Ever too old to read children/middle grade books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Ever too old to read children/middle grade books?

Post by Dael Reader »

Of course not. What a silly question!
Kiisme
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =52409">12 Shades of Surrender</a>
Currently Reading: An Accidental Affair
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiisme.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kiisme »

Sometime I have to read through because some parents are pickie when it comes to what their kids read. I don't mind because at least when I ask what's the book about I'll know if they read it.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I think that books we read as a child made an impression on us for a reason, so it would make sense that we would enjoy reading them as an adult. I have read a lot of books geared towards younger audiences since I have been an adult and enjoyed them as well. My children and I will sometimes read them together, but I'll admit that I've read some of them on my own!
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

My mum kept some of my books from when I was younger and sometimes I like to browse through them and reread it. The pictures are also really fun to look at, and it's even more amusing if there are scribbles or doodles from when you were still a child.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

Childhood books are still awesome. Sometimes, i go through the piles books and just pick up one and read. It feels amazing to travel back to childhood.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I still read children's and middle grade books all the time and they are some of the best stories I've read, particularly middle grade fantasy (Cornelia Funke, Brandon Mull, Angie Sage are some authors that come to mind). I think when we start worrying about if what we're reading is sophisticated enough is the moment we start to lose the real joy of reading. As long as you are enjoying what you're reading, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or if it's adult, YA or middle grade!
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I don't think there is a problem with revisiting your childhood. The only reason I don't do it is because I often hate the writing style which is, obviously, geared towards children. It's too simplistic for me when I crave for something in-depth, detailed, and just overall deep on a level that can never be appreciated by children and, as such, is not often in children's books.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I've reread a lot of my childhood favourites - I don't think you're ever too old to enjoy any kind of book. Life is too serious sometimes and it's great to bring back some of that wonder that we all have when we're little!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Rennezoa_28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rennezoa_28 »

For me, you never get old in reading children or middle grade books. It is forever a classic. Some has a lot of moral lessons in it.
While reading it also it reminds you of your childhood, where you are when you read it or when it was. It will be a part of your memory.
AlphasFemale
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Gilded Wolves
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphasfemale.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by AlphasFemale »

Some of the books that I read for the first time as a child are still my absolute favorites and others when I tried to read them again just made me sad that they are not a good as I remember. I think it depends on the book itself. Inkheart was a book that is still awesome after so many years and I even have multiple copy of the series. On the other hand I tried to reread the Dragon-lance Chronicles that my middle school English teacher suggested to me and I struggled to finish the first one.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Dael Reader wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 18:08 Of course not. What a silly question!
I like your attitude!
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html

Post by _Delly_01 »

luvnatalia555 wrote: 22 Aug 2014, 10:45 Recently, I felt nostalgic and decided to pick up A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. The series was by far my favorite as a child, and introduced me to the passion of reading. I wasn't sure if I would still enjoy the series, but I still thought the books were phenomenal. The writing is fantastic, and still enjoyable after all these years. I was wondering if anyone has felt the same after rereading childhood favorites?
Same! I used to read as a kid, but then stopped. I vividly remember getting back into reading at fourteen because a friend loaned me the first book of A Series of Unfortunate Events, and I loved it. I stopped reading a year or so after that, but five years ago I started up again, and they were the first books I bought in hardcover box-set. They are witty, dark, and still have that same surreal vibe I fell in love with when I was younger.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html

Post by _Delly_01 »

No way! I've come across some terrific children's books. My favourite children's book is The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman. It is dark, surreal, and disturbing in a way that I can't quite put into words. The illustrations and text are brilliant.

Another book I've thoroughly enjoyed is Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds and Peter Brown. It is funny and very quirky.

But just because I enjoy children's and middle grade books, doesn't mean I jump at the chance to tell someone. I feel embarrassed and mentally unrefined when I do. Lol.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I find it depends on the writing style of the books. I've reread books from my childhood a few times, but ended up realizing plot holes or finding the writing overall bad. There are some books though that I will always reread, because they're still good no matter the age!
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

Sometimes, I'm unable to peel myself away from children books. At times, these books have one or two morals that can be useful to adults.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”