LGBT+ Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: LGBT+ Books?

Post by Gravy »

Update!

Luna by Julie Anne Peters
Transgender m to f YA.

Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant.
Sci-fi/horror (killer mermaids).
Bi main protag. and a lesbian side protag.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ravenmarie
Currently Reading: The Pearl
Bookshelf Size: 59

Post by ravenmarie »

my personal favorites are the miseducation of cameron post by emily m. danforth, jack holmes and his friend by edmund white, carry on by rainbow rowell, and we are the ants by shaun david hutchinson. these are all vastly different stories, but i love them all very much!
AlainaElric
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by AlainaElric »

My favorite book series by Jacqueline Carey, the Kushiel Legacy series, has main characters who follow a law; Love as thou wilt. (This of course means their law doesn't force marriages distasteful to their citizens, and insists that one can love another no matter gender). Phedre (the heroine in the first three books) love both males and females, as many in the book do. Her adopted brother Aluin is in love with their Master (holder of their marque who adopted them into his household).
sarahh4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sarahh4 »

Have a look at More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera. I haven’t actually read it yet but it’s on my list
Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Helga_ »

A Greater Music by Bae Suah (the English version of the Korean novel The Essayist's Desk)

This is the only one I've read so far. I didn't notice it's about a lesbian couple, either in the original or the translated version. I've realized that the idea of lesbian romance wasn't something I was used to at that time. I missed all those clues, all the subtle descriptions. As you can guess, the novel doesn't deal with trials and tribulations of LGBT relationships caused by their sexual orientation. You know, it's simply about love in general. I've reread it once, but the fact that the protagonist's ex-lover is a female doesn't bring any changes in my perspective. It remains to be a memorable story esp. in terms of its overall sentiment.
Carlton Carr wrote: 05 Nov 2014, 04:26 There are so many excellent books with LGBT protagonists that I have narrowed my suggestions down to a handful that I consider to be classics:

The Swimming Pool Library by Allan Hollinghurst
Tales of the City (Series) by Armistead Maupin
Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
Maurice by E M Forster
The Well Of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall
The Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren

Thank you for an excellent thread, I'm sure I'll be returning to it to update this list as more LGBT themed books occur to me.
(adding Giovanni's Room to my to-read list for the summer...) Thanks for the mention :)
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by MikleoKrein »

There are plenty of published LGBT books in Chinese. I love reading those books.

In English books though, I honestly haven't read a published English LGBT book. I saw a few in bookstores, but the summary is always about 'Coming of Age', 'Coming Out', 'He likes him, but I like him, but that other guy that he likes - likes me instead'. I don't know, even with Hetero books, I steer clear from books like that.

Even in the mainstream media, majority of the LGBT films consists of bittersweet or tragic endings. Can anyone recommend an LGBT book with a generally carefree feel with a happy ending?

I can recommend numerous well-written LGBT books, but they are unpublished and only written online.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

ravenmarie wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 09:45 my personal favorites are the miseducation of cameron post by emily m. danforth, jack holmes and his friend by edmund white, carry on by rainbow rowell, and we are the ants by shaun david hutchinson. these are all vastly different stories, but i love them all very much!
I've just recently read Carry On by Rainbow Rowell and it really is very good! I ate it up in just about 3 days haha

Another book I've just finished is Running With Lions by Julian Winters. It's pretty new and is a very, very good book.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Blackfish City by Sam J. Miller has a few LGBTQ+ characters, including a f/f couple, and a genderfluid teen.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Kiisme
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =52409">12 Shades of Surrender</a>
Currently Reading: An Accidental Affair
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiisme.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kiisme »

Harper Bliss is a good lesbian writer but he has a thing for older women if you don't mind.
Kiisme
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =52409">12 Shades of Surrender</a>
Currently Reading: An Accidental Affair
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiisme.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kiisme »

MikleoKrein wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 14:55 There are plenty of published LGBT books in Chinese. I love reading those books.

In English books though, I honestly haven't read a published English LGBT book. I saw a few in bookstores, but the summary is always about 'Coming of Age', 'Coming Out', 'He likes him, but I like him, but that other guy that he likes - likes me instead'. I don't know, even with Hetero books, I steer clear from books like that.

Even in the mainstream media, majority of the LGBT films consists of bittersweet or tragic endings. Can anyone recommend an LGBT book with a generally carefree feel with a happy ending?

I can recommend numerous well-written LGBT books, but they are unpublished and only written online.
Try Harper Bliss collection
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I found it hard to find interesting fiction in this genre in western literature so I moved East. There are a lot of translated
Web novels from China, Korea and Japan whose main characters are not straight. One can go to a site called novelupdates.com which consolidates all translated novels from Asia specifically China, korea and Japan, and using filters these books will come up.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (YA Contemporary/gay/not explicit)
Cam Girl by Leah Raeder (NA Romance/lesbian/explicit)
Black Iris by Leah Raeder (NA Romance/lesbian/explicit)
Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller (YA Fantasy/genderfluid/unsure if explicit)
Two Boys Kissing David Levithan (YA Contemporary/gay/unsure if explicit)
Everyday David Levithan (YA Sci-Fi/gender fluid/not explicit)
The Abyss Surrounds Us Emily Skrutskie (YA Fantasy/lesbian/not explicit)
History is All You Left Me Adam Silvera (YA Contemporary/gay/not explicit)
They Both Die at the End Adam Silvera (YA Sci-Fi/gay/not explicit)

P.S. Leah Raeder is Elliot Wake's former name. He has another book I've yet to read called Bad Boy. If you don't mind super steamy scenes, check him out. He is a stunning writer.
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

Recently I read a book called Me Inside by Martha miller. The protagonist in this book is a lesbian
Also I read a book named A man called Ove by Fredrik Backman. The book contains a gay representative character.
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo
The jasmine throne
The priory of the orange tree
Cemetery boys
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant