Ever been recommended a popular book and hated it?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jonesh91
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesh91.html

Re: Ever been recommended a popular book and hated it?

Post by jonesh91 »

I was recommended "The Fault in Our Stars" and "Looking for Alaska" by at least 25 people. I was very excited to read them and I was just so underwhelmed by them both. The characters felt forced to me, and everything just fell flat. While I respect John Green as a person, I'm just not fan of him as an author.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

jonesh91 wrote:I was recommended "The Fault in Our Stars" and "Looking for Alaska" by at least 25 people. I was very excited to read them and I was just so underwhelmed by them both. The characters felt forced to me, and everything just fell flat. While I respect John Green as a person, I'm just not fan of him as an author.
I just came here to say this, LOL.
I didn't read "Looking for Alaska" but I read The Fault in Our Stars and yes, the right word to describe it is underwhelming. Exactly for the same reasons.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

The Book Thief was a book everyone told me to read and I broke my rule of stopping halfway through if i dont like a book. Basically I wanted everyone to die....
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
queenofjacks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenofjacks.html

Post by queenofjacks »

I actually had to force myself to read The Hunger Games and didn't get into until half-way through! Now, I love the series.
zoedecicco
Favorite Book: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoedecicco.html
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide

Post by zoedecicco »

This happens all the time!

My tastes are fairly different from a lot of people I know.

Has happened most recently with The Alchemist. Yawn!
"80% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

"There are no small parts, only small actors." - Constantin Stanislavski
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide
10-cat-mom
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10-cat-mom.html

Post by 10-cat-mom »

I couldn't get through the Hunger Games series. I made it halfway through the 2nd book before abandoning them. Mind you I had just read the Fifty Shades of Grey and Twilight series ... maybe that had something to do with it! Movies were pretty good though!
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

Oh yeah. Atlas Shrugged is an example.
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

My friends all recommended that I should read ¨Fifty Shades of Grey¨. After forcing myself to read that book, in hopes that it might get a bit less...weird...I realized that everyone has different tastes in which books they think are good and which are bad, just like different tastes of chips. Some like barbeque and others prefer lemon! (ew)
Dizzymimi

Post by Dizzymimi »

So many people recommended Eat Pray Love to me, so I finally broke down and bought it shortly after the movie came out. I was so disappointed! I know the whole traveling thing and finding herself was supposed to be exciting, but I thought the whole book was boring. It took me forever to finish because I just could not get into it. I kept thinking it would get better, but it never did. :(
spablo_94
Currently Reading: Redeployment
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spablo-94.html

Post by spablo_94 »

midgetgem wrote:When I was recommended 'The Fault in our Stars' I had great expectations for it as I'd not heard a single negative review about it. However, I failed to see the 'craze' about it! I thought it was a really nice book and I did enjoy it, but I didn't feel that I couldn't put it down and I was blown away by it. Does anybody else feel this way about it? (please don't hate more for saying this!)
Yes, I felt the same when I read this book. It was popular so I decided to read it, but I just don't feel like you said,"blown away by it". But reading this book helped me discover other John Green books, like Looking for Alaska which is a great one.
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Sarah Clay »

This happens to me a ton. The only example I can think of right now is The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I didn't hate it, really, I just thought it was over-hyped.
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
Mariar3
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariar3.html

Post by Mariar3 »

The Twilight Series. I can't even tell you how many friends and family members recommended it to me. I remember picking it up at the bookstore a few times but never actually purchasing it but it came so highly recommended that I decided to borrow them from my friend. Big mistake. This was before the whole Twilight craze that happened with the movies and I think I started hating them even more after that.
ShanghaiBreezes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanghaibreezes.html

Post by ShanghaiBreezes »

yes. the twilight series.
savilewis
Currently Reading: The Kill Order
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savilewis.html
Latest Review: "Thunderstorm" by Sophie McNeill

Post by savilewis »

50 Shades of Gray. I've learned to be cautious of really hyped up books and I read a few blurbs from that book and I couldn't believe people found that erotic. I was grossed out and the whole plot line screams millionaire stalker found a gullible pushover. I like my characters to have some back bone.
Latest Review: "Thunderstorm" by Sophie McNeill
SelyViladinia

Post by SelyViladinia »

Yes...
They are Looking For Alaska by. John Green and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Surprising?
I am a fan of John Green, he's like my number one favorite male author, so I always looking forward for his works excitedly. I read The Fault in Our Stars and I was crying, the book wounded me and leave deep impressions to me, then I moved on and read Looking For Alaska for the next, and everything never be the same again. I was just disappointed, not really hate it. It's not like the book is bad but somehow it's not really that good.
And for Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, I am a Goodreads member and everytime I want to read book I will consult to that site and I found that Fangirl was and is pretty popular, and the book has so many good reviews and good rating (almost 5 stars! that time), but then I read the book with a super huge expectation and I was disappointed, just disappointed because the book doesn't wound me nor leave deep impression, it was just like "That's it?".

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”