Books as Gifts

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books as Gifts

Post by DATo »

I wouldn't recommend it unless you really, REALLY know the person you are buying for and their tastes in literature. I think a gift card is the best way to go with this one.

On the other hand I have been given a few books as gifts which were absolutely perfect. For example, my niece gave me Watership Down, by Richard Adams and my first thought was Rabbits?!, why in the hell would I want to read a children's book. Has she lost her mind? but this book proved to be one of the best and most delightful reads of my entire life. Two others were: The Godfather and Catch-22 (both given to me many years ago) which were excellent reading experiences. Then, again, I've been given a few others which I never finished.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
cmp librarian
Favorite Author: Karren Hancock
Favorite Book: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmp-librarian.html
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry

Post by cmp librarian »

Yes I give, get, and ask for books as gifts. A lot of my friends, family, and co-workers know what an avid reader I am so I have received numerous books as a gifts over the years..... my favorite though is a gift card to Barnes & Noble or some other book store, as then I can select the books I've been wanting to own or just have on my "to read" list. When I receive books as gifts I often end up reading them and then "re-gifting" them to someone else who I think would enjoy it more than I. Sometimes, I will also purchase special books or book gift cards for friends who I also know are book fans. I currently have 2 friends in the U.A.E. and there aren't very many bookstores where they are so I occasionally send them care packages that include a couple books. Books are some of the best gifts on the planet. :-)
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

But of course! Books are the best possible gifts a person can give me. I recently gave my mother a pile of Clive Cussler books and she was really happy to receive them because she needed more material so she wouldn't go crazy from boredom. I always try to give books to my sister but sadly that does not always work out so well. She's not a big reader.

I guess it really all depends on the person. I enjoy accepting the challenge of giving the gift of books to others. :D
Happily Candied
Favorite Author: Keith Donohue
Favorite Book: The Stolen Child
Currently Reading: Harry Potter
fav_author_id: 5212

Post by Happily Candied »

Books are some of my favorite gifts to give to others. I especially love seeking out special edition books that are first edition and signed by authors for my closest friends and family (the ones who also appreciate those types of treasures).

I, on the other hand, prefer to track down books myself, unless a book is given to me for sentimental reasons. I'm overly particular about the condition and history of books I own. It's both a personal quirk and a hobby.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I asked for the Little House on the Prairie boxed set with colorized illustrations and glossy pages. I'm just peeved that it only has 1-5 in the box, although 6 and 7 are at the bookstore too. I would also need 8, but I never cared for 9. (I used the word colorized because it appears that they took the original illustrations and colored them in. Pretty.) I also asked for the newer box of Harry Potter, the set with the huge panorama on the spines of Hogwarts.

My mom has an Amazon wish list with books on it, but I won't get her one, because she's behind on her reading already. (I know the feeling.) I love the concept of wish lists, though, especially with regards to books. Like a lot of previous posters have said, if you don't know someone really well, you could strike out.

Hm... maybe the nonfiction route is the way to go in that instance. A book about gardening for the gardener, etc.

I'm thinking of having some Christmas fun this year by wrapping up Fifty Shades of Gray for my mom, but putting my sister's name on the tag. As in, to Mom from Ellen (my sister). HA HA HA HA.
pageturnerreviews
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pageturnerreviews.html

Post by pageturnerreviews »

I do not often receive a book as a gift, and I am very disappointed by that. I guess it would be too easy of an option and my family would rather find the strangest gifts possible. I wish people would gift books that they know and love (rather than ones I have on a wish list). This not only expands the type of books read but also gives an insight into the person who gifted the book.
tessdelac10381

Post by tessdelac10381 »

I always consider a good book as a perfect gift to be given or received.Books have this personalized and soulful touch making giving and receiving books special. Tuesdays with Morrie,Purpose Driven Life, and Idiot's Guide to Managing Stress were just some of the books I received as gifts that until now,whenever I feel the need for personal recharging,I flip the pages of these books to just savor the message again and again.
literarylover+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarylover.html

Post by literarylover+ »

On Pinterest I saw something about this that made me laugh the other day. It said,
Dear Santa, I want books, books, books, books, and more books!
That would be me! :) I recently gifted "The Complete Collection of Sherlock Holmes" to a mystery reader. You can't go wrong giving books!
laurenepps1
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 265
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenepps1.html
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by laurenepps1 »

Everyone knows to get me a Barnes and Nobles gift card for my birthday. I'm constantly buying books so I love getting them as gifts. I usually get art books for gifts because I like to draw.
cabralesleo55

Post by cabralesleo55 »

A neighbor moved out and left with us a collection of comics and low and behold, a 1st edition of Dr. Seuss's 1958 "Sam and the Firefly". I read to my 3 children every night, just before they fall asleep. I bought 3 more books by Dr. Seuss and it is wonderful to see how my children's love for reading is growing, by the day. I don't know who is getting the greater gift; is it them or is it happy mommy who gets to be creative once again.
jkclay1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkclay1.html

Post by jkclay1 »

When you know someone well books as a gift is a fantastic idea! If not then maybe not so much. It's kinda like giving a kinda friend underwear for christmas...you just don't do it.
Krbustillos
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krbustillos.html

Post by Krbustillos »

Barnes and Noble was the first place I went to for Christmas gifts! I feel they have something for everyone even if your person isn't a loyal reader.
For myself, a B&N gift card is always on my gift wish list. Something about going in and discovering all the different stories and new authors. I make a day out of it, bright and early with my coffee and go on a journey for a new book.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

Books are one of my go-to gifts. When I give something to a friend or family member, it's usually a book or a DVD.
dizzinea

Post by dizzinea »

I do give books as gifts and love receiving them as well, I collect a couple series so for many years I would just get one of those series books as gifts it made a great gift and at least I knew I'd get something I'd like
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

If the person mentions a book they would like and I know them well, yes.
As for asking for books, sometimes.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”