Do you skip pages while reading a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Re: Do you skip pages while reading a book?

Post by Camille Turner »

I always read every word, cover-to-cover. Even if a part is super difficult and I don't like it, I have to read it or it would drive me crazy.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I have almost an obsession with reading every word. It's frustrating at times because if I think I missed a word, I'll go back and re-read the whole sentence. I don't like feeling like I missed something.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

I would never do something like this and frankly, it's the weirdest thing I have heard in a while. I would never be able to understand what is happening if I skip something.
BNazareno
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by BNazareno »

Yes, but I always end up returning to that page because I'm curious.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Oops... Busted! Yes, I have skipped pages and chapters as the book(s) did not intrigue me and moved along.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

Never. Even if the book is going slow, I'll still skim through all the pages. You never know what you might miss otherwise.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

Yes I am guilty on that one lolz. It happens to me everytime I find the the book boring, that's what I do is to skip pages until i reach the end part i wanna know the ending of the story immediately, if it catches my interests or if i have some questions in mind like how this happened then i get back to the pages i have skipped and find answers to my questions.
What goes around comes around
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I never do this. It might sound ridiculous, but I feel like I would be dishonest if I skip pages. I know skipping pages does not mean dishonesty, we are free to read whatever we like and equally free to not read what we don't like-I just feel this way. Also I might skip something important, and I don't like going back again and again to pick up some lost thread ; though in some cases, the twisted plots make me do exactly that. However, skipping pages, or even paragraphs is a strict no-no to me.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

If it's a book I'm not reviewing, and there are parts that drag on and are mind-numbingly boring, then I'll skim until it gets interesting. Sometimes this means I do a little backtracking and means it takes me longer to read the book.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Lizzie3
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie3.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Lizzie3 »

No. I always read page by page. skipping pages or chapters makes reading become so boring.
Hannah Mo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mo.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hannah Mo »

I actually do this all the time to books that start to grow dull, or get too far away from the plot line for me to even comprehend what is going on.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I don't think I have ever skipped parts of a book. I'll look forward and see how many pages are left in a chapter. I scold myself when I read further down a page than I should.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Aryastark wrote: 02 May 2018, 09:00 I never do this. It might sound ridiculous, but I feel like I would be dishonest if I skip pages. I know skipping pages does not mean dishonesty, we are free to read whatever we like and equally free to not read what we don't like-I just feel this way. Also I might skip something important, and I don't like going back again and again to pick up some lost thread ; though in some cases, the twisted plots make me do exactly that. However, skipping pages, or even paragraphs is a strict no-no to me.
Glad I'm not the only one.
Ericanielsen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericanielsen.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ericanielsen »

I don’t skip pages, but I’ve noticed I’ll skim a paragraph or read a whole thing and not have any idea to what I just read. I’ll go back and reread it, always.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Dodging entire pages, in occasions, might be imprudent, since you can get to skip something important. Now, to dodge some sentences or part of the paragraphs... If one is a quick reader and is used to identifying key points, it is possible to skip some small parts without losing the story. This, of course, if the writing or a certain part of the story becomes dense or boring.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”