Do errors bother you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Scolletapie
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scolletapie.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Re: Do errors bother you?

Post by Scolletapie »

When I get a book to read, I expect professionalism in the work that is from the choice of language, editing to the point of publishing.
Some mistakes that I come across when reading a book puts me off.
However,human beings are not made of perfection.Mistakes do happen, and when the errors are unfelt,I do withstand.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Atheinne
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by Atheinne »

YEEES! I understand that the world is imperfect but mispellimgs and wrong grammars makes me cringe. A lot.
Placid Distortion
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-placid-distortion.html
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by Placid Distortion »

The occassional error, although if I catch it may be cause for giggles, isn't typically a deal-breaker on whether I enjoy the work or not; I get it, errors slip through from time to time and semetimes it can be amusing. However, if there's enough of them and not even close to being few and far between, then it goes from amusing to annoying because on top of being unprofessional, I find it difficult to remain immersed in whatever story is being told.
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
victorycoffee
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorycoffee.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by victorycoffee »

It really kills the mood for me, which is stupid as we all make mistakes from time to time. I'm pretty fanatical about languages though, so I tend to be quite specific with the way I use every part of the language and I expect the same from something that has been professionally edited and published... even if that's a little harsh an expectation to hold
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Yes errors really bother me. If I pick up a book, whether its a free book or one that I have purchased, it seems somewhat disrespectful to the reader to have a lot of errors. It can feel like the author has just quickly written something up and hasn't taken the time to re-read it.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I think it depends on the book and the number of errors. I find it more annoying to see books with so many errors that it is clear the author themselves has little understanding of grammar. Typos are understandable. They happen all the time and even really good proofreading is likely to miss one or two on occasion.

But books like 50 Shades of Grey that get published and widespread popularity infuriate me. That book was chalk full of errors and terribly written...but somehow it was published with terrible writing and terrible editing and far too many people didn't see it as an egregious insult to literature. It bugs me immensely.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

They should, at least much more than they do. I don't really notice typos if the book is otherwise good. I only see images in my head, not letters. It only disturbs my reading if it's very obvious. I have a friend that is incredibly careful reader. Some books I loved because of its content, she couldn't even read. Sadly, this also reflects my writing and proofreading skills.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

When reading I find myself mentally correcting any errors I find. One thing that bothers me a lot when it comes to certain books and authors is their limited vocabulary or their favoritism towards certain words. As well as the fact that some authors recap and remind you of events in the series or even events that happened earlier in the same book. I understand why they do it though, not everyone reads books at the same rate, but it does get bothersome.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Mailis »

Yes. It dumbs down the text. Especially annoying are errors when you are reading a book aloud to someone and you have to stumble over the errors and make automatic corrections so the listener doesn't notice the mistakes and is still gripped by the story.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

As long as the errors are not detracting from the reading experience, no, it doesn't bother me.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SparklesonPages »

Errors do become a bother, particularly when they are frequent. I get annoyed and I may not complete the book if they are too rampant.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

They bug me very much. Usually, they make the sentence so garbled I have to read it a few times to figure out what they were trying to say. Sometimes it's small stuff like "the" or "a" so it's only a small annoyance, but when it's so bad it seems like they lost their train of thought and went elsewhere halfway through a sentence, it really gets on my nerves. Also, most of my vocabulary and punctuation I learned from reading so many books. When they aren't edited properly it's enforcing incorrect rules.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

I have actually dumped a few books because of the errors in the sentences. They confused and irritated me.
-R
Chantelvr1
Currently Reading: The Devil's Fool
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chantelvr1.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Chantelvr1 »

They irritate me! I'm a full time typist and my work has to be perfect (or as perfect as I can make it :lol: ), so I can easily spot errors and it makes me want to throttle the person who did the editing! :?
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

If there's only a few errors, I'll still finish reading. If there's more than that, then I think my inner perfectionist would be screaming to fix them. And yes, I would stop reading right then and there.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”