What book got you reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
yarryneil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by yarryneil »

I am currently reading Exposed World
Electronic Cigar

Post by Electronic Cigar »

Quianna wrote: When I was younger I was one of the kids trailing behind when it came to learning to read, but then once upon a time a book called Harry Potter was shoved into my hands and so began my reading career.
?
It was the same for my daughter. Harry Potter opened up thousands of imaginary worlds, not just the magical world of wizards. It also opened up a whole new genre of books to me. YA fiction has remarkable, imaginative aurhors.
corvalentdot

Post by corvalentdot »

Hi

Book Reading is really so good improve knowledge
Electronic Cigar

Post by Electronic Cigar »

In 2nd grade I was tested for my reading skills and I had basicly none. SO to improve it I had to go to a special program that taught children to read. At this school type place they gave me the Box Car Children and it was the first book that I read all the way through by myself. I still have the exact same book that I read then.
grammyva

Post by grammyva »

It wasn't a particular book that got me reading (that I recall) but a librarian from the public library that let me check out more books than allowed when I was in early grade school. My father was really into being educated so I imagine he pushed me as I was a very early reader.

Grammyva
www.bookclubdujour.com
Last edited by grammyva on 19 Apr 2009, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen

Post by Vixen »

i've always been a good reader but when my friend gave me one of the anita blakes to read i went nuts :mrgreen:

now i read almost everyday and for most of the day :wink:
hyukawa

Post by hyukawa »

probably roald dahl's various books. i didn't understand the sinister side, but found the gross stuff fun and funny. now read it with new eyes.

also remember enid blyton's famous five series. those were great adventures.
DreamWeaver121
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by DreamWeaver121 »

i started off with the classic where the wild things are and that just sparked my brain and yeah been reading diligently ever since
breakingthehabit

Post by breakingthehabit »

believe it or not,comic books started it for me
hyukawa

Post by hyukawa »

breakingthehabit wrote:believe it or not,comic books started it for me
can't complain about comic books. and they've really taken off in the sense that mainstream readers are regarding them in a serious light. look at the attention lauded on gaiman and moore, and all the movies made for comic books. it's kind of crazy now. i certainly remember thinking way back that comic books were special and they were too weird for most people to get into.
Vixen

Post by Vixen »

believe it or not,comic books started it for me
yeah. comic books are a good way to start. not only do you read but there are great pics.
breakingthehabit

yeah, i remember those days when i hid myself under the blanket, reading comics after the lights out with a torch until way past mid night, LOL.
Vixen

Post by Vixen »

I do that today with books. :wink:
hyukawa

Post by hyukawa »

breakingthehabit wrote:yeah, i remember those days when i hid myself under the blanket, reading comics after the lights out with a torch until way past mid night, LOL.
good times good times. i did that with spider man and dr. strange. wish i could recapture those moments - but not quite the same trying to do it with moore's watchmen or miller's dark knight!
breakingthehabit

Vixen wrote:I do that today with books. :wink:
do you still have curfews or something? :wink:

To Hyukawa: what makes spiderman and watchmen different?. this may sound a bit ignorant of me to ask, but i was growing up with japanese comics

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”