Being called weird for loving to read books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Asadun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33

Being called weird for loving to read books

Post by Asadun »

Have you ever been seen as weird for loving to read novels or books in general?

Me, I have been seen as weird, called weird and even sometimes pressurized to leave the book. It is one of the most constant thing in my life being looked at as weird for loving to read. I just distance my self from them because books are one of the most constant thing in my life.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

Yes. All the time. I get excited when I find another reading friend because they get me. I think with so many streaming possibilities, the idea of turning off the tv and reading is foreign. I also wonder if people just aren’t sure what to read. They were not encouraged when they were young, so they don’t know what genre or topics they actually like.
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

It was when I was young. I couldn't put the science fiction book down in my grandparents' where everybody was gathered. Finally my mother told me to stop the book because everyone was seeing me as weird. After that moment I started began reading privately.
Henry Patrovic
Favorite Book: A Touch of Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-patrovic.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Henry Patrovic »

People in school sometimes find me weird be a I spend a lot of time reading. Luckily I managed to convince a friend to try a book I read, and now we constantly talk about them.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

My husband is a TV guy. I'm a book gal. I'm not sure he totally gets me, but he has long stopped pressuring me to watch TV with him, haha. I haven't had anyone make fun of me; that would be sad!
Lisa Marie Shardlow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-marie-shardlow.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Lisa Marie Shardlow »

If that’s the case, I must be a total weirdo! My mum doesn’t understand how I can just sit there and read for hours because surely that must be boring (that’s what she thinks). But no, I’ve never actually been called weird because of it.
ArdentPeruser
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardentperuser.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by ArdentPeruser »

While my classmates were busy chatting about things that I found no interest in, I was always that one person who was happily sitting in the corner of the room with a book in hand. At first, they find it peculiar, but they just let me be.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I haven't, and I'm glad about it. I've always been a bit nerd but I was so open and happy about it, so people never took it against me.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

While my classmates were busy chatting about things that I found no interest in, I was always that one person who was happily sitting in the corner of the room with a book in hand. At first, they find it peculiar, but they just let me be.
McAlpine
Currently Reading: The IHOP Papers
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by McAlpine »

In high school, I was sometimes called a bookworm. The term was meant to be derogatory. It was associated with being weird. I rationalized the accusation, thinking that I could not stop reading in school. I put the logic to work in conversations with my friends, and defeated the public shame that was meant to pass over me. It was an irony, really. Occasional boredom with my classmates had made me into a bookworm. It was the fault of my detractors that I read books so much. I was very happy that I settled the problem nicely!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I haven't been called weird for reading books. People are just curious why I am always glued to my phone since I always read on my phone. I don't care if they think I am just browsing social media. They never know I'm working, and I love it. I work privately. I think I must upgrade my reading gadget sooner! :lol: :lol2:
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Myrah Kay
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myrah-kay.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Myrah Kay »

I've been called weird so many times because of my love for books. I read everywhere whenever I get a chance, and that leads to me being seen as a weirdo.
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

People can think or say whatever they want. I have been called weird, nerd, and dork for reading books, sometimes in jest and other times not so much. It is what it is, if people want to cling to high school name calling as adults, let them. They are not worth your time.
Book author of A Story of the Beginning and the No Tears series.
Author Page: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/author.php?a=259269

"I guess every once in a while both suns shine on a womp rats tail." - The Mandalorian
Phillip Ngoua Obame
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phillip-ngoua-obame.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Phillip Ngoua Obame »

Yeah, particularly during my high school years. However, I have learned to prioritize my own interests and not let other people's opinions affect me too much. It's important to embrace what makes us unique and pursue our passions without fear of judgment.
Εν οίδα ότι ουδέν οίδα
Bianca Morano
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

I am not being called weird but I am probably treated like one. I read most of the time to make myself look busy and avoid social conversations or small talk. People at school used to tease me a lot to talk once in a while to add value to their conversation or else I will go mute. Even if I tell them I don't like being teased they still continue to do so. It was like deliberate and it always comes off with some condescending tone. I do know how to talk to people, esp when it's urgent. Maybe that kind of rude interactions with people made me anti-social and introverted who prefers books over people. Thus what made me come off as someone weird bookworm in some way.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”