Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » General Book & Reading Discussion

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Ever been recommended a popular book and hated it?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Re: Ever been recommended a popular book and hated it?

Post Number:#91 by Rizbi
» 12 Aug 2015, 12:25

Yep, all the time. The most recent is the Divergent Series. Friends assume that I will like it, since I like Hunger Games. Unfortunately, I hated it.
Rizbi

Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 65 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#92 by breeeeeanna
» 28 Nov 2015, 17:59

hvergaetira wrote:I didn't like Divergent very much. Interesting premise, but I felt the characters were flat. Just my opinion. I did enjoy The Hunger Games, though.

This is interesting because I was about to post the exact opposite opinion when I saw this reply. I rather enjoyed the Divergent series, but could not find the draw in the Hunger Games series. I didn't like the idea of games, I didn't like the characters- I found it all to be rather annoying. I got through the first two books and couldn't bring myself to pick up the third book. With Divergent though, I could not put the books down. So it's interesting to see that varied opinion.
breeeeeanna

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#93 by zumanajim
» 28 Nov 2015, 20:21

all the time my best friend is obssesd with mushy romance books and i tried one and it was to ............................ unrealistic and too mushy for me!!!!!!!!!!!!
zumanajim

Currently Reading: Allies of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 72 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 6 Tablet

Post Number:#94 by CrescentMoon
» 02 Dec 2015, 01:15

Absolutely. The Twilight series. I first read them in high school when it was first starting to get popular and all my girl friends were so hung up on Edward and the story in general. I just didn't get it, everything was so cliche and boring to me. And then the movies came out and people would just not stop talking about it. It never made sense to me.
CrescentMoon

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#95 by B3cca 3ll3r
» 02 Dec 2015, 01:24

Yes! Eat, Pray, Love, does everybody remember when that was the most popular book ever? All the ladies I knew were reading that and telling me I had to too. I am not sure what it was in that book that made so many women loose their minds and have life changing thoughts but I didn't get it even a little. The Scarlet Letter. It just wasn't my flavor. Anna Karennina, I don't know why but by the end of the book I hated every character and couldn't even look at the book for years.
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
B3cca 3ll3r

Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#96 by Spontaneo
» 08 Sep 2017, 10:15

Definitely yes... Battlefield of the Mind, by Joyce Meyer.
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
Spontaneo

Currently Reading: Hello, My Love
Bookshelf Size: 5 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#97 by IanYanny
» 19 Sep 2017, 05:58

CrescentMoon wrote:Absolutely. The Twilight series. I first read them in high school when it was first starting to get popular and all my girl friends were so hung up on Edward and the story in general. I just didn't get it, everything was so cliche and boring to me. And then the movies came out and people would just not stop talking about it. It never made sense to me.

YES! I am not alone. I read the whole series and like you, I also found it cliche and boring. Sadly, my boyfriend is a fan. So. There is that.
IanYanny's Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
IanYanny

Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 89 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 280%

Previous