Books as Gifts

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Books as Gifts

Post by Little House »

Do you give books as gifts? Do you ask for books?

I have never seen my daughter so happy as when she got about 10 of her favorite books for her birthday. She couldn't believe that we just gave her all books (which is what she wanted us to do). So for Christmas she is getting more books.

What books are you asking for or giving to others this holiday season?
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

haha Books are awesome gifts. My husband is easy when it comes to books... anything having to do with sports, history, or just awesome action... and he is sold. I would be the more unpredictable when it comes to books I enjoy.... but he also already knows 23465 books on my list. We tend to be firm believers in gift card giving... haha. Unless it is something hard to find... or like going and getting it signed. Oh! And that is something I suggest to anyone on a tight budget.... you can always take a favorite book they already own and keep an eye out for the author coming by and get it signed. Some even let you mail things to them and they return it signed. Still very thoughtful gift.

Another thing that is fun is to go and buy some fiction books from a thrift shop or yard sale. Then put a cover on it and block the title page (some people rip it out, but a envelope type paper sleeve works too and doesn't hurt my soul).. anyway then the person reads the book and has to try to figure out the title.

I would list some books on my list but... I don't feel they really even count as Christmas gifts... sine I'm going to get them regardless.. hahaha. So for me I guess I like it more when it is a surprise and not on my list... or the gift card to contribute to my list. haha. Honestly, I end up happy with whatever I get.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
lincolnp
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lincolnp »

When it comes to books, I would have to say - gift card. Unless they have specifically asked for the book or it is the next book in a series that I know they are reading, I can't imagine trying to buy a book for someone else. It is sort of the same reason that I don't by clothes for my daughter (just give her the money and a budget).
MaragothThorn
Favorite Author: GK Chesterton
Favorite Book: Father Elijah by Michael D. OBrien
Currently Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maragoththorn.html
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Post by MaragothThorn »

I believe books are some of the greatest gifts ever. I have only received books as a gift only a couple of times in my life, but they helped shape my love for literature. One of the best gifts I received was an unabridged version of Treasure Island which I still cherish. Nowadays, it's better to give Amazon gift cards as gifts so people can choose the books they want.
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell
M_E_Winter

Post by M_E_Winter »

MaragothThorn wrote:I believe books are some of the greatest gifts ever.
I'm in complete agreement with you there. A good number of my friends book-read on a fairly regular basis (a handful are as avid as I am), and many of them are also in the midst of pursuing graduate and post-graduate degrees in the Arts and Humanities, so they always welcome books as gifts. Before giving someone a book, I would've done my homework on what their latest area of interest or research is, and then picked out something from the shelves I feel they would like. I do splurge on very close friends, getting them expensive or antiquarian books that they at some point mentioned in the course of conversation they wished they had but could not bear to spend on...and that goes vice versa. One of my closest friends recently headed over to Jerusalem to take her Masters in Hebrew, and before she left, she gave me a 1977 red leather-bound copy of "Pride and Prejudice" with gold-gilded page edges which was originally published by The Easton Press for someone's personal library collection. That was one of the best farewell-for-now gifts I ever received!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I love to give books as gifts. My mom is an avid reader, so I usually get a list of books she wants and pick a few to send her for the holidays. When my kids were younger, I used to order a box of Weekly Reader children's books from QVC every Christmas. It was an annual special, and there were approximately 12 books in the box. My kids really loved getting that box every Christmas, and some of the titles became their favorite books at an early age.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
dhaines429

Post by dhaines429 »

When I was a kid I used to love getting books as gifts and I give books as gifts now. The written word is still strong and there are plenty of readers out there still, even if it is on e readers. The popularity of some books attests to the fact that the printed word isn't going to disappear anytime soon. My friends daughter has been reading 'The Hunger Games' and has got more enjoyment out of reading the books than watching the movies. A book is, in my opinion, one of the best gifts that can be given to someone and you don't need to wait for a special occasion.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I actually asked for Amazon gift cards so I could pick my own books for my kindle.
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I would be so happy to get books as gifts! But I don't think I'd be able to give someone a book as a gift because I wouldn't be able to part with it. The favorite gift that my fiance has given to me to date has been a book. It wasn't even for a special occasion or anything. He was grocery shopping with his grandfather and when he came over afterwards he just gave me a kiss and handed me a book because he had just picked it up to look at and thought I might like it. Coming from someone who I've spent 4 years trying to get him to even look at a book, with small successes recently, it was one of the nicest things I had ever heard. It was honestly just so nice. If someone gave me a book as a gift I would be beside myself with joy and gratitude.
Dommelms

Post by Dommelms »

I love getting books as gifts! I tend to gravitate towards the same authors when I go to the book store so when someone gives me a book as a gift or even just recommends a book, it gives me an opportunity to expand my author inventory.
E-Frapp
Favorite Author: Hemingway - King
Favorite Book: A Moveable Feast
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-frapp.html

Post by E-Frapp »

Books are the best gifts!! My favorite Christmas gifts as a kid were always books. I tend to give gift cards for books/e-books instead, so the recipient can really enjoy the book they choose. This year I know the specific book my dad wants, so I'm going with the actual book. Can't wait to give it to him!!
Where will you be in a year?
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

The greatest gift EVER!
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Books are the best gifts in my opinion! Electronic books are nice also; therefore gift cards for ebooks are great as well. I'll take either! I also gift both kinds also.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Sometimes I send my friend random books as gifts (through Amazon) and she will open up her email and be like WHOA! I got a present! That's awesome.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

My daughter gave me the gift " that never stops giving "

She bought me my kindle, and keeps adding books to it...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”