Ever too old to read children/middle grade books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: Ever too old to read children/middle grade books?

Post by Gravy »

I know what you mean :roll:
The title of the thread should be changed

It had a good run
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I think Ill start reading War And Peace and alternate it with The Wizard Of Oz. Best of both worlds. :lol:
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

NO! You are NEVER too old to read children's books! They are still great books, no matter what the grade level is!
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

For me, personally, I don't think that you can ever be too old to read children's or YA books. I've been re-reading my way through the Nancy Drew series that I was OBSESSED with as a girl, and while they do seem a little old fashioned now, I still get wrapped up in the stories and find them quite exciting! I also have re-read the Harry Potter series a number of times, and it never seems to get old.

To me, if the books are compelling and speak to you, what's the difference that they're children's books, YA books, or books "for adults?" I've found, sometimes, that the book that I loved as a child has a completely different meaning, or leaves a completely different impression on me as an adult. That's what is so special about books!
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
ylisa7
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

suzy1124 wrote:Absolutely!, why in the world would I want to take a step backwards?...( would I drag out my play pen, rattles, potty trainer ? ) :roll:
Sorry suzy I know this is off topic and we will have to agree to disagree. That sounds pretty condescending to me. Maybe that's not how you meant it.

OK..no more from me. Sorry girls:) Back on topic.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
cmp librarian
Favorite Author: Karren Hancock
Favorite Book: The Bible
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmp-librarian.html
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry

Post by cmp librarian »

As a children's librarian I firmly believe we are never too old to read children's books and find enjoyment and even insight or beauty in the world from a child character's perception. Some of my favorite books are children's books. And even as an adult while I enjoy some adult books I much prefer to read middle readers or even teen books.... there's just something a little more... maybe magical? about them.
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suzy1124 »

Bighuey wrote:I think Ill start reading War And Peace and alternate it with The Wizard Of Oz. Best of both worlds. :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Hilarious!,heeeehee

CORRECTION: "kiddie-Lit "
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
aSquared
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asquared.html

Post by aSquared »

I taught elementary school for years and absolutely loved reading aloud novels. They are so imaginative and delightfully silly at times. I loved reading them anything by Roald Dahl (of course) as well as The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews. I also like The Chronicles of Narnia and got sucked into Twilight along with everyone else when it was popular!
pageturnerreviews
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pageturnerreviews.html

Post by pageturnerreviews »

I still read children's books but I do find that it is not as enjoyable as having read them when I was younger. For example, I recently reread "The Fire Within" by Chris D'Lacey and although I found it to be a very fun and light read it just did not excite me as much as it did when I was 10 years old. That being said, I also find it interesting how other children's books still hold up today (if not even better now) such as Harry Potter or The Last Apprentice series.
tessdelac10381

Post by tessdelac10381 »

No one is ever too old to reminisce those classic children's books.I actually owe my love for reading from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and even the happily ever after stories of fairy tales. They started the spark in my imagination.From then on,my favorite part of the mall became the bookstore.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I don't get why this whole subject has to be a 'thing'
Opinions are many and varied
And everyone has a right to their own
I don't understand putting others down for their tastes...regardless of whether you agree or not
Nobody gets hurt if I go read Harry Potter
People do get hurt if I tell them they're stupid for not reading it
It's as simple as that

gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I read young adult books now and don't care whether others approve of it or not. I enjoy it and that's all that matters. :wink:

I love Harry Potter and it isn't just for kids. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote:I read young adult books now and don't care whether others approve of it or not. I enjoy it and that's all that matters. :wink:

I love Harry Potter and it isn't just for kids. 8)
So true :P

I love Fablehaven
A secret sanctuary for faeries and other magical/mythical beings?
What more could I ask for! 8)

3chicnP
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

No! Percy Jackson and Harry Potter are classified as middle grade books! I still read them (or I did) and I love them. You're never too old. I sometimes take out some Dr. Seuss books to read if I'm feeling down. It brings back good memories.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I love rereading childhood favorites! I'm only 18, which in retrospect isn't that much older, but it still feels a bit strange to walk into the children's section of my local library to go find a book I want to read. I'm rereading the Warriors book by Erin Hunter right now and just stopped into the library today to get one of the books. I had to ask for help because I wasn't sure where they were shelved. The librarians were all very nice about it though! I think everyone likes to reread old books they read when they were younger and relive the experience. You're never too old to read ANY book, regardless of the age group it was written for.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”