Underated Books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

Underated Books

Post by suzy1124 »

Movies have " sleepers "............what books do you think deserved more notoriety ?

I nominate " Confederacy of Dunces " , John Kennedy Toole.........a Pulitzer Prize winner, yet still " unknown " by many ppl...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

I find that a lot of indy authored books are very under-read even if I find them to be very good. I try to find new authors where the first book in the series is free or only 99 cents to give them a try.
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

Aivlys wrote:I find that a lot of indy authored books are very under-read even if I find them to be very good. I try to find new authors where the first book in the series is free or only 99 cents to give them a try.

That is a great thing. Although every once in awhile I find an author where the first half of the first book is free. Then just to finish the first you have to pay 99 cents. Then the first half of book two is two dollars. Then it just keeps adding up. That is annoying. Especially for an OCD person that cannot leave a book unread.
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

My favorite reads are always the books no one else has heard of, and vice versa I rarely enjoy an overly popular book. PArt of that Im sure is my personality!
A few examples of my most recent fave books: The 13th Tale, The Witch of Cologne, and The Map of Time. Those of course are just off the top of the old noggin.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

Batesblogger wrote:
Aivlys wrote:I find that a lot of indy authored books are very under-read even if I find them to be very good. I try to find new authors where the first book in the series is free or only 99 cents to give them a try.

That is a great thing. Although every once in awhile I find an author where the first half of the first book is free. Then just to finish the first you have to pay 99 cents. Then the first half of book two is two dollars. Then it just keeps adding up. That is annoying. Especially for an OCD person that cannot leave a book unread.
I have that problem too. This one author has a serial of erotic novellas going now. The first 'book' was free and seemed like a really long short story. Okay BUT it was so hot and so addicting and amazing and ended so abruptly that I HAD to buy the rest and wait impatiently for the new installments. I hate that. I try to look up the authors to not start them until the series is done when they're so short but if I forget it drives me crazy.
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

I find that often, some Joyce Meyer books are under-rated.

For example, her book Battlefield of the Mind was so popular, yet her book Love Revolution was a flop. Now which book do you think should have been a best-seller? If you would read Love Revolution, you would understand. Even the title is enticing. Yet, it was a flop. Unreal.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents...
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
QuS
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker’s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by QuS »

suzy1124 wrote: 08 Dec 2014, 05:30 Movies have " sleepers "............what books do you think deserved more notoriety ?

I nominate " Confederacy of Dunces " , John Kennedy Toole.........a Pulitzer Prize winner, yet still " unknown " by many ppl...
I agree, but don't forget Toole's earlier and only other novel, "The Neon Bible". It's almost greater than "Confederacy of Dunces".

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”