Have you ever wanted to read but couldnt?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Re: Have you ever wanted to read but couldnt?

Post by RebekaV »

It happens to me a lot after I just finished a really good book and I can't make myself get into another one. Or when I'm worried about something I can't concentrate on the book at all.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
mrsallen7114
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsallen7114.html

Post by mrsallen7114 »

Welcome to my life with a toddler!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

mrsallen7114 wrote:Welcome to my life with a toddler!
LOL! Right now I want to read, but I also want to write at the same time, and that's just not going to work. And then I also need to clean the apartment a bit, and the dishes and laundry need tending to... arg!
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Yessss!! And that's why I have quite a few unread books. I've been so busy that I just don't have the time and when I'm free at work, I can't read because I always have to be attentive... Pure hell for an avid reader. By the time I get home, I'm just too tired to do any reading.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I wanted to read a book so badly while I was in boot camp, but we weren't allowed any reading material apart from religious texts (oh yeah, and letters from home). Nine whole weeks without books was utter torture!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
ladybug31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladybug31.html

Post by ladybug31 »

This happens all the time. Usually if a nap doesn't help, I switch back to a book that I know and have read over and over (like The Martian Chronicles) or to short stories (right now it's between the short stories of Nabakov and the short stories of Truman Capote). That'll usually give me a chance to have a break, especially after a long book like "The Bone Clocks" that I loved but was soooo long!
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

This happens to me almost every night! Last thing before sleep is the only time I can find for reading, unless I'm travelling as a passenger or away on holiday. By last thing at night my eyes simply refuse to do as they're told and I nod off. Things are even worse when I 'm trying to concentrate on a completely different style of writing in a new book.
Brenda1721

Post by Brenda1721 »

I always want to read but there is work, my son, house chores, etc but that time when I always want to read is at lunch time, but since I am with my co-workers and they want to talk, I can't....the only time I have to read, and I can't, and it is very stressful to me. I also would love to read at night, but once I hit the bed I don't know, it overpowers me, and I end up falling asleep very fast and lose my chance to read.
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

sometimes I'm like that, I usually put down the book, do something else for a bit, like clean or watch tv, then go back to the book
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

This happened to me every time I was required to read something for class. Usually I would have to cram some homework/reading in after work, and then the lines would just blur together, and I'd end up reading the same few sentences over and over. Eventually I'd give up, and just BS my way through class and papers.
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

Yes, this has happened with me quite a few times. I have an iPad at home where I keep all my ebooks and novels and everyone uses it, it's not mine. So half of the day I am at school and then I do not have ipad, when I do it is for little time and I read both manga and novels so I can read only one :-(

When I am really exhausted and sleepy and I Want to read like really badly, I can't and I go to bed. Also during exams and school days, it is difficult to find time to read even though I really want to read.
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Hadiqa wrote:Yes, this has happened with me quite a few times. I have an iPad at home where I keep all my ebooks and novels and everyone uses it, it's not mine. So half of the day I am at school and then I do not have ipad, when I do it is for little time and I read both manga and novels so I can read only one :-(

When I am really exhausted and sleepy and I Want to read like really badly, I can't and I go to bed. Also during exams and school days, it is difficult to find time to read even though I really want to read.
Sounds like you are just to busy to get any reading done! You need some down time! Make plans on a Sunday if you can!

As for me, I want to read right now but I am distracting myself with this forum. Hahaha. It's my own fault!
bradybunch84
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: The Secret Garden
Currently Reading: TheHaunted Hour edited by Manson
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by bradybunch84 »

I've had this problem since 2nd grade, which was 51 years ago! I retired early just so I could read. That's how important reading is to me. I stop trying to read when I'm having trouble reading and make some coffee or go outside for a quick awakening of the senses.
a wonderful companion in solitude - (a book)
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Yes, that happens to me a lot. When this happens, I take my mind off the book for a while and do other things.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

When I was little, I didn't want to go to bed because I wanted read. But eventually, I would have to go to sleep.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”