Library or owning?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jenz007
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Library or owning?

Post by jenz007 »

I like to own my books this way I can go back and re-read them or pass them on to someone.
ubbah12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubbah12.html

Post by ubbah12 »

I love going to my library and getting out a dozen books at a time. There is no cost commitment (unless you're like me and have tons of late fees), they have what you want, and they always have new books. I usually buy books that I absolutely loved that I loaned from the library.
agreenwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agreenwood.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by agreenwood »

Own! I don't like having to worry about returning them within a certain time frame, or feeling like I have a deadline on when I need to read it. I do have a library card, but I have only been to the library minimal times in the past few years.
emritter

Post by emritter »

I love the library. If I owned every single book I read, I would have no room in my home for anything else... Possibly even me!
victoria48

Post by victoria48 »

I definitely own all my books.
I can't part with them once they are brought home,lol
Haley19

Post by Haley19 »

I used to only use my local library to read books, because I am so cheap. One day recently it was rainy, so I went to my closet to read one of my older books that I thought I owned, but it turns out I did not. I was disappointed, so since then I have been buying books, and proudly building up my personal library.
PeggyCarter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peggycarter.html

Post by PeggyCarter »

I grew up as a homeschooler, so I am no stranger to the Library. We all would pile into the minivan and journey to the Library at least twice a week. However, now there is just something so much more appealing to me about owning my books. It almost sounds selfish to say, but I like to watch my library grow, and keeping them for myself, like they were written just for me.. I'll always remember how happy I was when I ran out of room on my first bookshelf. It's just a great feeling to me, I suppose.
Cora Oquinn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cora-oquinn.html

Post by Cora Oquinn »

I would have to say owning and I have always dreamt of a home library so I could own all the books I want. I don't want to be limited to how long I can read the book and often will read it twice in a row.
dunappy
Favorite Author: N.R. Walker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Soaring Hearts</a>
Currently Reading: Dreams of the Forgotten (Sumeria's Sons, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 4294
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 35683

Post by dunappy »

Own. I like to re-read to many times and I live more than 30 miles from any library so it's hard to go and change books all the time.
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

prefer to own
Linda2017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda2017.html

Post by Linda2017 »

I prefer to own books as I like to go back and reread them often. But I also enjoy going to the library as well....left over I guess from by childhood when I used to spend hours in the library after school...
Heather Fawn
Currently Reading: A House Divided
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-fawn.html

Post by Heather Fawn »

I love to own all my books. I have recently been trying to go to more local book signings and I always end up buying a lot of books by that author to get them all signed. If the author has a multi book series out I end up buying all the books in the series. Books for me begin to stack up quickly which can be a problem. I move about every 6 months, and half of my moving time (and weight) is spent moving my books. I have found the easiest way to transport books when moving is suitcases! I tend to not be able to move my book shelves because the sizes therefore I have found the best bookshelves you can get are free or upcycled book shelves, such as, wooden boards or shelving from goodwill. It would be much easier to have all my books on my devices, but I love to have my physical library even if it means I have to spend extra time moving it.
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

I personally like the library better. I can save tonnes of money and space by borrowing a book. In case I like a borrowed book quite a lot, I go ahead and search for it in a bookstore, so that I can keep it close and reread it.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

As much as I like walking through libraries, I have always been one to own books rather then check out a book. I like being able to go back to my books when I want and not having to worry about checking them out.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
LorriePaige1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorriepaige1.html

Post by LorriePaige1 »

It depends on the book. I prefer the library when it comes to fiction books. If I love a good reference book, I'll own it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”