Do errors bother you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: Do errors bother you?

Post by MikleoKrein »

Immensely.

If it's rampant, I can't read it.
efa2009
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by efa2009 »

They really irritate me.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Yes, errors bother me, but sometimes I consider inappropriate language that is used by most authors to be more worrying.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

If the errors are few and far in between, not much of a problem. I have only come across very few badly edited books and they were quite distracting, in fact if I remember well, have had to put them down. Books are such wonderful companions and being badly edited makes them very less so.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Bukari wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 16:42 Yes, errors bother me, but sometimes I consider inappropriate language that is used by most authors to be more worrying.
Unlike most errors, language is rather subjective. What one person considers inappropriate is just fine to another person. Often, it depends on context as well.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
alangner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alangner.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by alangner »

Bukari wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 16:42 Yes, errors bother me, but sometimes I consider inappropriate language that is used by most authors to be more worrying.
Oftentimes, I won't even notice language because profanity doesn't set off my radar. Now, a misplaced comma or missing quotation marks...that I notice every time, as well as misspelled words and improper homophones. I just finished one last night that kept using here for hear and there for their. That's unacceptable to me.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

Errors bother me--some more than others. Errors are especially irksome for me when they disrupt the flow of my reading. For example, I read a book a couple of months ago written by a non-native speaker of English. He confused the words envious and enviable. I can make allowances for that because it didn't disrupt the flow; my mind made the correction instantly. But errors that force me to stop, go back, reread, decipher, doubt, reread again...UGH!
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

Typically, if it's just one or two errors, I'll just kinda sit there, stare at it, think about how I feel about it or if I feel anything at all, then go back to reading.

If it's a lot of them, they'll definitely start to get under my skin, but I'll still read the book anyway. It's just an annoyance and makes the book drag on, but I have this thing about not finishing books, so it is what it is.
Yvonne_kadzo1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Yvonne_kadzo1 »

Minimal errors i don't mind, as long i can get to understand the message from the story then i'm good
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I think if you're paying for a story, the author should be held to a higher standard, but if the work is free, then the author deserves a lot of slack. Additionally, I see a lot of foreign authors complaining American readers trash them for spelling grammar when the only mistake is using the Queen's English instead of American English. That said, errors don't really bother me, and I actually enjoy them when the error changes the passage into something unintended. One that always comes to mind was an author who constantly had his characters putting a "slave" on their wounds. And as someone who enjoys foreign authors, I'll look the other way when I know English isn't their first language.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Errors don’t so much bother me as long as I can understand what is going on or the point the author is trying to make. Everyone makes a mistake sometimes
Chelsea N. Hackett
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

To be honest, I have trouble noticing small errors. My brain just overlooks them easily unless I am really focused on editing. They don't bother me unless it is a misused word or something of that nature.
Christineegm
Favorite Book: And I Darken
Currently Reading: Love and Friendship
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christineegm.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Christineegm »

Errors are a nuisance and really annoying but unless there are too many to smoothly read the book then it generally does not dissuade me from finishing the book.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

Occasionally, errors will get on my nerves. The easier the errors are, the more I notice them. I just cannot stand an easily made error that is even easier to fix and easy to notice during proofreading. He
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

The occasional error I can forgive. But multiple errors are too much.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”