Have you ever wanted to read but couldnt?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
cruiz1992
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cruiz1992.html

Have you ever wanted to read but couldnt?

Post by cruiz1992 »

For some reason. I have the urge to read a book, but I can't seem to focus on the words! I go from book to book in my Nook to no avail! What do this mean? To give my eyes a break?

What do you guys think?
Vimtuous
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vimtuous.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Vimtuous »

Whenever that happens to me I find it's usually because there is something that I need to do that I'm putting off or I just need to get up and move around to get the blood flowing. A walk or doing a quick chore usually helps me relax enough to read.

It also happens when I'm not super interested in the story I'm reading. Reading something else or taking a break helps.

Other times I just have to give up and accept that reading isn't going to happen then and move on to something else.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Hannaa_Campbell
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannaa-campbell.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Hannaa_Campbell »

Yes! This happens to me all the time!

For me, I usually take a half hour nap and that usually fixes it. Or I'll listen to music.

Hope this helps as I really, reaaally know how annoying this can be ;)
"Pain demands to be felt" - John Green
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

I don't know, but I like the phrase "book to book in my Nook." Sounds like Dr. Seuss!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

When that happens to me, I try to set myself a task to overcome by challenging myself to read a whole chapter without stopping. When I do this I usually am fine after and the book starts making sense to me.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

It could be the screen in the nook is causing your eyes to have trouble focusing reading.
Out of curiosity, have you had this problem while reading physical copies? (If so, about as frequent even?)
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

It definitely could be your eyes! Sometimes my eyes start to hurt and I have to take a break :( Or maybe your mind just needs aa little time to process what you just read or whatever else is going on before it can focus on reading again.
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

set it down - don't force yourself no one enjoys anything they feel forced to do - but if you love reading there is probably something distracting or weighing on you that needs to be addressed before trying again
thenameisZelda
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thenameiszelda.html
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik

Post by thenameisZelda »

I agree. You shouldn't force yourself to read. Sometimes I'm in the mood to read, but my brain isn't all there. Give it time. You'll be able to figure out what's holding you up. Go from there.
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik
clara7733
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clara7733.html

Post by clara7733 »

Yes. This has happened to me.Usually it means I am very tired but after I get the rest I need I'm fine.
aca

Post by aca »

I'm having a similar problem at the moment - I'm not reading much because I'm writing so much more. I find that I want to direct my free time to writing rather than reading. And when I do read, I feel guilty that I'm not writing. It sucks because I used to read a lot more.

I think talking a walk or trying something different might be good advice?
sweetmyself

Post by sweetmyself »

a 20 minute workout usually fixes my problem, If I can't focus i'm usually overexited, stressed or just have to much energy. If this does not work I love a hot bubble bath with a glass of red wine and a book :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It happened to me sometimes when I am too stressed our and can't concentrate. As was suggested a walk or a rest will help you out.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

The House of Mirth.
Edith Wharton, I am really sorry. But there are so many words I don't know and it just makes me tired when she gaves lots of details.
I will read you woman! Some day. Soon.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

For me it's usually because I can't "get into" whatever it is I am trying to read. Maybe you need something else for a while.
There is another possibility. Maybe like me, you want to read because you like reading, but your body doesn't need reading right now. As an introvert, I love spending time alone with a book to "recharge," but if my batteries are already charged, it doesn't do any good to keep them plugged in. (Is this analogy making any sense?)
I would probably do something physical, like going to the gym or taking a walk (someone else mentioned this, I think). Or maybe even sitting down with a friend to drain off some of the energy I've stored up. And I think giving your eyes a rest won't do any harm.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”