Do errors bother you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Do errors bother you?

Post by GabbiV »

I like looking out for them because I like to remember that books are made by people and are therefore imperfect, but the only time it bothered me was when I had just bought a new Percy Jackson addition and there was a misprint that spanned from the climax to the end of the book.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

Written errors don't bother me at all. My problem is when I choose to listen to an audiobook. They can have more than one book read by more than one narrator. Mostly because different people will pronounce words differently. That can really annoy me.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Depends on how many errors. If there are only a couple, I don’t mind very much. I’ve seen a few books that had 3-4 really obvious errors and it did get annoying. As a kid I encountered one in a story collection where one story was about a boy named Jerry and another about a different boy named Berry and somewhere there was a typo switching the names and I seriously thought we were talking about the other kid and couldn’t understand how he showed up in this story.
Gracetailor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracetailor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gracetailor »

Well, I could ignore if the errors did not disrupt my understanding of the novel, but when I have to because of errors, read a line or a sentence three or more times, then it’s a no-no for me.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Gracetailor wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 04:24 Well, I could ignore if the errors did not disrupt my understanding of the novel, but when I have to because of errors, read a line or a sentence three or more times, then it’s a no-no for me.
I agree, like in the instance of if the author uses the wrong word and I have to figure out what they mean instead, that's what annoys me.
mnmueller
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnmueller.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mnmueller »

Every time I notice an error I want to rant. I get just as annoyed with myself as I get with others, but I really get annoyed when it's in a published book. Factual errors are tied with name errors for most annoying. If they are particularly confusing or upsetting I will stop reading immediately. Slight spelling errors or switching words I can usually tolerate better, but if it averages more than one a chapter I may not be able to finish the book. However, if the mistake makes the whole paragraph not make sense, I'm usually done with the story.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

They do bother me a good bit. I understand a typo or grammatical error once in a while but it just takes me out of the book so abruptly.
230 men
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 230 men »

They don't
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

One or two doesn't phase me much, but when a book is riddled with errors, I can barely contain my disappointment.
alangner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alangner.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by alangner »

I actually went looking for a post about errors in the forum to see if it bothers other people as much as it bothers me.

I'm reviewing a book right now and the author's improper use of commas is driving me insane. It's a good book. I'm enjoying the actual story, but there are clear-cut rules about comma usage that the author either doesn't know or is just ignoring.

I'll freely admit that I'm probably a little more anal than most people about spelling, word usage, and punctuation than most people because I'm a transcriptionist. However, if you're going to put something out to the public to read, then you should make sure it isn't riddled with errors.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

Errors like that take me right out of the story, so it makes it difficult to enjoy the book at all. A couple of glaring errors I can forgive and just get back in, but if there are too many, I'm out.
bclayton13

Post by bclayton13 »

alangner wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 14:48 I actually went looking for a post about errors in the forum to see if it bothers other people as much as it bothers me.

I'm reviewing a book right now and the author's improper use of commas is driving me insane. It's a good book. I'm enjoying the actual story, but there are clear-cut rules about comma usage that the author either doesn't know or is just ignoring.

I'll freely admit that I'm probably a little more anal than most people about spelling, word usage, and punctuation than most people because I'm a transcriptionist. However, if you're going to put something out to the public to read, then you should make sure it isn't riddled with errors.
I absolutely agree. I recently reviewed a books that had a couple of homonym errors that made me grimace. "Peak" does not equal "peek". I can understand that the spellcheck missed it... and maybe the editor did... but I didn't, and it bothered me.
alangner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alangner.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by alangner »

bclayton13 wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 01:09 I absolutely agree. I recently reviewed a books that had a couple of homonym errors that made me grimace. "Peak" does not equal "peek". I can understand that the spellcheck missed it... and maybe the editor did... but I didn't, and it bothered me.
Oi! That would bother me. I just finished a book where the author used "etymologist" instead of "entomologist" and it stopped me in my tracks every time I saw it.
bclayton13

Post by bclayton13 »

alangner wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 04:13
bclayton13 wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 01:09 I absolutely agree. I recently reviewed a books that had a couple of homonym errors that made me grimace. "Peak" does not equal "peek". I can understand that the spellcheck missed it... and maybe the editor did... but I didn't, and it bothered me.
Oi! That would bother me. I just finished a book where the author used "etymologist" instead of "entomologist" and it stopped me in my tracks every time I saw it.
Errors always take me right out of the story too. It completely ruins the immersion. Luckily it only happened a couple of times so I was able to forgive it.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Poorly edited books are hard for me to even read. The errors are all I notice.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”