What's the worst book you ever read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
callalilly
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by callalilly »

I really hated "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs. That book was really dumb. I was so disappointed.
bibliolatrist

Post by bibliolatrist »

I also hated The Memory Keeper's Daughter. Sucky writing and unbelievable plot.

Other awful reads:

White Apples, by Jonathan Carroll (I got some hate mail about this one after a particularly mean review on my site, but oh well.)

White Noise, by Don DeLillo was just plain painful to read.

Prep, by Curtis Sittenfeld. Here's the entire book in a nutshell: Waah waah I don't fit in, they are rich and I am not, waah waah waah...oh wait, he's cute.

There are others, I'm sure, but I need to think of them :D
awelker

Post by awelker »

i like your review of Prep. that made me definetly want to read it, not!
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

bibliolatrist wrote:Prep, by Curtis Sittenfeld. Here's the entire book in a nutshell: Waah waah I don't fit in, they are rich and I am not, waah waah waah...oh wait, he's cute.
I think I know that person!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

bernie

Post by bernie »

I recently read Zadie Smith's White Teeth and didn't like it one bit - it just tried too hard to be hip and wry and ostentatiously multicultural but it just left me empty. And the ending was all a bit silly.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I felt the same bernie with On Beauty. I just couldn't find anything I liked about it, though I know others have raved on her books.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

knightss

Post by knightss »

awelker wrote:i like your review of Prep. that made me definetly want to read it, not!
haha that was pretty funny
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
awelker

Post by awelker »

i try!
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

Dori

Post by Dori »

I absolutely hated The Birth of Venus (Sarah Dunant). But perhaps that's because I am a guy.

Also, I hated Forged in Battle (a fantasy book). The prologue convinced me enough to stop reading.
knightss

Post by knightss »

Dori wrote:I absolutely hated The Birth of Venus (Sarah Dunant). But perhaps that's because I am a guy.
Really? It was nothing great, but i thought it was an easy and entertaining read. Besides the fact that it was very predictable i didn't think it was bad for historical fiction.
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
Dori

Post by Dori »

knightss wrote:
Dori wrote:I absolutely hated The Birth of Venus (Sarah Dunant). But perhaps that's because I am a guy.
Really? It was nothing great, but i thought it was an easy and entertaining read. Besides the fact that it was very predictable i didn't think it was bad for historical fiction.
Perhaps I'm exagerating a bit. However, it is not something I would ever think about reading a second time. Nor is it something I would recommend.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Madame Bovary
Hated it. It took forever for me to finish it.
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

The Boy on the Bus-by Deborah Schupack

complete crap and waste of time
awelker

Post by awelker »

Ill keep that one in mind. thanks for the tip to not read it.

Sofia

Post by Sofia »

it could of been good. the set up was excellent...then it was all down hill from there :roll:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”