Ever been recommended a popular book and hated it?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Teen-Librarian12
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teen-librarian12.html

Re: Ever been recommended a popular book and hated it?

Post by Teen-Librarian12 »

e_bark46 wrote:One of my good friends is a librarian, so naturally when I need something new to read I ask for her opinion on what is popular/circulating well in the library to find a new book. Honestly, I'm still confused over how MANY of these were even published, much less gained popularity.
I work in a library, and I wonder the same thing myself sometimes!
Heatha4357

Post by Heatha4357 »

I working with a very diverse group of people. Many of the guys (of varying ages) were raving about a this series of survivalist books that came out. They loved everything about the book and talked constantly about how it would blow my mind away to read this book. So, at the very least I was intrigued. One of my closer friends gave me several warnings that the concepts and some of the imagery may be too much for me. That was when I took the plunge. I read the first in the series and was immediately disappointed with the writing. So many good stories out there, this one told by a bad writer. But I can't stand quitting a good story. So, I moved forward deeper into the book and found that it was unnecessarily graphic. Much like movies today - I like my imagination. I wish more writers would let me use it. Suffice it to say I could not finish this book. I lost interest and really didn't care much what happened to anyone. Although the story line really could be excellent. The title was "As Wind in Dry Grass" by H, Grant Llewellyn.
Calimarie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calimarie.html

Post by Calimarie »

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I voluntarily tried several times to read this in high school. I just could NOT get into it! I even tried it one more time years later to see if maybe my perspective or interests had changed. Nope still couldn't do it!
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I don't mean to sound rude, but I get really angry when all these girls go *GASP* "you HAVEN'T read twilight?!?!" or 50 shades of grey. I know a lot of people like these books, but I personally don't. Someone recommended me to read some paranormal romance about werewolves... ew. I don't exactly mind a story about a vampire every once in awhile but I do find these books icky.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
jennamedinger

Post by jennamedinger »

Oh my gosh! I felt the same way about the 50 Shades of Grey series!! Everyone was talking about it so I bought ALL of them on my Nook and hated it! I love romance novels but this just made me feel violated. I never finished the first one.
Courtney369

Post by Courtney369 »

Oh yes!!! I was recommended Immortal series by Alyson Noel and I hated it!! Ughh...

-- 20 Aug 2014, 22:05 --
jennamedinger wrote:Oh my gosh! I felt the same way about the 50 Shades of Grey series!! Everyone was talking about it so I bought ALL of them on my Nook and hated it! I love romance novels but this just made me feel violated. I never finished the first one.
OH YES!! Ughh!! I can't stand that series either!!
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

I was recommended the Twilight series and could barely get through the first book. I guess I am not a fan of vampires and really felt the book was a bit of a bore.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Story of my life! Every single time I pick up a "best-seller" and try to read it, I want to punch myself in the face. I can never understand why/how most of these books got to be best-sellers.
Now I tend to stick with indie authors who self-publish on Amazon, just so I can find the good ones on my own, without relying on the opinions of the masses...
scorp0111
Favorite Author: Khaled Hosseini
Favorite Book: To Sir With Love by E R Braithwaite
Currently Reading: Kill List by Fredrick Forsyth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorp0111.html
fav_author_id: 2454

Post by scorp0111 »

Has happened many times ...most recently, The Timekeeper by Mitch Albom....I found the book a complete bore :( Tried hard to like it as it was on the best seller's list and highly recommended but just could not.
Jasmine_Mannan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-mannan.html

Post by Jasmine_Mannan »

the perks of being a wall flower by Stephen Chbosky. I don't know why, but it just doesn't interest me what so ever, everyone says its a really good book, but it seems quite boring there isn't any action or a proper story line to keep the book going.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Jasmine_Mannan wrote:the perks of being a wall flower by Stephen Chbosky. I don't know why, but it just doesn't interest me what so ever, everyone says its a really good book, but it seems quite boring there isn't any action or a proper story line to keep the book going.
I didn't read the book, but I saw the movie (hey, just something to do on a long plane ride!) and thought the exact same thing about the story line!
luvnatalia555
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luvnatalia555.html

Post by luvnatalia555 »

This happens too often! Maybe I wouldn't necessarily HATE the book if it weren't so popular, but the hype surrounding many books causes me to create high expectations, which usually aren't surpassed.
ElectricSheep

Post by ElectricSheep »

I used to only read horror and a lot of Stephen King but my mother recommended Flowers in the attic to me and it is a fantastic read and widened my taste for different stories.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

White Album, Joan Didion, a much over-rated writer IMHO...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
annabel42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabel42.html

Post by annabel42 »

I couldn’t wait to read “50 Shades of Grey” – for me, it was a real letdown - a love story between a rather naive girl and a goodlooking but messed up guy - I read the first naughty bit then skipped the rest. – it was such a boring read - what was all the fuss about? - - - I had the other parts of the series but never read them.

These days I dive right in - - if it catches my interest, I keep reading - whatever the subject- - - - I’ve had some very happy, unexpected surpises.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”