Do you skip pages while reading a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Rattyhatty
Favorite Author: Mercedes Lackey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rattyhatty.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter
fav_author_id: 2531

Re: Do you skip pages while reading a book?

Post by Rattyhatty »

Sometimes I do, but only in horribly written scenes. Though the consequences do come back to me, as I often end up going back to read said horrible piece. You'd think I'd learn after the first few times.
Aaybeedee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Aaybeedee »

no i dont
Ami_Violet
Currently Reading: #staymarried
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ami_Violet »

Yes - but only when it's bad and I want to know how it ends, I'll skip to the last chapter or the last few pages. My curiosity gets the better of me and I want to feel like I didn't completely waste my time. But that's only if I've actually put some time into reading it. If I don't like a book after the first chapter I typically just give up on it. On the flip side, if I like a book I will devour it, and I want to skip ahead because I want to know what happens but I could never violate the integrity of the book by doing that - just like I wouldn't fast forward through a good movie - I have to read every single word.
TheRedQueen22
Favorite Book: Fight or Flight
Currently Reading: Breaking Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theredqueen22.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by TheRedQueen22 »

I seldom skip pages when I'm reading. I only do it when I've finally given up on a book and just want to see how things will turn out without really indulging myself and my time into reading.
Christine Keleny
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christine Keleny »

I too do just the opposite - I read every word. I enjoy the act of reading, so I take my time.

If it's a bad book, I might skip a bit to see if it's the same bad stuff as I go, but I'll stop reading a book rather than skipping stuff. Reading time is to precious to waste it on a bad story. There are many good stories out there.
Godson Onah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Godson Onah »

I usually do this on rereads. The first time I read a book, I always read every single word because I don't want to miss anything. But on my next reading of the book, I would already know the characters and story arcs I consider to be uninteresting so I tend to skip those.
Sorchadorcha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorchadorcha.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sorchadorcha »

I had a huge problem when I was younger of skipping to the end of the book to find out what happened before reading the entire book. Thankfully I've grown out of this and I only skip pages of a boring book, like all the explicit scenes in Fifty Shades.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

If I resort to skipping pages it’s usually badly written or rambling dialogue. I try not to but sometimes it’s necessary for keeping sane !
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

If the story is dragging or one of the characters is just that annoying, I will skim through until it gets better or the offending one shuts up or gets killed. I very rarely give up completely unless it's the main characters that are too off putting to continue wasting time on.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I get too curious not to skip pages but I would only skip to the end of the book and skip right back to where I stopped. Aside this, I only totally skip pages that are poorly written or boring.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I would feel like I'm missing out on something important if I skipped pages. Especially since my preferred genre right now is crime/mystery/thriller. Although I will admit that when a book starts to get boring my reading kind of gets put on autopilot. So I'm reading and picking up the gist of what is written but not fully immersed in the novel.
JeriTrice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeritrice.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by JeriTrice »

I do not skip full pages or chapters, but sometimes I find myself skimming if a particular section is boring or redundant.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I usually do not; I fear I may miss something important. Besides if you can do that to a book , it just means the book is badly written.
Carissa Myung
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carissa-myung.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Carissa Myung »

I one hundred percent skip pages while reading a book!

For books that switch a character's POV, such as Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass series, or Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible, I tend to switch to the chapters with the character I favor. After I finish that character's POV, sometimes I read the other pieces and fill the gaps in the plot. Otherwise, I'll shelve the book and open it after finishing a different one.

Even if a book slowly progresses, I sometimes still flip forward with fast, action-packed chapters in other books because I'm anxious to see the end. Then I work backwards, which either provides more confusion (especially in mystery novels) or epiphanies where I'd like to think I note certain elements I wouldn't have spotted before.

I try not do skip pages anymore, but it's definitely an entrenched habit I've yet to completely rid of. Techniques to keep yourself from skipping pages?
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

With physical books I skip ahead if I'm getting bored with the current chapter, so I would count the pages to the next chapter. Since I read mostly on my Kindle, the habit has diminished in frequency, yet it persists.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”