Christian Books.

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Re: Christian Books.

Post by rssllue »

Having too many books to read is a good problem to have! ;) :D As well as a nice challenge! 8) :roll:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
knighthkm
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Also too many
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knighthkm.html
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce

Post by knighthkm »

One of my favorite Christian authors would have to be C. S Lewis. Check out The Screwtape Letters! Its like Christianity from a demons perspective. Screwtape a demon leader writes letters to his nephew trying to correct his ways as far as being a better tempter goes.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

I just started Pilgrims Progress today. :D I actually feel like I've already read it before... its eerily familiar. I'm beginning to wonder if I had read it as a kid.

And woa... The Screwtape Letters sounds really interesting. What a cool take on it all... and kind of creepy, but definitely intriguing.
I love LOVE. <3
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

And if you like The Screwtape Letters, then you should try Lord Foulgrin's Letters by Randy Alcorn. It is excellent! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

Anything by CS Lewis! I've heard he writes good books on theology, but I haven't read them. I enjoy his fantasy series though!
There are weapons you cannot hold in your hands. You can only hold them in your mind.
-Brian Herbert
ylisa7
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

knighthkm wrote:One of my favorite Christian authors would have to be C. S Lewis. Check out The Screwtape Letters! Its like Christianity from a demons perspective. Screwtape a demon leader writes letters to his nephew trying to correct his ways as far as being a better tempter goes.
Thanks for that. I only knew about The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe series by him which I read and enjoyed many moons ago.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
knighthkm
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Also too many
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knighthkm.html

Post by knighthkm »

rssllue wrote:And if you like The Screwtape Letters, then you should try Lord Foulgrin's Letters by Randy Alcorn. It is excellent! :D
I'll definitely check it out!
designerrosa
Favorite Author: Michael LeBoeuf
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: The Richest Man in Babylon by G. Classon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-designerrosa.html

Post by designerrosa »

rssllue wrote:I would start by recommending Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan just because it is such an awesome book to experience. Beyond that, there are many great authors of Christian fiction that also fall into a lot of other genres as well so I guess that it would depend on what type of genre you really enjoy reading to give more pointed examples of ones you might like. And excellent topic by the way too! :D
Pilgrim's Progress is spot on and timeless. I believe Bunyan was somewhat ahead of his times with that classic.
kybunnies
Favorite Author: Richard Adams
Favorite Book: Watership Down
Currently Reading: Eyewitness
Bookshelf Size: 3958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kybunnies.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4206

Post by kybunnies »

I enjoy reading Christian fiction & non-fiction.
The Touch by Randell Wallace
Behold the Lamb of God by Russ Ramsey
Citizen by Rob Peabody

is a few non-fiction I have read and really enjoyed.
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

I was talking to my hubby about this thread and he said that C.S. Lewis was like super smart and just good at communicating things.. and he was buds with J. R. R. Tolkien and that he is the reason Tolkien became Christian. I wonder how true that is. Have yall hear anything about it? I tried googling but got some really mixed results. haha.
I love LOVE. <3
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

This is sooo awesome. Thank you Skillian for starting this thread. I am going to have to come back with a paper and pen and write these all down. I am in a book club at my church, but we don't necessarily read Christian literature. Last year we read East of Eden - wonderful book. My fellow book club members were a little less than thrilled by my choice for November - Galileo's Daughter. Excellent book. Totally non-fiction. I liked it. :( Anyway, maybe I can offer one of these as an option. :)
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

You are very welcome! haha And awww that's a shame when people can't enjoy works due to differing opinions ... I assume they didn't like it do to the whole... "whose early-seventeenth-century clash with Catholic doctrine continues to define the schism between science and religion-the man Albert Einstein called "the father of modern physics-indeed of modern science altogether."" thing. I haven't read it myself, but I was looking it up to see if I could guess as to why they didn't like it. That is something I worry about in suggesting a book.. for the book of the month... would be if people generally didn't like it. haha
I love LOVE. <3
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

One of my fave books " A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis ".........great solace for me from this stunningly written story while he was grieving for the loss of his wife, Joy...

Also,two INCREDIBLE movies were based on the book!...Anthony Hopkins playing C.S. Lewis in " SHADOWLANDS " was superb!
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
cmp librarian
Favorite Author: Karren Hancock
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmp-librarian.html
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry

Post by cmp librarian »

I have read a number of Christian books both fiction and non-fiction. The fictional books usually have the same quality of writing and good story-lines and "regular" fiction stories. Of course occasionally you find an author or a book that isn't so great, but that's true of books that aren't labeled "Christian" as well. If you are interested in reading Ted Dekker, you might also enjoy Frank Peretti or James L. Rubart.
As to the non-fiction Christian books one of my favorites that I highly recommend is "I don't have Enough Faith to be an Atheist" by Neil something... I forget his name. Or "How to Kill 11 million People" by Andy Andrews.
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry
474lizzie

Post by 474lizzie »

Skillian wrote:I've actually purchased books thinking ooo this sounds good.. then like two chapters in I'm like wait I've already read this.... *read a little more* yes I definitely have. In my defense it was a classic and I thought I simply had heard of it a lot already but didn't think I had read it already. I would blame age but I think I'm still too young for that. haha. We should coin a new term... fiction fog? Book fart. Literary brain damage... I might be suffering from some right now with this horrid ideas.

Hahah I do the same thing

-- 27 Nov 2014, 16:22 --

Oh and Ted dekker black,red,white and green books are great!!!! Frank peretti this presence darkness was WONDERFUL!!!!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”