What book got you reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Re: What book got you reading?

Post by dianaterrado »

I read Chamber of Secrets and never stopped reading since.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
bookworm2567
Currently Reading: Formatting Your Fantastic Book
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by bookworm2567 »

I only started getting into reading when I was about 15 or 16 and I owe it all to The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Zialex
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zialex »

When I decided to sit down to read a book of my choosing I went to the library and randomly checked out a bunch of books that I thought would be interesting.

One of them was a book called "Moonwalking with Einstein" by Joshua Foer, it was a book about memory, and memory techniques. Which is a subject I really enjoy. That's what set it off for me.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

My English teacher was the reason I started reading books. I had no book of my own in primary school. My teacher could force me into reading stories from our class book and that's how I got into reading. To date reading is a part and parcel of me.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Cardui
Currently Reading: Legal Guide for the Visual Artist
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Cardui »

I think my love for reading came from my mom reading to me as a child.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Charlotte's Web by EB White. Still one of my all-time favorites.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I've never hated books, but I didn't usually go out of my way to read them, either. I was more of a comics kid. There were a few books here and there I either stumbled upon or was assigned to by school that I enjoyed quite a bit: Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels (albeit a "kid-friendly" version), Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, etc. The one novel that really hooked me and made me more of a book reader, though, is Machado de Assis' The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas (or Epitaph of a Small Winner).
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

The first book I was given that I read by myself was the Phantom Stallion series when I was about 8 years old. Giving me a book about something I loved (horses) led me to gain interest in reading.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

The book that got me reading is "things fall apart "by Chinua Achebe.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

When I was younger, I was inspired by the Ranger's Apprentice series, and then later the Harry Potter series.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
jkmalik

Post by jkmalik »

Florence Nalianya wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 12:20 The book that got me reading is "things fall apart "by Chinua Achebe.
That's a great book. I read it in high school, and I remember not appreciating it as much as I should have. I want to read it again, now that I have a better grip on Achebe's genius.
jkmalik

Post by jkmalik »

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. That was the book. Sarah Dessen was it for me. She was my JK Rowling.

I was a volunteer in the Young People's Department at my local library for five years. One day, when I was, fifteen, I think, I was organizing the YA shelves and I saw that book. I pulled it out, I liked the cover (judge-y!), and I read the description, approving of its premise. I checked it out, read it, loved it, and read more Sarah Dessen. I eventually stopped reading Sarah Dessen as I realized her books all kind of followed the same theme. As my friend put it once, all her books kind of "blend together". Although, I do appreciate the cameos of her other characters in her various books.

It may seem like I was a late bloomer, but I did read before, just sporadically. I wasn't a Harry Potter person, and was so scolded for that. I read The Bell Jar and Of Mice and Men and Animal Farm and The Handmaid's Tale (sounds so lame, but I discovered The Handmaid's Tale before it was cool, ha ha, joking...it's been around since 1985, if I remember my Varsity Quiz question correctly). Then, it's funny, I ended up devouring Sarah Dessen and YA up until a few years ago.

But it was Dessen, as well as Megan McCafferty's Jessica Darling series (up until about the fourth book, never read the fifth one, tried to, but...nope), that really got me into reading.

YA gets a bad rap a lot of the time, and it's nice to know that there are really shining stars that stand out. Let's not forget Ned Vizzini, Libba Bray, Anna Godbersen.
E_Sethna

Post by E_Sethna »

When I was a child, I wasn't too fond of reading. That changed when my parents introduced me to Nancy Drew. I cannot remember the title of the first Nancy Drew book I got hooked on, though it was the first novel series that I enjoyed exploring. It also led me to discover other great mystery novels--and young adult books--as I browsed the school library.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Famous five series by Enid Blyton!
casdill
Currently Reading: Thank and Grow Rich
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by casdill »

As a kid I loved being read to but found it difficult to read. I was very slow and remember just dreading and hating my literature classes in middle school. We had to collect AR points for reading and I was always so far behind because I would choose the smallest, cheapest books to read because I could actually get through them.

Sometime around sixth grade a friend told me I should read Harry Potter (by this time the fourth book had come out and it disgusted me how big it was), and I thought she was truly, absolutely, entirely insane. She kept bugging me about it though and I finally checked out the first book and humored her by reading the first chapter that night. Well, a little while later I was the furthest into a book I'd ever been in my life and I'll never forget that moment. I still remember that girl's name and what she looked like because of that, though I don't remember ever speaking to her beyond those brief periods in middle school.

So like for most kids, I guess the actual love of reading started with Harry Potter. I did really like books, but I hated the process of trying to struggle through them for school. My first favorite book was a giant red Mother Goose book filled with illustrations and nursery rhymes that I attribute to creating me as I am today.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”