed straight to work. Sleep is for the non-readers! LOL
ReadandReview
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandreview.html

Post by ReadandReview »

Oh lord yes! I once stayed up reading for so long into the night without my mom knowing that when my brother came in super late (or should I say early?), I almost had a heart attack! I was surprised out of my mind I actually screamed and woke up my family. :shock: :shock: When I read, I get so engrossed into the book it becomes like a movie for me. My family knows not to disturb me when I read unless someone is or will die. It's like pausing a movie for me when I have to stop and it's torture because that last bit you read is engraved in your memory like some sweet torture until you give in and can't STOP! :cry: ......WOW that went a little off topic there...... :mrgreen: :wink: :hand:
vivadolce96

Post by vivadolce96 »

I have stayed up a a extra hour to read a book, but usually at that point I'm so tired I just pass out. lol
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I've never stayed up ALL night reading, but I have gotten so engrossed in a book that I can't put it down. I tell myself, one more chapter, but that turns into several more until I can't keep my eyes open!
jhforres
Currently Reading: In the Kingdom of Ice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhforres.html

Post by jhforres »

Yes, I would and I have sacrificed sleep on a number of occasions to finish a good book. In fact, I have always been this way. When I was a kid (around 9 or 10) I began reading through the night and into the early morning. I just couldn't bring myself to put my book down and go to sleep. It could have been because I am a bit of a night owl, or cognitively I was craving this type of stimulation during pre-teen and adolescent development. What ever the reason, my parents were not thrilled with my late night rendezvous with my favorite book. As a result, my parents decided that if they removed the bulbs from all the lamps and light fixtures in my room, I would be unable to continue with my late night reading shenanigans. Of course I rebelled in the ever so classic passive aggressive manner that almost all teenagers embrace at some time or another. I began hiding flashlights around my room, in my underwear drawer, my closet, even in my shower. These light torches would bathe the pages of my books each night, empowering me to escape into the fantasy world of my choice. Creating life long friendships with heroes and heroines, that I still love to this day.
pmir97
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pmir97.html

Post by pmir97 »

Honestly up until a couple of weeks ago when I got out of a horrible two year long slump, I would've chose sleeping over reading any and everyday. However, I recently stopped because I realized you lose that moment you get when you're reading a great book by going to sleep. It's honestly helped me get through a lot of my TBR's, but has horribly ruined my sleep schedule.
avid reader28
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html

Post by avid reader28 »

Ya, I always stay up late reading.
mmprstn
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmprstn.html

Post by mmprstn »

I used to do this all the time! Unfortunately, because my school schedule got so busy, I was unable to upkeep my reading alongside. I can't wait for the summer to come so I can immerse myself in new books.
stephann22
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephann22.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by stephann22 »

I know it's a good book when I choose it over sleep.
LIVELOVEREAD324
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveloveread324.html

Post by LIVELOVEREAD324 »

NothingOkGrey wrote:Yes, if I let myself I'll stay up all night reading. I try not to do this anymore since it interferes with school.
I agree- school can be pretty rough and you don't want to interfere with your sleep routine (it stinks when that happens). But- sometimes when there's a juicy book and a flashlight right next to you.... 8-) 8-) 8-)
jstephens
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jstephens.html

Post by jstephens »

Yep...many times.Especially a really good bookJust one more chapter... then another...and another.....and another......
ahunter41
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahunter41.html

Post by ahunter41 »

I will read for hours instead of sleeping! Books are My escape from real life!
Kas21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kas21.html

Post by Kas21 »

I have done this to many times to count, I have stayed up many nights and read a book all night because I was so caught up in the story!!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”