Do you skip pages while reading a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
malime6
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you skip pages while reading a book?

Post by malime6 »

I recently found myself skipping pages - sometimes whole chapters - while I read. It doesn't matter if it's a good book or not. I feel like I am either speed reading because the book is boring but I still want to know the end but read some of the middle just in case the interest level picks up. Or the story progression is slow but I don't want to dismiss it just in case it gets better. Or the book is so good that I want to skip to the "good" parts. Even when I end up having to reread a chapter because I missed something important I still do it.

Does anyone else experience this?
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

I don't do this, I actually do the opposite and read every single word, which is kind of weird too. I know someone who only reads the first sentence of every paragraph and even less when the story picks up.
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim
shaquanag
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaquanag.html

Post by shaquanag »

No..i read word for word. Only books I skip pages in as I'm reading is my school books. Sometimes not all pages are important.
Lovely_Ink
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-ink.html
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey

Post by Lovely_Ink »

If the story is dragging on forever I will skim the pages and then feel guilty and go back to read them word for word.
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey
Athertle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athertle.html

Post by Athertle »

Personally, I can read quite fast (at my finest moments, a few brief seconds per page) and still comprehend all of the content. Thus, I normally don't have to skip pages. However, sometimes I just can't handle the suspense and I do need to skip pages, or maybe look the summary up on Wikipedia. :wink:
that_bek_girl
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: And then there were none
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-bek-girl.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by that_bek_girl »

If the suspense is just *that bad* I might skip just so I can know, but then I go back and read so I can know what happened in the mean time. :)
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I usually don't do this, I tend to read every word in books, especially if I find them interesting. But there were some books I read that I found myself speed reading and skipping paragraphs because the story was dragging out way too much and I really don't like to leave a book unfinished. Other than for boring books though I don't do this.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
sammi8764
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammi8764.html

Post by sammi8764 »

Sometimes I find that I'll skip the parts that don't actually pertain to the story, mainly descriptions of scenery. While it is interesting to read what the world looks like, sometimes I just want to get to the story, so I'll skip over it, or just skim through. Which is honestly hypocritical of me, since I love to use descriptive words when writing and I love world-building.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

- C. S. Lewis
Scarlet88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet88.html

Post by Scarlet88 »

The only times I've ever done this is towards the back of a book I've been reading. Majority of the time, the book gets worse and worse but for some reason I still hope a bunny is going to be pulled out of the proverbial hat. If I feel the need to skip when I've begun reading a new book, I usually put it down and won't touch it again.
Niknak9306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niknak9306.html

Post by Niknak9306 »

I have never skipped pages or chapters while reading. I will read each word and sometimes reread sentences or paragraphs to either better understand or simply because I liked it. IMO if you are skipping through a book it's best to just put it down. If I'm willing to jump ahead it's not the book for me. I would hate to miss something important due to skipping pages.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Never, I read a book from cover to cover & would not dream of skipping any part of it. If you skip part of the book you can hardly claim to have read it can you?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Titanoboa92 wrote:I don't do this, I actually do the opposite and read every single word, which is kind of weird too. I know someone who only reads the first sentence of every paragraph and even less when the story picks up.
Ya, I do this too.

I used to be able to skim read fast, but now I've become more pedantic - I don't know why.

But I NEVER skip pages, then I might as well stop reading the book or not consider myself as having completed that book.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Nope, I read cover to cover otherwise I wouldn't feel as if I had read the book at all and would probably reread the entire thing.
autumnmarie
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnmarie.html
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by autumnmarie »

I've never skipped reading a section of a book-- it just feels wrong, like I'm short changing the author of their time and effort. I also feel like if I finish the book and dont understand something its because I skipped that one bit... The only time I look ahead in a book is for my own personal reference (to see how long before the next chapter if one seems to be dragging on. )
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book!" -Jane Austen Pride & Prejudice
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
speedesch2
Favorite Book: The Galway Homicides #4-6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-speedesch2.html

Post by speedesch2 »

I love reading and read every word, cover-to-cover. I find it difficult to skip pages or chapters, it's an injustice to an author's hard work.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”