Books as Gifts

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Intelligent_Cat
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intelligent-cat.html

Re: Books as Gifts

Post by Intelligent_Cat »

As long as they specifically ask for a book, definitely! Other than that, I stick to a gift card.
CYMH090909
Favorite Author: P.C. Cast
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cymh090909.html
fav_author_id: 4610

Post by CYMH090909 »

If I knew more people that read I would definitely gift books but most people I know don't read like I do. Myself on the other hand would love to get books as a gift. I have hundreds of books on my to read list and would love love love to get them.
kimcoles

Post by kimcoles »

Books as a gift is a great idea . My husband gifted me a good new collection of books with pair of reading glasses on my last birthday . I was very happy to see that he took care of my eyes also, as I love to wear different glasses .
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

Personally, I buy books as gifts for kids and maybe even teens. Beyond that I do gift cards for bookstores or Amazon.
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

I love to give books and receive them. I give my family a list of books I want. And I get a list from them. My husband is easy, I know what books he like and what he has read.
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

I always ask for books (or at least a Chapters gift card) but I don't generally give books as gifts.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

I do give books as gifts. This Christmas my mother in law is getting a new herbal remedy and natural medicines book, and my secret santa is getting a book on gambling and travel for women over 50. (she is in her 70s and just started traveling everywhere, planning a trip to lousiana next month.)

My mom is getting a bunch of books, and my little sister in law is getting a bunch of coloring and activity books.
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
mommaj159
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommaj159.html

Post by mommaj159 »

Books are a great gift for an avid reader. When i was 18, all i wanted was a bible. no, i would appreciate a great book for a gift.
anishaxo

Post by anishaxo »

I'l only give books as gifts if I know that the person likes to read. I wouldn't want to give someone a book, who is just going to leave it in a corner and never read it! I want to finish the PLL series
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

As a general rule when I am invited to a baby shower I always give a few of my favorite childrens books (The Giving Tree, The Very Busy Spider, and Stella Luna the bat just to name a few). I would love if people would give me their favorite books as a gift, its such an intimate way to learn more about the closest people in your life! Books are the best gift in my opinion.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
Lamisah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lamisah.html

Post by Lamisah »

A Book is always a good gift whether its for a 5 year old or a 85 year old you can not go wrong, personally I appreciate a book as a gift more than any other gift
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I have given and received books and I think they make wonderful gifts. Growing up I almost always asked for books for Christmas and birthdays. Last Christmas I got a kindle and an Amazon gift card -- the ultimate book gift. But books really only make great gifts when you really think about the person and the book.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I love it when people know me so well, that they just give me either a gift certificate to my local secondhand shop, or a gift card to books a million. When they put the time into knowing where I get my books, and knowing that is what I want is very sweet to me. I love it when I am reading a book, and they know that and pick up the next book in a series for me. I think that it is very thoughtful. Usually, I get clothes, (which I usually don't like, because of my eclectic taste.) So when someone knows me well enough to know what books I was looking for, I think that is it is the coolest gift ever.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
knowledgeseeker2013
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knowledgeseeker2013.html

Post by knowledgeseeker2013 »

Little House wrote:Do you give books as gifts? Do you ask for books?

I have never seen my daughter so happy as when she got about 10 of her favorite books for her birthday. She couldn't believe that we just gave her all books (which is what she wanted us to do). So for Christmas she is getting more books.

What books are you asking for or giving to others this holiday season?

When most people are hitting the mall on Black Friday, I hit the book store. This holiday season I purchased books on religion for my oldest daughter's boyfriend and books on Science for my youngest daughter. I even threw in a book on Genealogy for myself!
mmsv010929

Post by mmsv010929 »

Books make great gifts! I would love to be able to give them more often, but I find it's very difficult to know what might be good for each of my friends, so often I just end up buying giftcards. That way they can choose what they would like. Makes it less fun for me though!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”