Books as Gifts

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Hazel-Anne18
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books as Gifts

Post by Hazel-Anne18 »

Books are an awesome gift idea. I love books!!!! I remember when my parents brought me books for Christmas when I was younger. They thought I would be disappointed but boy were they wrong!!!
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

My parents go to Brazil every year for 2-3 months (my step mother is Brazilian). It is the only time of year that my father will actually sit down and read a book. When he does that, he will read a book in a day. So, true to form, every Christmas he comes up with a list of 'Brazil books' and I always get them for him for Christmas. He will come back all excited about everything that he read. It is nice to see him get happy over books- I see where I get it from now!
Loki_Reading
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loki-reading.html

Post by Loki_Reading »

I gave everyone in my family a book for Christmas this year. My family knows my love for novels, so I received a Kindle for Christmas and a large stack of books for my birthday. I couldn't be more pleased.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I love getting books as gifts. In fact, when my friends ask me what I'd like as a gift, I'd tell them books. But I read slightly raunchier material than what they read so...I end up with popular and interesting but modest reads. Well, more or less moral. A little risque but only mentioned and not described. I still love them though. I'd never have bought those books otherwise.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
aaa1234
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa1234.html

Post by aaa1234 »

A book is more than just to read. A book is to keep, treasure and most of all value. You do not just buy a book to read but for the feeling of acquiring one. Giving a book as a gift is also a good idea since you can reread it as many times as you like providing the book is good.
Baareman2003

Post by Baareman2003 »

The BEST gift there is!!!
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Oh...that sounds very nice. I love it when I get books as gifts and I love giving them as gifts.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

I make gift baskets with books! I use different themes... cookbooks, religious, fitness, etc.

Myself? I would love books as a gift! To me, books are like a million bucks.

A cool gift would be a Dollar Tree gift card and raid the books shelves there. Heck yes, a buck each book!

A very good subject!
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I loved getting gift cards for the bookstore when I was little. Now, I love the idea of giving books to others, but I have found that it is really hard to part ways with the books. I have a problem. I just feel like I would love and take care of the book better than the other person.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I ALWAYS have books on my wishlists and ask for them as gifts for Christmas, birthday, etc. My friends and I have been buying each other books since middle school/high school because of the price. We usually went for 1 book, 1 dvd, 1 cd and nowadays we buy each other books all the time for gift giving occasions, or just because. One of my co workers got me a Barnes And Noble gift card last year, and I always tell people if you don't know what books to buy me ( although I give exact titles and authors, and accept used) a Amazon or Barnes and Noble gift card is the next best thing.

What's more rare I think than getting books as a gift, is receiving an e-book as a gift. I have only received an e-book as a gift once, despite the fact I list e-books on my Amazon wishlist, and all the titles I list for e books are under $4
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
KN17488
Currently Reading: A Dog's Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by KN17488 »

I don't give books as gifts because most of my friends don't like to read. I do ask for books though because that is just one of my favorite things to do is read so getting books always excites me. It also makes me happy when people get me books without my knowledge for gifts because it's always a new book that I haven't read or even thought about reading and it gets me into a whole new genre of books which helps me explore more books than staying in a little box for reading.
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

My family doesn't ask for much either. My mom, sister and I pretty much all have the same taste in books. So I just buy a book I think they will like and put something like a nice candle along with it.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

You need to know a person really really well to risk giving a book as a gift. Coupons are much safer but so impersonal. If I am sure, I'd certainly take the plunge. I review books for a publishing house so always have a good selection of recent releases. I pile them up and all guests are invited to browse and take, or I offload at the local library, or take a package to a friend and tell her to pass on what she doesn't want. My kindle was the best present I ever received!!!!!
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I love receiving books, even if I don't like them. I love the feeling of a new book. I usually only give books as presents to those who enjoy reading them.
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

I am all for giving books as gifts to friends/family/colleagues. Also to little children, would love to them started at an early age and hope for them to fall in love with the magical world of books!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”