What interesting stuff have you found in secondhand books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Anna Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

What interesting stuff have you found in secondhand books?

Post by Anna Meyer »

I once read a secondhand book and found a business card of a Japanese Company in it... also in another secondhand book... I found a grocery shopping list.... a birthday card to someone's mom, if I can remember correctly ... notes the previous reader made along the pages (but I don't read the notes, previous owners made).
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
Isha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Isha »

Iñ second hand books I have found answers to questions, detailed information, the previous owner's information, highlight of the important sentences and topics and so much more. It was quite easier. Unlike new books, the only difference is new and used. Doesn't matter, same information or even more.
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

I found a letter from an older woman to a young girl. It was so sweet, and it was accompanied by a drawing and a phone number. I almost felt like I was intruding on someone's private life, but it made my day (the sweet letter that is, not the fact that I was seeing something I wasn't supposed to).
There are weapons you cannot hold in your hands. You can only hold them in your mind.
-Brian Herbert
MaryMathis

Post by MaryMathis »

There are many things I find while reading the secondhand book like a chit writing for memories, list of things kept in the middle of the page, important lines highlighted, important topics etc.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I found a boarding pass for a flight from twenty-some years previous in one of mine.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

A winning scratch off lottery ticket once. I've also found pictures, bookmarks, dried flowers, and cookie crumbs. Used books can be an adventure.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

The one thing I always encounter is a scrap piece of paper with a notation for another book in the library. I will usually hunt it down and see what the person who had the book before me was interested in.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
Anna Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html

Post by Anna Meyer »

Wow, it sounds interesting, almost like a "treasure hunt" ... quite an adventure, yes!
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I once found handwritten message inside the cover of a used book that mentioned a woman whose name was the same as mine. My name is not very common, so I am very surprised whenever I meet or hear about someone who shares my name.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

One that stands out for me is a message from a mother to her daughter. It was very sweet, and I almost wanted to find either of them and make sure they got the book back - because maybe it would be a nice thing to keep. I would have kept something like that for sure.

Another one that stands out for me is a book from my Grandmother; just inside the cover she had put some newspaper clippings of my Mom and my Grandpa, and then forgot about them. I have them :)
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

This one time I actually found a perfectly preserved butterfly between the pages of a children's book. I guess someone wanted to keep the butterfly and thought a book would be a good place to store it. A bit like when people keep flowers pressed in books.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I have found old newspaper clippings and stamps in a few that I have.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

I have not found anything special that I recall, however I believe that some folk hide bank notes in books!!
Jackie Levy
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Jackie Levy »

I once found a death certificate and nd wondered why something so important was in the book
Jessiebessie123
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Jessiebessie123 »

A photo with a note on it saying "my ex".

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”