Do errors bother you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
KBirr166
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbirr166.html

Re: Do errors bother you?

Post by KBirr166 »

I am somewhat of a control freak when it comes to reading so yes, errors do tend to bother me. However, if the book is a good one, I can pass by the mistake much easier.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Errors on most pages....... yes, they bother me and make me wonder if the author had anyone else look at his/her work prior to publication.

A couple of errors in an entire book? No, not bothered.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Hawgangel67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawgangel67.html

Post by Hawgangel67 »

Errors absolutely bother me. :) I had an author send me two ebooks to read and review for her on Amazon once. There were a few times where I found spelling errors, and I even pointed them out to her. I could not believe that someone did not proofread the book well enough before it went to print, but I guess with being able to do your own publishing these days, that easily can be done. If I even see a spelling error in an Ebay listing, I won't look at the listing anymore, much less purchase from that Buyer.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Errors, especially spelling errors that happen frequently will pop me out of the story and that is so not a great way to enjoy a book :/
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

It usually doesn't stop me from finishing the book or even enjoying it for that matter, but it does get annoying when they're so bad that you're trying to figure out what is even going on.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Bea Angela

Post by Bea Angela »

It depends on the errors. I had read a book that has errors (wrong spelling) but it's understandable. But if I read a book has a lot, I'll just stop reading it.
huskylover5
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huskylover5.html
Latest Review: "Generations Beyond" by J.A. & P.W. Stinger

Post by huskylover5 »

it depends on how big or noticeable the error is..if it big then i flip out and start making the changes in the books myself with a pencil, but if its minor i just leave it but make a mental note of it. however to see those errors is kinda a good thing because if there weren't any then it would look to perfect. idk it usually depends
Latest Review: "Generations Beyond" by J.A. & P.W. Stinger
k_marie0930
Currently Reading: Throne of Glass
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by k_marie0930 »

patrickt wrote:If there are enough of those type of errors I'll dump the book. If the author doesn't have enough respect for his work to correct them, or have them corrected, I won't bother reading.
I agree! If it takes me twice as much effort to decipher an author's writing, then it's extremely difficult for me to stay interested. I also abhor continuity errors. It's hard to follow a story when the author decides to make a change halfway through the story to a detail that was established in the beginning of the book. Or they wrote half of the story with the main character's name as one thing, but decided to change it to something completely different without making sure it was updated throughout.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I wouldn't say that the errors "bother" me but I do notice them and always wonder - why did the editor or proof reader miss this? Repeated words or the use of a wrong name in dialogue bug me the most.
TDee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tdee.html

Post by TDee »

If it's a great book/story i find that i'm more forgiving. If i feel that it's a bad book in general, my thought is always, "You couldn't at least get the grammar/ spelling right?"
furybeginner
Currently Reading: Needful Things
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-furybeginner.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by furybeginner »

I'm not excellent when it comes to grammar so the more subtle the error, the less I notice. I would still read a book with grammar mistakes as long as I can still understand what's going on.
Spelling errors, though, are a nightmare. I have read e-books where there's a spelling mistake every 5 pages. The desire to finish reading is usually the only thing that would keep me from ditching these books.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Dravyn98
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Dravyn98 »

The main thing that bothers me is typos. I'll pick up a pen and correct it if i think to do
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

If the are few and far between, I'm able to move on and ignore them. But there have been times where the errors were too off-putting for me to enjoy the book.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

I do not register small errors so no, they do not bother me.
Tiger33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiger33.html

Post by Tiger33 »

If they don't effect the meaning of the book, then no.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”