What interesting stuff have you found in secondhand books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
interrupted_girl
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: What interesting stuff have you found in secondhand book

Post by interrupted_girl »

Owners name, one who was gifted the book to name, shopping receipts, pen marks... But the most precious of all is the smell and feel of used books.
Thank you⛄️
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

Some one highlighted everytime someone died. Never ever will I buy a used Game of Thrones book on Ebay.
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
Catherine and AJ
Currently Reading: Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by Catherine and AJ »

In one secondhand book, I found a boarding pass for a plane in Europe. Considering I've never been out of the country and collect items from other countries, this was a great find. Someone seemed to have used this as a bookmark, which I thought very similar to how I just grab the handiest scrap of paper and use it as a bookmark.
sweetpinabel
Currently Reading: The Wonder
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetpinabel.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by sweetpinabel »

For some reason, I find a lot of plane ticket stubs in books? I think the most interesting were for Frankfurt, Germany, and Tokyo. I also found a bookmark from the Grand Canyon gift shop once. I still use it.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
cstegmil
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cstegmil.html
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish

Post by cstegmil »

I'm not sure this was 'interesting' but while on vacation in Mexico there was a donation box of used books. I found one I had been anxious to read and settled in for a few days with it. Came to the ending and someone had tore out the last chapter, and included a note that had a smiley face and the word "gotcha".....I wasn't too thrilled.
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I found an author-autographed copy of Under Orders by Dick Francis. Dick Francis is one of my favorite authors but he passed on in 2010 at 89. Under Orders was his last book written solo. His next three books were co-authored by his son Felix.
patrickt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by patrickt »

I was called to a used bookstore because someone had dropped off a few boxes of books they'd found in the garage of a home they'd bought. In one box, a few books were removed exposing sawdust with odd globules of glue. When the owner of the bookstore pulled out a piece of red paper that had DuPont printed on it she got concerned. It was old, and very unstable dynamite.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

I've usually only found old library slips or handwritten notes. In one book, the reader was quite annoyed with the author and had several "corrections" written in the margins!
peace starts with a smile...
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I have found a lot of notes from the previous owners. One time I found a (I believe) a love letter from about 80 years ago, it was very sweet and I still have it
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk

Post by Manang Muyang »

patrickt wrote:I was called to a used bookstore because someone had dropped off a few boxes of books they'd found in the garage of a home they'd bought. In one box, a few books were removed exposing sawdust with odd globules of glue. When the owner of the bookstore pulled out a piece of red paper that had DuPont printed on it she got concerned. It was old, and very unstable dynamite.
Do you mean there was actual dynamite there or just the wrapper? If just the wrapper, the books must have been thrillers and the owner, a certified prankster.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

This is one of my favorite things to do with used books. I've found money, notes, unusual book markers, cards, newspaper clippings, dried flowers, pictures, and business cards. It's exciting to see what treasure I'll find within the treasure. I love how it gives a brief glimpse of another's life.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

Something I find interesting in secondhand books is the stuff that people will write in the books. Sometimes I find names of people that the book used to belong to that I know.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Notes from another reader, signed copies, limited editions or first editions, plus box sets
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

I found a child's letter to Santa in a used cookbook that I picked up at the Goodwill. It made me smile because it reminded me so much of the type of letter my kids would write. The letter asked for typical things a kid would want like video games and Transformers. It also included a request that Santa not give the same toys to his brother because his brother was always copying him and the brother hadn't been all that good anyway. I still have the letter and I keep it in the cookbook.
Rumbly
Favorite Book: Warlock of the Magus World Series
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Rumbly »

Well I used to buy lots of secondhand textbooks for class and a few had notes some even answered questions in the book so LOL

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”