What book got you reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sevin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sevin »

I read a few books here and there throughout my childhood, then I came upon Watchers by Dean Koontz. Never before had I read a book that put my on the edge of my seat like that. I've been reading ever since.
Ascion

Post by Ascion »

A Series of Unfortunate Events was my first real foray into reading, and I've enjoyed it ever since.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

Embarrassingly enough the books for me was Harry Potter. My best friend read them constantly, and after several stubborn "i dont like to read" tantrums i finally caved and in secret read the first book, knowing i was going to hate it. Well needless to say, the next day without even having to say a word, she handed me the second one, laughing and i've been hooked since. Though they wasn't the first books i fell in love with, they were doubtlessly the first ones to open my eyes to the love of reading.
Daily Alice

Post by Daily Alice »

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss, probably when I was about 5 years old.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Oh God it's so so long ago ... but I do remember "The Man in the Iron Mask" & "Ivanhoe" as probably the first "real" books I read. They were actually my brother's books and I recall they were hardback and I fell in love not just with the stories but with the whole feel and smell of books. Since then books have remained the most lasting, most loyal and most satisfying "affair" of my life.
ReadingQueen

Post by ReadingQueen »

Mary Mouse Goes Up in a Balloon - Enid Blyton

I still have this book, i have read it so many times i could almost recite it, it has dogeared pages and no back plus the cover is absolutely wrecked but i still love it.

There is always some madness in love, but there is always some reason in madness.
kaipea

Post by kaipea »

The Magic Tree House by Mary Pope Osborne... :P
DaoJones
Favorite Author: All of them
Favorite Book: Every book I ever read
Currently Reading: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Post by DaoJones »

It wasn't one particular book that got me started. My mother read to me. Then when I could read she encouraged me to read books myself. I became a reader.

I did the same with my daughter. I remember the day she told me I didn't need to read her a bedtime story anymore. She wanted to read it herself. She became a reader.

That's how it works.
Brittany

Post by Brittany »

I've always loved books. The first books that i really remember reading were the R.L Stine Goosebump books. I also remember my Oma gave me Jakel and Hide for X-mas when i was abut 10.
Eric McClean

Post by Eric McClean »

I too started with Harry potter , it was fun reading it and it was just perfeat for me to read and finish in time.
MuchoLoco

Post by MuchoLoco »

For me it was The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I read this in junior high and haven't stopped reading since.
whiskeyguy

Post by whiskeyguy »

I was pretty young but the first books that got me addicted to reading were the Hardy Boy series. I was given a couple as a gift and ended up reading every single one. Around the same time I got into Goosebumps, then moved on to Stephen King around the age of 13.
goldah

Post by goldah »

well, i started with the sweet valley series and nancy drew books. :) and from then on, i started reading other books as well, reader's digest, etc.
imstilljoeypotter

Post by imstilljoeypotter »

I remember liking other books before this, but the first one I "attacked" on my own motivation was The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. I was in 7th grade and had just fallen in love with the movie Interview with the Vampire and I wanted to read another story like that one. Needless to say, it was above the reading level I was used to. I was determined to understand it. With the help of a good dictionary, I wound up loving that book and quickly devoured the rest of the works of Anne Rice over the next 3 years. I swear that I have her to thank for my excellent reading/vocab skills all through high school. I remember bringing Lestat with me to school to read during breaks and having my English teacher tell me, "You're way too young to be reading that. Does your mother know you have it?" I indignantly replied, "yes" and let her know that I was getting through it just fine TYVM. :) Oh, good times.
whiskeyguy

Post by whiskeyguy »

Anne Rice in 7th grade? I'm not sure your teacher was as concerned about the level of writing as she was the content. Personally I've never read her books but my friend's wife had me read a passage from a work and if it's all like that I may not be old enough to read it at 26 :-). I felt dirty.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”