Ever been recommended a popular book and hated it?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Salma Siddiqui
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-siddiqui.html

Re: Ever been recommended a popular book and hated it?

Post by Salma Siddiqui »

Yes! I recently read Tailor, Tinker, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré and was not only bewildered but felt that I had not reached the climax of a story. It was extremely difficult to read. I watched the movie to see if it made anymore sense to me but I was left just as confused about the story. I've never been one for mystery-type novels but that was a sore disappointment.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I've recently come across several books that were rated very high (like, 4.8 stars or higher) on both Amazon and Goodreads and had excellent reviews, and then the books turned out to be terrible. Like, not even edited or anything. It makes me wonder how much I can really trust the reviews and ratings that people leave.
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

Yes, I read the Twilight series because a friend recommended it and regretted it very much.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

Yes, Life of Pi tried it on friends recommendation and never made it out of the zoo.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
MF1983
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mf1983.html

Post by MF1983 »

Most will probably disagree with me, but I was not overly inpressed with Gone Girl. And furthermore, I really don't see how they can turn it into a movie.
Melsabelle

Post by Melsabelle »

I attempted 50 shades... Nope
I attempted twilight... Nope

And I always try to finish books, no matter how terrible they are! Nope...
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

han87 wrote:Yes, Life of Pi tried it on friends recommendation and never made it out of the zoo.
Ha! Funny.

My friends and I don't share the same interest in books, so I wouldn't normally rush to read a book based on their recommendation, even if the book is a bestseller. I always try to read a few pages of the book before I commit to it, just to make sure it's going to be 'my type' of book.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
Mollancholy

Post by Mollancholy »

This happens to me aaaalllll the time (Fifty Shades was definitely one I wish I hadn't read, but I'll refrain from naming anymore, as I really don't want to offend anyone now that I've just found this place!). I've taken to filing friends away into two categories: People I Trust to Recommend Books I'll Actually Like... and Everybody Else. :P
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

cyndiha11 wrote:
han87 wrote:Yes, Life of Pi tried it on friends recommendation and never made it out of the zoo.
Ha! Funny.

My friends and I don't share the same interest in books, so I wouldn't normally rush to read a book based on their recommendation, even if the book is a bestseller. I always try to read a few pages of the book before I commit to it, just to make sure it's going to be 'my type' of book.
Smart idea. I've adopted that strategy as well since the zoo incident. 8)
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
hephaestion
Favorite Author: Virginia Woolf
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: Giovannis Room
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephaestion.html
fav_author_id: 2470

Post by hephaestion »

The City of Bones series was recommended to me and I could barely get through half the book, it was so terribly written and predictable.
mangofree

Post by mangofree »

I find myself liking older books much more than newer ones, so I usually wait until somebody recommends me a popular book before I go and pick it up myself. But there have been many, many times where I read a popular book and didn't like it. They tend to be mostly young adult books for me.
ribbons and roses
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ribbons-and-roses.html

Post by ribbons and roses »

THe Giver. Normally I like utopias and dystopias but somehow I thought The Giver somewhat boring and the ending not creative.
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

Twilight. Ugh. Sorry to its fans.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

My sister just tried to get me to read the Shades of Gray books... I did my best Grumpy Cat impression.

No.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

midgetgem wrote:When I was recommended 'The Fault in our Stars' I had great expectations for it as I'd not heard a single negative review about it. However, I failed to see the 'craze' about it! I thought it was a really nice book and I did enjoy it, but I didn't feel that I couldn't put it down and I was blown away by it. Does anybody else feel this way about it? (please don't hate more for saying this!)
I totally agree.Fault in Our Stars was a bore with no emotion and I was not sad to finish the book and let it go.Another one that I really disliked is Hunger Games which is so popular out there.I honestly don't see anything that appeals in the books.They are without life and I couldn't go into them.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”