Reading on the computer

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Re: Reading on the computer

Post by vaz222 »

I do not enjoy reading on the computer because it hurts my eyes. I prefer paper books when at all possible. I guess my eyes are sensitive to light.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I will read on my iPad if I have to, but I would definitely prefer an actual book.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I've done it. I'm not a huge fan. It just doesn't quite work for me. I don't like the scrolling aspect of it and aside from fan fiction, which I haven't read much of as I've gotten older, I really just don't enjoy reading on the computer.
pink boy
Currently Reading: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by pink boy »

I hate reading electronically. I much prefer having the physical book. I like the way it smells, and I like to watch my progress through the pages...
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

pink boy wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 12:09 I hate reading electronically. I much prefer having the physical book. I like the way it smells, and I like to watch my progress through the pages...
I totally agree, although I found out one feature that I like on the iPad for book reviews. If you notice mistakes on the book you just have to highlight them and when you ready to write your review they're all there.
Alexandralb2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alexandralb2 »

I read on all forms of media - hard back, paperback, ebook and computer, I must say though, maybe its a hangover from my University days..... The computer is usually more for Non-fiction, where I have to concentrate hard to learn and take in everything I read, all other forms of reading I can do while curled up on a couch! The laptop requires me to sit at a table. Silly things that get drummed into you while studying!
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I'm doing most of my "non-paper" reading on computer these days.

Most of the books I read are for work or review. Reading on the computer allows me to keep a document open where I can pull quotes, take notes, summarize, create action plans, track errors, etc.

I've just found this more efficient if I read on my laptop.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

I read 70% of my books from my computer. However, I would prefer to read the tangible books if given a choice. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than leafing through the pages smelling the scents of wisdom in old books. I also find it fascinating the way the book always looks thicker after every round of reading it. It's like a left a part of me in there the same way I have carried most of it in my heart.
Reading is dreaming with your eyes open. :techie-studyinggray:
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I can see how one could say it's like an over-sized e-reader but I don't like it. My problem could also be that I work online so my computer is my "work" so to speak and therefore not the place I go to relax and read.
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I've read books on my laptop before, but I only do so when there's no other format for the book available. There's something about the screen that makes it hard to get into the book. Plus, I find it puts a lot more strain on my eyes compared to my Kobo or a physical book.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Oh Yes indeed I do! And I prefer mobile devices for on the go traveling. :tiphat:
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I hate reading on the computer. I'd rather read from my Kindle or just a printed one.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
tvess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by tvess »

When I'm at home in the space I usually read, I prefer a book. I used to be the same way everywhere, but I recently bought a Surface Pro and I've found that I prefer it when I'm anywhere but my reading-space. It feels less noticeable than a book. I can move it around, though, holding it in my hand more like a book than a laptop. Plus, it has the functionality of a laptop so I can easily swap over to that if I need to.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I read on kindle, I tried the computer and didn't like it. So went back to kindle. But I do store backup copies of my e-books on the computer.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

I always wondered, if reading books makes you smarter and spending too much time on the computer makes you blind, then wouldn't that defeat the purpose. :?

I prefer paper because, unlike technology, you don't have to keep charging the battery to get to the next chapter. Further, you only have to pay once to use a paper book you own...think about it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”