Library or owning?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Supcoolfofa01
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supcoolfofa01.html
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
fav_author_id: 2909

Re: Library or owning?

Post by Supcoolfofa01 »

I prefer the library because I like to read a lot of books, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have room for every single book I've read. I also like the library because it doesn't cost anything and I just enjoy being at the library surrounded by books because its just so peaceful.
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
GreenBookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenbookworm.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by GreenBookworm »

Both because sometimes a library can be more comfortable if I am not sure if I will like the book. Like this later I can still buy it, if it was good.
YoungersX2
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngersx2.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by YoungersX2 »

I prefer to own. That way whenever I want to reread a book I have it.
srunyon16
Currently Reading: 100 Sideways Miles
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srunyon16.html

Post by srunyon16 »

Definitely own, although it wasn't long ago that I preferred the opposite. I need to see the stories on my shelves. And I need to know that I can reread them any time I want because they are just right there, within reach.
ChristanWebb
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christanwebb.html

Post by ChristanWebb »

I would love to own every book I have ever enjoyed, but the reality is, that would be very expensive. It would also take up quite a bit of space. I enjoy the library because I can check out anything or have it ordered for me. I read quick so I don't have to worry about the time limits. I do enjoy shopping at thrift shops and resale shops for used books. If I can find a box of books for 10 cents a piece, I will buy them all just because its a great deal. If I don't like them and they are still in good shape, I just donate them to the local library.
rosemarieshort
Currently Reading: Vanity Fair
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemarieshort.html

Post by rosemarieshort »

Like most people I prefer owning. But it can be a costly business! So if I want something I am pretty sure I will only read once, or something pricey, I will usually hit up my local library. Alternately I'll check on the Kindle store to see if it's going cheap on there (I am rarely this lucky!).
cherry_girl
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by cherry_girl »

I'm buy nearly all my books or get them on my kindle, I always forget that the library is an option because the closest one to me is only small and not worth the time. I also like having my bookshelves full of books because it brings back memories every time I look at it :3
Jonesthescribe86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesthescribe86.html

Post by Jonesthescribe86 »

Owning. As a kid, I didn't mind having a library card but as am adult with emplotment, I'd rather buy and see them on my book shelf
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I love going to libraries, however, I find that when i check out books, I often don't read them because of the deadlines!
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Charley
Currently Reading: The Spinster and The Earl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charley.html

Post by Charley »

I used to be an owner but now I'm for the library. I came to the point that I was lining the walls of every room with books, but most the time I was only reading the book once. Basically, I was spending money on the books so they could collect dust. So, I decided to sell all but the books I planned to read again. Now, I have more storage space, more money, and I just go to the library or iBooks (gasp) for my books.
Parvin_Sultana
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parvin-sultana.html

Post by Parvin_Sultana »

owning. i prefer to have my own copy. but these days space is a big constraint as i am yet to shift to ebooks and i still prefer hard copies.
Parvin_Sultana
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parvin-sultana.html

Post by Parvin_Sultana »

owning. i prefer to have my own copy. but these days space is a big constraint as i am yet to shift to ebooks and i still prefer hard copies.
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

I prefer to borrow unless it is something ill read many, many times. Only because we will go broke if I buy every book I read, I read at least 4 a month.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. ~ Sarah Williams
Ursula_Minor
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ursula-minor.html
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken

Post by Ursula_Minor »

I buy a lot of books, but I also go to my public library regularly. I guess I make a point of going because I am a huge supporter of libraries, and want to do my part to make sure that they retain their funding so they can continue to operate. But it is hard, sometimes, to wait for a book to come in at my branch when I coud just order it on AMazon and have it in days.
callsign: unknown
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken
Crossroad Readers
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossroad-readers.html
Latest Review: "Love for One" by Stacey Haga

Post by Crossroad Readers »

I like owning my books. Sometimes I like to reread books I've already read and I like to have them on hand whenever I want it. It would probably be more practical and would save a lot of money by going to the library but I just can't do it.
Latest Review: "Love for One" by Stacey Haga

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”