What's the worst book you ever read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
lady_carrie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lady_carrie »

The Da Vinci Code. Can't see what all the fuss was about. It was so boring. I had to make myself read it all the way though, just to see if it got any better, which it didn't. I haven't tried any of the other 'Dan Brown' books.
Lyrat

Post by Lyrat »

Woah. Totally disagree about Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. It was an amazingly deep book. Although I find that a lot of the time, if you're made to read something for a class you come to dislike it. I think that's why so many people are frustrated with Shakespear. They're taught him poorly and often times too early. But I dod really like that book. I love cloning themes.

I did however, absolutely detest:

Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code because it was horrendous and predictable formulaic writing by an unoriginal author who stole his ideas. Not that Shakespear didn't steal his but I like him better than Dan Brown. That book sucked.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fullblooded agnostic and I loved Lamb by Christopher Moore (which you should all read because it's f*cking hilarious) so it's not because I was offended. I own Holy Blood Holy Grail.

The book just sucked.

The End.
Dori

Post by Dori »

LoveHatesYou wrote:
metroidhunter9292 wrote:
awelker wrote:ive noticed that a lot of the books that i have been forced to read in school i absolutly hated. i hate everything about them and sometimes refused to read them. but now that i don't have that class i actually think, i mean think, about re-reading them to see if i can get more out of them. i mean most of the books that i read for my American Lit class i hated with a passion but now thinking about it i might one day re-read them .
I Think that is ABSOLUTELY true. I always hate books that are forced upon me from those buildings of pure EVIL.

(By the way, a book I hated was The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I thought it was Extremely disturbing.)
I thought the majority of the books taught in school were good books taught badly- and that did the books and injustice- you associate the books with that time perios and the teachers and atmoshere. Though to this day I will not read the Scarlett Letter.
My english teacher this year is amazing. I've always preferred male teachers to female, and this one is no exception. My class is currently reading some short stories (and excerpts), including "The Devil and Tom Walker", "The Camp of the Wild Horse", and "The Minister's Black Veil." English class is a lot better than last year. Last year we only read The Scarlet Letter and Macbeth.

Before I forget, what did you dislike about The Scarlet Letter, LoveHatesYou? I thought it was wonderful. Unfortunately, I wasn't blessed with the great teacher that I have now when I read it. I've become rather attached to Hawthorne's writing as a result of reading some of his works in English class.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

The Gunslinger. I hated that book. It gave me nothing exciting about the plot.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Butterbescotch wrote:The Gunslinger. I hated that book. It gave me nothing exciting about the plot.
Hmm, I wonder why.. If you are talking about The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - It isn't the worst out of the series, King always made that special something to make a terrible book just... Less terrible.
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

Jacob wrote:
Butterbescotch wrote:The Gunslinger. I hated that book. It gave me nothing exciting about the plot.
Hmm, I wonder why.. If you are talking about The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - It isn't the worst out of the series, King always made that special something to make a terrible book just... Less terrible.
I also really didn't care for the first dark tower book, but I found the second and third to be quite enjoyable. I just finished the fourth, Wizard and Glass, and would honestly say it's worse than th Gunslinger, most of the book was just plain boring, and at this point, seemingly unescesary.

On the topic of the worst books I ever read, it is a three way tie. They are: the Twilight series, Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks, and The House on Mango Street. Twilight, as I've proabbly said many times, has a cliche plot, ruins the image of vampires, and has exceedingly poor and juvenile prose. Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks, was just plain terrible(I was forced to read this because I somehow got placed in a chick lit club in the eighth grade. Don't ask how, because I have no clue.). All it is is an inane slut-fest that focuses on the everday life of an idiot teenage girl.

And finally, The House on Mango Street was a depressing and poorly written novel that gets you called a rascist if you critisize it. It's symbolism was overdone, forced, and goofy, while the main character is portrayed inconsistently and in a cliche fashion.

Man I hated those books.
GotThatSwing

Post by GotThatSwing »

I don't remember the title of the book but it was some chick lit. I actually had to stop reading it after few pages because it had the most idiotic plot ever. It was about a man and a woman who were taking part in a reality show in which they had to marry each other and then spend honeymoon in some island. I can tell I disliked many books in my life, but I don't think I ever hated any like this one. I bought it very cheap.
Lolita. Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Sophius wrote:
Jacob wrote:
I also really didn't care for the first dark tower book, but I found the second and third to be quite enjoyable. I just finished the fourth, Wizard and Glass, and would honestly say it's worse than th Gunslinger, most of the book was just plain boring, and at this point, seemingly unescesary.

On the topic of the worst books I ever read, it is a three way tie. They are: the Twilight series, Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks, and The House on Mango Street. Twilight, as I've proabbly said many times, has a cliche plot, ruins the image of vampires, and has exceedingly poor and juvenile prose. Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks, was just plain terrible(I was forced to read this because I somehow got placed in a chick lit club in the eighth grade. Don't ask how, because I have no clue.). All it is is an inane slut-fest that focuses on the everday life of an idiot teenage girl.

And finally, The House on Mango Street was a depressing and poorly written novel that gets you called a rascist if you critisize it. It's symbolism was overdone, forced, and goofy, while the main character is portrayed inconsistently and in a cliche fashion.

Man I hated those books.
I agree, I just stay away from those books. I figured we have already complained enough, just stay away. I've always hated what the creators of Twilight did the true vampires, but most of you know because anything that has to do with twilight, I always remark.
"I HATE WHAT THEY DID TO VAMPIRES"
But I do, they've just completely ruined them and made some sort of fashion out of it that the girls in school just love! Makes me sick.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

The worst book I ever read was Rock Hudson's autobiography. He wrote it just before he died, and he describes some of the experiences he had with guys he had affairs with and what they did to each other. I couldnt even finish it, it was sickening.
VerdeMar

Post by VerdeMar »

I only read the books I enjoy so I do not have a worst one. Firstly I go for book reviews and analise a book, if it does not satisfy my intellectual need I will not read it is simple. How can even people read a book that they do not like ? Sounds scary...
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Thats what I should have done with this one but it was reccomended by several critics but obviously they didnt know what they were talking about or they were seriously perverted.
shootseven

Post by shootseven »

I'm not sure I want to mention the name and bash on the author, but it was a book about the war time activities of Allan Pinkerton and his detective agency. Allan Pinkerton wrote a number of books, and the thing that an historian who has studies Pinkerton knows, much of what appeared in Pinkerton's books was pure fiction. This author, however, took everything Pinkerton said as fact, even repeating much of Pinkerton's fictitious dialogue in this supposedly nonfiction book. Any academic published would have rejected it, but it wasn't published with an academic publisher and now, unfortunately, people who don't know any better are reading this book and taking what is in it as fact.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

The Old Man and the Sea. I had to read it for a book report and hated reading it, but forced myself to finish.

Recently I signed up for Kindle Unlimited and was disappointed with several of the books: Mirror Mirror, Morning Sickness, and Origin of Paradise.
Yolanda Denise
Currently Reading: In the Fullness of Time
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yolanda-denise.html

Post by Yolanda Denise »

The worst book I remember reading was Anthem by Ayn Rand. I read it while in eighth grade, and I remember being totally disinterested in it.
ande-ny
Currently Reading: The Heir
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ande-ny.html
Reading Device: B01C5QLN7A

Post by ande-ny »

I'm probably a major anomaly when stating this but I strongly disliked Invisible Man. :snooty:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”