Upcoming Releases You Can't Wait For?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: Upcoming Releases You Can't Wait For?

Post by Gravy »

SPasciuti wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 16:12 I don't think this book is very well known at the moment, but I'm <i>dying</i> to read The Wendy by Erin Michelle Sky. It's out January 16th, but I'm receiving an ARC tomorrow, so I'm really excited.
What is it? Sounds like a possible Peter Pan reimagining. :eusa-think:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Gravy wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 22:58
SPasciuti wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 16:12 I don't think this book is very well known at the moment, but I'm <i>dying</i> to read The Wendy by Erin Michelle Sky. It's out January 16th, but I'm receiving an ARC tomorrow, so I'm really excited.
It is! It's got a very unique premise, though. Wendy is an orphaned girl who's biggest dream is to be the Captain of a ship in a world where girls are expected to go be dressmaker's apprentices. I wont quote the entire summary here, but I was definitely hooked from the moment I read it.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

SPasciuti wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 23:40
It is! It's got a very unique premise, though. Wendy is an orphaned girl who's biggest dream is to be the Captain of a ship in a world where girls are expected to go be dressmaker's apprentices. I wont quote the entire summary here, but I was definitely hooked from the moment I read it.
I have to give this a look, thank you!
I love reimaginings and retellings. :romance-wub:

SPasciuti
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>

Post by SPasciuti »

Gravy wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 00:21

You're welcome! :D
Me too! My first one was Cinder, actually, and I've been actively seeking them out ever since. I'll pretty much read any retelling these days, I love them so much. Bonus points for Peter Pan though, tbh.
treestand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treestand.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by treestand »

I’m waiting on two books:
The Dark Calling by Kresley Cole (Arcana Series) and Rage by Cora McCormack.

They’re both YA novels with amazing storylines. I usually don’t read YA due to the fact I’m not in that age range anymore; but these two series are wonderful!
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

SPasciuti wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 02:31

Me too! My first one was Cinder, actually, and I've been actively seeking them out ever since. I'll pretty much read any retelling these days, I love them so much. Bonus points for Peter Pan though, tbh.
Alice is my weakness. :lol:

Christina Henry has a Peter Pan reimagining, it's focus is on Hook's backstory, and why he hates Peter so much. It was quite interesting. Very dark. All her reimagings are very dark.

She also has two Alice books, and is coming out with Mermaid. :D

I just can't keep up with all the retellings/reimaginings that I want to read!

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! Please let me know your thoughts on it after you finish it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
SPasciuti

Post by SPasciuti »

Gravy wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 23:31
SPasciuti wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 02:31

Alice is my weakness. :lol:

Christina Henry has a Peter Pan reimagining, it's focus is on Hook's backstory, and why he hates Peter so much. It was quite interesting. Very dark. All her reimagings are very dark.

She also has two Alice books, and is coming out with Mermaid. :D

I just can't keep up with all the retellings/reimaginings that I want to read!
Ooh, that's awesome! :romance-inlove: I'm actually checking her out right now. Definitely think I'll add some of these to my to-read list. I think there's another Hook backstory novel floating around as well, though I can't remember the title at the moment.

I love Alice! Haven't read many retellings though. Unfortunately I didn't really care for the Splintered series. Henry's look interesting though!

And same. There are just so many. :D
SPasciuti

Post by SPasciuti »

gali wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 23:41

Of course! I'm about halfway through right now and I just have to say that the characters themselves are so well developed and interesting. I'm really impressed so far. But I'll definitely come back with a more thorough opinion once I've finished. :D
gali

Post by gali »

SPasciuti wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 15:29
gali wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 23:41

Of course! I'm about halfway through right now and I just have to say that the characters themselves are so well developed and interesting. I'm really impressed so far. But I'll definitely come back with a more thorough opinion once I've finished. :D
Great. I am glad you enjoy it so far. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
SPasciuti

Post by SPasciuti »

gali wrote:
Gravy wrote:
Ah, so this looks weird but I didn't know how else to tag you guys. :lol2:

Just wanted to drop by and let you both know that The Wendy was fantastic. The characters were super well developed and the plot itself was really impressive. I'd definitely recommend it. I wrote a review on my blog and I've included the link just in case you were interested, mainly cause I don't think I could possibly fit all my praise into a post on here. :P
Last edited by gali on 14 Jan 2018, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited out Blog
gali

Post by gali »

SPasciuti wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 00:34
gali wrote:
Gravy wrote:

Just wanted to drop by and let you both know that The Wendy was fantastic. The characters were super well developed and the plot itself was really impressive. I'd definitely recommend it. I wrote a review on my blog and I've included the link just in case you were interested, mainly cause I don't think I could possibly fit all my praise into a post on here. :P
Thank you. I am glad to hear it and will add it to my reading list. :)

I removed the link as linking to Blogs is against site rules. You can post your review here: What is the last book you read, and your rating? if you like. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

SPasciuti

Post by SPasciuti »

gali wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 00:48
gali wrote:

I removed the link as linking to Blogs is against site rules. You can post your review here: What is the last book you read, and your rating? if you like. :tiphat:
Oh! Okay, sorry about that! I'll definitely go ahead and do that. :)
null2018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by null2018 »

The next ACO book by Sarah J Maas.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

SPasciuti wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 01:05
gali wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 00:48

Oh! Okay, sorry about that! I'll definitely go ahead and do that. :)
I am really thinking I will read this. Not sure when, but I'm very interested, and Wendy sounds like my kind of character. :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”