Must read books!

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jordyn21
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordyn21.html

Must read books!

Post by jordyn21 »

People often say that there are books that everyone just has to read in their lifetime. What is the number one book in your opinions that everyone MUST read?

If I had to choose just one book I would say Of Mice and Men.
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
~Marilyn Monroe
tamara_mc41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-mc41.html

Post by tamara_mc41 »

Gena showalter - white chronicle
cell - by Stephen king
go ask alice - cant remember author
water for elphants
crank - Hopkins
house of leaves - mark Z.
dangerous angles - weetzie bat series
and so many more but those r my top fave I think
jordyn21
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordyn21.html

Post by jordyn21 »

tamara_mc41 wrote:Gena showalter - white chronicle
cell - by Stephen king
go ask alice - cant remember author
water for elphants
crank - Hopkins
house of leaves - mark Z.
dangerous angles - weetzie bat series
and so many more but those r my top fave I think
You are supposed to pick one!! Haha I know it is hard but that is the challenge! Great choices though.
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
~Marilyn Monroe
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

I find it interesting that Tamara chose Cell by Stephen King. I have also read it, and it seems to be the one book where I run into the least amount of people who have also read it. While it was very good, I don't think I could say it was life changing or anything.

Gosh, this is a hard post to reply to. I am tempted to list a bunch of books as well. A part of me wants to say the Bible, I am pretty afraid of the backlash, but I think the people who visit this site are probably mature enough to recognize its impact on society as well as literature. Can't really deny its overwhelming influence, and I would recommend it as worthwhile at the most basic level of looking into something of its caliber of world alteration.

Right now I guess the book popping into my head the most is The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. I read it at a pivotal point in my life and it just really hit me deeply and opened me up to a whole new world of perspective. I've actually argued at length with my brother over it. He feels it isn't a 'good' book, to him it is just horrible, and 'yet it is a classic.' And I get all moody and explain, yet again, that a book doesn't have to be about good things to be a 'good' book. haha.
I love LOVE. <3
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Skillian wrote:
Gosh, this is a hard post to reply to. I am tempted to list a bunch of books as well. A part of me wants to say the Bible, I am pretty afraid of the backlash, but I think the people who visit this site are probably mature enough to recognize its impact on society as well as literature. Can't really deny its overwhelming influence, and I would recommend it as worthwhile at the most basic level of looking into something of its caliber of world alteration.
I do not see how recommending the Bible would be a bad or controversial thing. You are just stating your opinion and not forcing anybody to read it or anything like that. So I wouldn't worry about it if I was you. :D

The one book I would recommend is Pilgrim's Progress. It is simply such a powerful book! 8)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Making a choice such as this smacks of " one-size fits all "............what one reads is an entirely subjective / personal choice not open to another person's opinion /personal choice...

IMHO, stating ones FAVORITE BOOK, vs. " must read" books express the same idea, but w/different " nuances "

RSS, the reason Skillian has " apprehensions " is simply because most ppl on forums lean to the LEFT ( I've yet to figure out WHY ? ) and take offense at the mere mention of God!

I know from what I've experienced right on this site...nothing short of a verbal assault simply because I mentioned the word: " God ".....( the TATTOO thread )........
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html

Post by Skillian »

lol rssllue you are so funny with your sunglasses smiley recommending Pilgrim's Progress on multiple postings. I see what you did there! And thanks for the reassurance! I guess I've just had some bad experiences with it in the past :p And thanks for relating suzy1124 that is so unfortunate that you went through that kind of reaction on here. Luckily I've had a really good experience so far and haven't really fallen into any altercations. Phew!
I love LOVE. <3
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Skillian

That's WHY I'm so thrilled to have RSS on here now to " balance things out ! "...........trust me, the person who took offense at my mentioning of the word " God " wouldn't dare tangle w/ RSS who has way too much GRAVITAS... 8)

( for whatever reason she became ENRAGED that I was not a fan of tattoos and piercings, coupled w/a " belief in God ", FAGHETABOWTIT!... :roll: )

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
ylisa7
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

jordyn21 wrote:People often say that there are books that everyone just has to read in their lifetime. What is the number one book in your opinions that everyone MUST read?

I can't do it. A favorite TV show of mine was called 30 days. It puts people on the opposite side of what they believe. For me to get the most impact from a book it needs to do that. Take me away from my comfort zone and teach me to be more empathetic to others around us and what they go through. On that note it also has to keep me entertained and not be a snore fest, lol.

As for people getting bashed for what they read, I don't really care. I may not understand their choices but there is no reason to get into it :wink:
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Syntheticaudio
Favorite Author: Scarlett Thomas
Favorite Book: The Holy Machine - The End Of Mr Y
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syntheticaudio.html
fav_author_id: 26639

Post by Syntheticaudio »

This really is difficult. I'm torn between choosing a truly fantastic Classic or rather a book that I truly loved which I feel like other people might not know or appreciate as much.

I think I would have to go for The Holy Machine by Chris Beckett. When I meet people who love to read scifi like I do that is usually the one I lend them first.
I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over.
Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

|Kurt Vonnegut|
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

suzy1124 wrote:Skillian

That's WHY I'm so thrilled to have RSS on here now to " balance things out ! "...........trust me, the person who took offense at my mentioning of the word " God " wouldn't dare tangle w/ RSS who has way too much GRAVITAS... 8)

( for whatever reason she became ENRAGED that I was not a fan of tattoos and piercings, coupled w/a " belief in God ", FAGHETABOWTIT!... :roll: )
Somehow I don't see you having too much trouble pushing back at somebody like that. :wink: :D You probably mopped the forum floor with her! :lol:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

TY RUSSELL!...let's just say that my childhood days were spent on the streets of NYC ( The Bronx ), held me in good stead for understanding and dealing w/BULLIES!.......

This one is no different except for the added dimension of being an " aging hippy " who most likely sees the world thru a haze of smoke from her Woodstock Bong... :wink:

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
[irenecunningham]93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irenecunningham-93.html

Post by [irenecunningham]93 »

Picking just one is difficult... There are so many reasons to open a book. A book can be education, a book can be informative.
For classics, I have to say 1984 by George Orwell. It is a dark, tragic piece that explores human corruption and greed and how easy it is to fall prey to wanting to be ignorant of who is in power in society.
For fiction, I have to say Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult, or one of her other's such as Sing Me Home or Nineteen Minutes. All of these books explore different family dynamics and aspects of the human condition. Be warned though, each book is deeply emotional. Each story is tense with fear, with love, hope, loss, and pain. You will cry.
For fantasy, I have to recommend Eragon or Harry Potter. I know they are wildly popular and already a favorite, but I have yet to read a big favorite. Well. Ink Spell and Ink Heart were terrific too. So maybe give those a try.
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
Amna Khalid
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

I don't know of any book that falls in this category, I will other like to get people's opinion on this subject.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”