Ever too old to read children/middle grade books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
luvnatalia555
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luvnatalia555.html

Ever too old to read children/middle grade books?

Post by luvnatalia555 »

Recently, I felt nostalgic and decided to pick up A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. The series was by far my favorite as a child, and introduced me to the passion of reading. I wasn't sure if I would still enjoy the series, but I still thought the books were phenomenal. The writing is fantastic, and still enjoyable after all these years. I was wondering if anyone has felt the same after rereading childhood favorites?
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

Honestly, I don't remember many of the books that I read during childhood. I read a lot (at least everyone around me seemed to think that I was reading more than normal), but 25-30 years later, I just don't remember much about them. On the other hand, now that I have children, I have rediscovered the joy of children's books. I have read a lot of books to my children and it is amazing how often a book that we have read will come up in conversation.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
booklovingolfer
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

I have not reread any of my childhood favorite books, but I am considering it. There were so many books I enjoyed as a child and wonder if I still would enjoy them. I also can't remember a lot of details of books so I may find that I have forgotten the ending also.
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I don't think you're ever too old to read any book. Last year my mom was cleaning out her attic and came across a book that I loved as a child. It was a beginner reader that I probably first read at age 5 or 6 called "Who cried for pie?" After she gave it to me I looked through it again and I still love the little story in this little book.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I dont think so. I found a copy a while back of one of my favorite childhood books, Masterman Ready by Captain Marryat. I read it and still found it enjoyable.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

It depends on the writing. A Series of Unfortunate Events has things that would make it enjoyable for just about any age, and Patricia Polacco's books are things I'd probably reread no matter how old I am. My sister and I are both in college, and we steal our brother's Magic Treehouse books whenever we can, though we try to wait until after he's finished them. Some books that aren't as well-written might not be so enjoyable, though.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Embracing_Madness
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-embracing-madness.html

Post by Embracing_Madness »

Nope, never too old! I love revisiting my old Roald Dahl stories and recapturing the magic I felt when I first read them.
yenner93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yenner93.html

Post by yenner93 »

I do it all the time! I re-read the books my son is studying at school so that they are fresh in my mind and I can help him with his homework!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I would love to go back and re-read some of the books I read in elementary school. I remember LOVING anything by Beverly Cleary and some series about a kid named Bingo Brown. I also remember a lot of little details about certain books, but I can't for the life of me remember the titles or the authors. I would like to read those again as well. I would probably like them just as much... I hope...
HeneryKnox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heneryknox.html

Post by HeneryKnox »

I enjoy reading the books I read in my youth it is always a nice trip down memory lane. It seems I always catch some theme or idea that I missed when I wasn't as well read. Now that my kids are starting to read I think it may be time to revisit some of the books that got me started so I can discuss them with the kids.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

HeneryKnox wrote:I enjoy reading the books I read in my youth it is always a nice trip down memory lane. It seems I always catch some theme or idea that I missed when I wasn't as well read. Now that my kids are starting to read I think it may be time to revisit some of the books that got me started so I can discuss them with the kids.
I know what you mean about catching some theme or idea that you missed the first time around. It's the same effect as watching an old movie or cartoon you watched as a kid and picking up on weird things you wouldn't have noticed as a child. Both good and bad...
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I don't think you can ever get too old to read children's books. They just take you back to your childhood, they are like a gateway to the past. I love rereading books I've read when I was a little kid. Although it can sometimes turn out to be disappointing and I end up confused about what I actually liked in that novel...
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
NotWritingForFlowers

Post by NotWritingForFlowers »

It all depends on the person. However, I think, personally, that each person has a favorite childhood book. I still have mine and once in a while I'll pick it up and read it! so no, I don't think you're ever too old to read a children's/teens book, especially for memories sake. Nothing like a good stroll down memory lane. :))
jguthri1
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jguthri1.html

Post by jguthri1 »

As a school librarian I have read many children's books several times. I only reread books when I am reading them aloud to different classes or from year to year. I do find that when I read them again I do notice and realize things I didn't during the first reading.
A fellow librarian recently sent me an article where the author condemned those that read children's and young adult books. It was quite ridiculous. A reader should be free to read what touches them or speaks to them without being criticized.
Right now I am trying to alternate between adult books and children's titles. I am trying to familiarize myself with newer fiction that I can use for lessons. Right now I am reading One Crazy Summer
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

jguthri1 wrote:A fellow librarian recently sent me an article where the author condemned those that read children's and young adult books. It was quite ridiculous. A reader should be free to read what touches them or speaks to them without being criticized.
First of all thank you for this point of veiw! :mrgreen: It seems to be in the minority of opinions. :P

Also about the author...that sucks. I don't know how many times I'll start reading an author, learn of an opinion that I find unutterably offensive, and it nearly ruins my enjoyment of their books.
I still read them...and I try not to judge, everyone has a right to their opinions, no matter how offensive, but it's never quite the same.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”