Do errors bother you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jacque33
Currently Reading: Intrusion
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacque33.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Do errors bother you?

Post by Jacque33 »

I can't say that I've run into what I would consider errors. I've seen a typo or two and although they pull me out of the story for a moment it is easy to slip back in. Sometimes a strangely worded sentence will get to me and I'll have to go back and reread, but it's annoying at worst. As for unexperienced or new authors, there are plenty of resources out there for editing! There is really no excuse for major errors.
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

If the book has all kinds of errors in it and if they prove to be a huge distraction with the flow of the story, then I'd dump the book right then and there. Major technical errors doesn't really help the author's credibility.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

If there are a few mistakes, I'm usually able to overlook them.
But if there are so many that it interrupts my flow of reading, then yes, it's very annoying
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

It bothers me if I lose track of the idea being presented and have to figure out what they were trying to say. Simple errors that I can easily read through don't really bother me, but I do think it is unprofessional.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

bruin wrote:It bothers me if I lose track of the idea being presented and have to figure out what they were trying to say. Simple errors that I can easily read through don't really bother me, but I do think it is unprofessional.
Exactly what I wanted to say. You phrased it much better than me though! :lol:
hwong
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hwong.html
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson

Post by hwong »

Errors do bother me so. It just breaks the flow of the paragraph I'm reading and then I'll be mad that I'm thinking about that typo instead, especially if it's supposed to be a different word or if they mistakenly contradicted themselves.
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

Absolutely. They drive me crazy. If it's only one or two throughout the whole book, it is no big deal. In a long novel that's bound to happen.

However, if there are constant errors in grammar, sentence structure, or spelling/punctuation, a book will go to my won't finish pile. It is much too distracting.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
bmysti00
Currently Reading: Queen Sugar
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bmysti00.html

Post by bmysti00 »

Minor errors here and there I can deal with. Things happen. I have grown out of being a grammar/spelling witch. The same with continuity and things of that nature. Frequent errors riddled throughout to the point where I am jarred out of the book is a deal breaker.
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

I can deal with occasional grammatical errors. However, if the author has tried very hard to use perfect grammar and complex words, it shows and that bothers me
smhawkins
Currently Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smhawkins.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by smhawkins »

I think misspellings bother me more than anything else.

Errors don't bother me too much. I'm using to reading prose and modern or post-modern works that are pretty out there (i.e. House of Leaves).
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
Ann2305
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann2305.html

Post by Ann2305 »

It drives me crazy! I am an absolute grammar nazi!
wagthefox
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by wagthefox »

They used to bother me, and then as I became more familiar with what goes into making a published book, I became a little more forgiving on the occasional error. But they can still be jarring if they happen often enough in the same book.
MrsRay
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsray.html

Post by MrsRay »

I am bothered by mistakes in print. I ask myself, "Didn't they have someone proofread this?" They could have hired me! Electronic proofreading is good up to a point, but nothing beats having a human being reading the text carefully. If a wrong word is used the software won't necessarily pick it up because the word is spelled correctly. It REALLY bothers me when I find mistakes in my own typing.
shaila_catan
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaila-catan.html

Post by shaila_catan »

If I'm into the book I honestly hardly notice and correct the words in my mind while I'm reading but if the book hasn't hooked me then yes, it bothers me a lot!
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

It really depends on the type of errors for me. If there are only a few errors, like a small punctuation error, then I don't really mind. However, if there are really many grammatical and punctuation errors all over the book and it disrupts my reading, then it really starts to bother me. I especially hate formatting errors in books.
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”