Are you a book sniffer?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Re: Are you a book sniffer?

Post by klwoodford »

I love the smell of books and will forever be a book sniffer. That's interesting about being able to tell which book is best by its smell! I may have to try that out.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I love to smell books! They have the greatest smell in the whole world. Everybody knows that I smell books, but I’m already weird so they don’t care! I thought that I was the only person like this!
swlly
Currently Reading: City of Bones; (The Mortal Instuments)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swlly.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by swlly »

Yes! Especially new books, they smell so good and clean!
Kiisme
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =52409">12 Shades of Surrender</a>
Currently Reading: An Accidental Affair
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiisme.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kiisme »

I would never deliberately sniff a book especially if it's not new. I have mold allergies.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I love the smell of books!! I think walking in to the library or a bookstore is great because the smell of the paper and ink hits you as soon as you walk in. While I love my Kindle because of the ease for traveling, I do miss the smell of an actual paperback or hardcover!
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

mellysw wrote: 12 Oct 2014, 01:22 I can always tell a good book by how it smells. I KNOW that sounds wierd! I KNOW! But it is so true! I swear, if you sent me to a bookstore (new or used, doesn't matter) and gave me two AWESOME books I really wanted but told me I could only have one, I would sniff them to figure out which one I wanted. After I cried and whined and begged to have both of course! But by sniffing the pages, I would be able to tell which would be better, even if I can't tell from the blurbs.
I've sniffed a few books in my life but I've never heard of being able to tell how good a book is based on how it smells. You must be psychic? :lol2:
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

Yes! I love the smell of books!!
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

definitely. that earthy, trusty smell. books are my drug.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Yes! I especially love smelling new books! And when I'm in a used bookstore, I just take in the smell and I love it!
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

My sister is so bad for this she does does it all the time but when she finds a good one and tells me to smell it to i love it.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

mellysw wrote: 12 Oct 2014, 01:22 This used to be a huge secret of mine. The only person who knew I sniffed books (god that sounds so awful!) was my best friend, who thought I was wierd anyway. But recently I have discovered a LOT of readers sniff books out there!

So do you sniff your books?

I can always tell a good book by how it smells. I KNOW that sounds wierd! I KNOW! But it is so true! I swear, if you sent me to a bookstore (new or used, doesn't matter) and gave me two AWESOME books I really wanted but told me I could only have one, I would sniff them to figure out which one I wanted. After I cried and whined and begged to have both of course! But by sniffing the pages, I would be able to tell which would be better, even if I can't tell from the blurbs.

And there is a technique to it! Sure, you can just lean over and get a whiff. Most of the time that is not enough though! You need to faaaaaannnnnn the pages out to really get a good whiff of it's real smell.

I promise you, every book smells different. I have opened boxes of books I had stored away in a closet for years, and the books still retain their individual smells. Strong environmental odors CAN affect their individual smells over a long time though. There is one book from my childhood where I love the smell so much I keep it in a ziplock bag so nothing affects it's smell. No lie, I swear it! As a matter of fact I will go take a whiff of it right now....be right back....

Ahhh....the smell of childhood.... This is the one thing I miss using my e-reader.

Anyway! Tell me about how you sniff your books, if you do!
I didn't come to be a book-sniffer on my own. My friend would sit there and sniff, and I'd be like, "What the hell are you doing?" I tried it once out of curiosity, and kept on sniffing until I finally understood what they were talking about. But I didn't know that every book has it's own smell! That is so cool. And keeping a book in a ziplock bag to retain its smell? Hilarious. :)
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Hahaha, this sounds so weird, haven't imagined of this but I think it's just something psychological that you are undergoing.
Bshord21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Bshord21 »

I am definitely a book sniffer! I think people who read a lot are all closet book sniffers, you can’t ignore the smell of old pages and the memories and joy they bring when you sit down to read your favorite book
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I most definitely am! I love to sniff old books with yellowed pages.
mads05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by mads05 »

I definitely don't go around smelling every book I see, but I do like the smell of a new book I just bought.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”