Christian Books.

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ctravis01
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctravis01.html

Re: Christian Books.

Post by ctravis01 »

Skillian wrote:haha. My reading list has grown exponentially since I started on this site. Oh man.
Mine too. Best part is a conversation with my youngest son at dinner last night. I'm telling him about the site and he asks if this means he'll get to read more books too.
MaragothThorn
Favorite Author: GK Chesterton
Favorite Book: Father Elijah by Michael D. OBrien
Currently Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maragoththorn.html
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Post by MaragothThorn »

Although some may sound preachy, some really excellent Christian books are any of GK Chesterton's novels or Michael D. O'Brien. If you're a die hard book lover who loves profound messages as well as the story, then these are for you.
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MarieMc »

I have enjoyed books by Frank Peretti. Very entertaining, adventurous and exciting reading.

http://frankperetti.com/
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Guy! Going on a library trip tomorrow! I'm tempted to get every one of these books I can ... and utterly overwhelm myself. hehehe.
I love LOVE. <3
noelle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by noelle »

My favorite christian book is Basket Of Flowers... Sometime I think that people are too good in some books... You mayt hink so in this book but it's still good.
mallardmishaps
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallardmishaps.html

Post by mallardmishaps »

cmp librarian wrote:I have read a number of Christian books both fiction and non-fiction. The fictional books usually have the same quality of writing and good story-lines and "regular" fiction stories. Of course occasionally you find an author or a book that isn't so great, but that's true of books that aren't labeled "Christian" as well. If you are interested in reading Ted Dekker, you might also enjoy Frank Peretti or James L. Rubart.
As to the non-fiction Christian books one of my favorites that I highly recommend is "I don't have Enough Faith to be an Atheist" by Neil something... I forget his name. Or "How to Kill 11 million People" by Andy Andrews.
Hmm wasn't "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist" by Norman Geisler/Frank whatchamacallhim? I've heard good things about it, though I've not read it myself and have no particular intention to since I've just gotten a number of books with (what is likely to be) very similar content.

As for Christian books I've enjoyed/would recommend - definitely C.S. Lewis. I recently re-read Narnia and it was amazing. Although it's fiction, I think he portrayed the Christian worldview very well through these works. I also love The Great Divorce by him, which is short but beautifully written allegory.

With regard to non-fiction, I'd definitely recommend John Piper's work. Don't Waste Your Life (which can be downloaded as a pdf if you just google it - I think it's been made freely available) has really stuck with me and challenged my perspective on life and what have you so I'd definitely recommend that :)
SammieWonder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiewonder.html

Post by SammieWonder »

I find most Christian books to be pretty cheesy. Especially those about dating.

Dating in Black and White was written by a pastor at my church and though I throughouly enjoyed the class he and his wife held on the topic, I can't bring myself to finish the book. It's not well written and/or it wasn't edited at all.

Daily Devotionals for Dating Couple is the only devo book out there for not engaged couples and it's full of all kinds of cheese. It's quite sad.
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

I'm reading 'The Red Tent' by Anita Diamant.... sooooo cool.

And yeah... I've felt that way a lot too. That Christian books can be kind of cheesy and/or preachy.... but I am finding out that in all genres there are cheesy and preachy books. hahaha. But yeah... and the more I look the more good books I am surprised to find within the Christian genre.
I love LOVE. <3
JessiAnne26
Currently Reading: A Novel Bookstore
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessianne26.html
Latest Review: "Positive Thinking Positive Life: The Mindset" by Phil Hunter

Post by JessiAnne26 »

I just read the book Captivating by John & Staci Eldridge. It was recommended to me by a co-worker and while it was definitely a Christian book i think it was more constructive than a lot of Christian books might be. I think if you just let your mind be open to anything and everything you'll always learn something regardless of where it comes from. I like the comments here about not getting too preachy though, i think i give a book a chance i don't need the author trying to coerce me into believing something i simply won't.
Latest Review: "Positive Thinking Positive Life: The Mindset" by Phil Hunter
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

I just recently started reading Christian fiction and a good author I found is Virginia Smith. Her two books 'Just As I Am' and 'Sincerely, Maya' surprised me. Yes, they were a bit preachy, but overall good.
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

Nice. Yeah some preachy is OK. Especially is it's positive. What I really can't handle is if it gets negative on me. Then I'm like blehhh hahaha. And also when they get too repetative and really try to drive a notion home. haha.

Oh and thanks for the suggestions. I'll check those out. 8)
I love LOVE. <3
aSquared
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asquared.html

Post by aSquared »

I absolutely love Christian historical fiction. I love historical fiction in general, and am a Christian so while I don't limit myself to this genre, I enjoy the blend of the two.

I HIGHLY recommend The Mark of the Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers. Well, I recommend anything by Francine Rivers if you like historical fiction, but that was my favorite series by her. Her writing draws you in with excellent character development and intriguing story lines. She also clearly spends a significant time researching as her books seem to be historically and culturally accurate.

I recently started reading Lynn Austin. Her series Chronicles of the Kings really brings to life part of the Old Testament of the Bible. The Refiner's Fire trilogy takes place during the US civil war and the books are from the perspectives of a Southern woman, a woman in the North, and a slave.

I've also read some really boring and predictable Christian books, but you can find those in any genre! ;)
hutteriteteacher
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hutteriteteacher.html

Post by hutteriteteacher »

I enjoy a wide variety of Christian Fiction and Non-Fiction. Some of my favorite authors are Julie Klassen, Melanie Dickerson, Lisa Tawn Bergren, Janice Cantore, Jeff Dixon, Frank Peretti, Beverly Lewis, Wanda Brunstetter, Lisa Harris, Sandra Orchard, and Karen Witemeyer. These are just a few of the ones I enjoy. I enjoy a good action/romance mystery that has a Christian basis but is not overly done.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

After giving this a little thought I do remember reading some interesting books by Andrew M. Greeley. He was a priest who wrote some detective stories. Stories like "Cardinal Virtues", "The Priestly Sins", and "Thy Brother's Wife". He had another one that had Murder in its title but I can't find it. Other authors that surprised me were: Kathleen Norris and "The Cloister Walk"; Frank Bianco and "Voices in Silence: Lives of the Trappists Today"; anything by Thomas Merton for example, "Entering the Silence". All good reads.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
ElphabaEvans
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elphabaevans.html

Post by ElphabaEvans »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been getting back in to Christian music but hadn't given much thought to Christian books. You've all provided quite a list for me to try out!!!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”