Do you skip pages while reading a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
marksm121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you skip pages while reading a book?

Post by marksm121 »

I skip the pages when the topic is not getting interested.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

Never ever have I ever. Honestly, that would give me such anxiety. Also, I like looking for clues to figure out if there are going to be plot twists or secrets.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

No, I never skip. How could I? :doh:
nicky11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nicky11 »

I used to do so often. Mostly because the book was boring, but I didn't want to leave it unread, because it always seemed necessary to finish the job.
Or, for example, if the book had a lot of good reviews and I wanted to finish it in the hope that the plot would be more interesting for me.
But almost always, if I started to skip pages, then in the end the book was still uninteresting to me.
That's why I don't do that now. If I start reading a book and realize that I have no desire to keep doing it, I don't. I can confidently leave the book unread halfway.
AngelicG
Currently Reading: Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelicg.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by AngelicG »

nicky11 wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 07:11 I used to do so often. Mostly because the book was boring, but I didn't want to leave it unread, because it always seemed necessary to finish the job.
Or, for example, if the book had a lot of good reviews and I wanted to finish it in the hope that the plot would be more interesting for me.
But almost always, if I started to skip pages, then in the end the book was still uninteresting to me.
That's why I don't do that now. If I start reading a book and realize that I have no desire to keep doing it, I don't. I can confidently leave the book unread halfway.
I am the same. I used to force myself to finish books even if I wasn't enjoying them. So I would flick through, skimming pages to get to the end. I realised I got to a point that I was just getting through books to tick lists of books that I felt I should be reading.

These days I think life is too short for reading to feel like hard work. A book doesn't need to be lighthearted, but if it doesn't engage me then I won't finish it. So I would just abandon rather than skip pages. The only exception isPossession by A.S. Byatt where I enjoyed the book but skipped all the poetry in it.
nangel04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nangel04.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by nangel04 »

No way! I can never skip pages. I cannot even skip a single word. I am honestly a little OCD about this. If I even think I missed a word, I go back and reread the entire sentence. Lol. Just the same, I do not even want an abridged version of a book in front of me. All the words are necessary! 😆
In the beginning was the Word...John 1:1

Reason and love keep little company together nowadays. ~Shakespeare; A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Claire Vaal
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-vaal.html
Latest Review: So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

Post by Claire Vaal »

Personally, no. I don't think I could even skip paragraphs, let alone pages. I just fell like I will miss something important or spoil the book.
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes descriptions are just way too extensive and then I just don't care. Sometimes I skip the pages completely, on days with better nerves skimming is enough.
theprakriti
Currently Reading: The Glass Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theprakriti.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by theprakriti »

Ok :lol2: this is really interesting to answer. So, I never skip any part of the book but what I really do is- When some very interesting climax or scene comes into the book I read only the direct speeches so fast till the end of the conversation and the revelation of mystery. Then I turn back the pages and read the whole text including the background setting and the characters' emotions.
I really like doing that because I don't have the patience to stop reading for looking into other aspects.
Pureader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pureader.html
Latest Review: Cat Boss by Tayma Tameem

Post by Pureader »

sammi8764 wrote: 03 Jun 2014, 21:34 Sometimes I find that I'll skip the parts that don't actually pertain to the story, mainly descriptions of scenery. While it is interesting to read what the world looks like, sometimes I just want to get to the story, so I'll skip over it, or just skim through. Which is honestly hypocritical of me, since I love to use descriptive words when writing and I love world-building.
Same! I did this a ton reading Tolkien. Beautiful descriptions, but painfully detailed.
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

Never! If a book is boring or I don't like it, I stop reading it altogether but I could never skip through the pages. It feels sacrilegious.
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
Ink-Drinker-13
Currently Reading: Peace and Turmoil
Bookshelf Size: 492
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ink-drinker-13.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair
Reading Device: B07K1RZWMC

Post by Ink-Drinker-13 »

I read every single word. I had no idea skipping paragraphs/pages/chapters was even a thing that people did.
EddyFiend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by EddyFiend »

No. If I'm reading a book, I make sure to read it in its entirety.
Meadow Fox
Currently Reading: Night Angel
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadow-fox.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Meadow Fox »

I will skip pages or paragraphs for two reasons. The first is if it's a big block of completely boring and irrelevant information. This is usually setting or history of the world that does nothing in the story but waste paper so the author can show off their world. The second reason I'll skip is if it's too graphic in either violence or sex. I usually deal pretty good, but sometimes I just feel sensitive, I guess.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I never skip pages while I am reading. I always feel like I am going to miss some important clue that will make me confused later. I even reread pages when I feel like I didn't give them the attention they deserved.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”