Library or owning?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
raquelt24
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquelt24.html

Re: Library or owning?

Post by raquelt24 »

Owning is easier because you dont have to worry if the library is going to have the book you want on the shelf or put your name on a waiting list for a book.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

Library for me, I have too many books that there is literally no where to put them. I own seven shelves... I was bad at returning books to the library but thanks to my kindle I can go to my librarys site and borrow an ebook, when time is up they just take it out of your device no hassle at all. I think my kindle has solved my storage space issue, but I like how I can get library books (amazon kindle library is terrible, go to local's site with your card) online without having to go somewhere.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
DarkTrick
Favorite Author: Maria V. Snyder
Favorite Book: I am The Great Horse
Currently Reading: Allies and Assassins
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darktrick.html

Post by DarkTrick »

I always manage to develop a personal relationship with every book I own, so buying goes all the way for me. While I love perusing libraries and soaking in their wonderful 'booky' environment, if I'm going to read a book I have to own it first.
bubblefairy

Post by bubblefairy »

i love to own my books. I do use the libary but much prefer to bye them and keep them. I'm also a actual book person rather than a kindle one, i love the feel of a book in my hands and seeing them lined up on a book shelve. maybe i'm old fashioned :D im teaching my kids from a young age the importance of reading!
dheyd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dheyd.html

Post by dheyd »

Owning. I tend to read most of my books a second time, especially when the next book in a series comes out much later or I'm in the mood to revisit certain characters. Plus, I really like the idea of having a library in my future home.
SophiaJones

Post by SophiaJones »

I like to do a mixture of both and if I ever find myself stuck in a 'book rut' then there is no better place to go to get advice about a new book to try than the library.
scheatwood

Post by scheatwood »

I'm a big fan of owning books. The only time i really go to the library is when money is low or there is a book I dont mind not owning.

-Sheri <3
sammisinmeiho

Post by sammisinmeiho »

i'd love to own all my books but when there's a book that im unsure about, then i'd go to the library for it. if i love it, then i'll get my own copy
also, going to the library satisfies the book-shopping urges. the ability to pick up book by book without worrying about prices is just like heaven. (:
rebalovelace

Post by rebalovelace »

I go to the library to get books that I otherwise can't find and have a hankering to read. I'll also go if I'm not too worried about giving it back. However, I'm prone to owning the book because there is a satisfaction in owing the book that you love. It's comforting to know that your good friend is there on the shelf, ahaha!

If it is a series, however, I'll buy the first book if I liked it and then I'll go to the library and get the rest of it.
mrsladyn64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsladyn64.html

Post by mrsladyn64 »

I agree with sammisinmeiho....there is nothing like "shopping" in the library for a book you want.
FaraAkhmedova

Post by FaraAkhmedova »

To me it's actually both but there are its own pros and cons in both owning and library books. I looooove spending time in a library where there is its certain energy and after I leave the library with a bad full of books I feel like I need to read them all ASAP, also what I love about taking books from a library is that there is a deadline to when you should return your book, so you're always at a certain pace to read and finish the books as quickly as possible. When it comes to owning, of course one of the pros is that you know the book is yours and you cant start it and read it as many times as you want to, but there come certain cons to it, unfortunately. For example, books can be pretty expensive, especially when it comes to popular ones. Also, in my case I move a lot from place to place, so that means I can't carry around all of the books that I own, so I just have to throw them away every single time, which just sucks. But either way, I love both owning books and taking them from a library.
Yangu_38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yangu-38.html

Post by Yangu_38 »

There's nothing like buying a brand new hardback book
tristinrose
Currently Reading: When You Were Here
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristinrose.html

Post by tristinrose »

Recently, I have preferred the library. Don't get me wrong I have a HUGE collection of owned books. I love all of the books I own, but all of the books I own get read then put back on a shelf or in a box, just sitting around my house. I mean I would certainly lend them to friends (and I already do), but with the library, the book can be put back on a shelf for anyone. I could recommend a friend to go to the library for a certain book. It is also free (if you return it), so that is a plus.
chrystal_vaughan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-vaughan.html

Post by chrystal_vaughan »

I would have totally said owning before I received a free subscription to Scribd. I am somewhat of a book hoarder, so having a Kindle or Nook did me NO GOOD AT ALL because if I found I loved a book, I'd have to go buy a hard copy, thus paying for the book twice. But now that I have the Scribd option, I can read as many books as I want for nothing, and if I love the book, I can buy it in hard copy and only pay for it once. So I have to say, in regards to the topic library or owning, that I choose both.
Elizabeth Rogers 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-rogers-47.html

Post by Elizabeth Rogers 47 »

I own quite a few books, but because I have an efficiency apartment, I must weed out ones that I will not read again. I get overstocked about once a year, after a library book sale or too many yard sale purchases. I could not afford to purchase all the books I read. Besides, I enjoy the social aspect of visiting the library. I can browse without worrying that I might spend the rent money.

Any book that I feel an urge to write in or highlight paragraphs to refer to later, I must purchase for obvious reasons.

-- 15 Aug 2014, 13:56 --

I own quite a few books, but because I have an efficiency apartment, I must weed out ones that I will not read again. I get overstocked about once a year, after a library book sale or too many yard sale purchases. I could not afford to purchase all the books I read. Besides, I enjoy the social aspect of visiting the library. I can browse without worrying that I might spend the rent money.

Any book that I feel an urge to write in or highlight paragraphs to refer to later, I must purchase for obvious reasons.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”