Do you skip pages while reading a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Do you skip pages while reading a book?

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I used to skip pages when I was much younger, especially if I am reading the book for the first time and I feel the part is boring or the plot is coming up slowly or there are erotic scenes I'm not comfortable with. Now I make sure that I read every word intensely even if I find it boring.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Only when I'm reading a book for my bookclub that I really hate. I Feel obligated to get through to the end and at least skim through everything in order to fully participate in the discussion, but I won't torture myself by reading every word of a bad book.
afton_moye
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afton-moye.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by afton_moye »

Nope. If i ever thought about skipping a page that would make me decide to just not read the book at all.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Not full on pages. I may skim pages at times. I may adore a book, but skim past history rants or explanations that don't serve as relevant or necessary information to the overall arc of the storyline.
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

I can skip scenes of my most favorite movie but skipping pages of a book is out of question. When I find a book boring, I just stop then and there not trying to even know what happened at last. When I like a book I like it, when I don't I just don't waste my time on it (obviously except the already wasted one).
RabidFox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RabidFox »

I don't skip pages when I read a book. I would feel like I was missing out on something. Books build very vast and complex webs of information, and if you don't pay attention to everything, somewhere down the road you can easily get lost. Everything is important. You never know what you could actually skip. But even if something was technically capable of being skipped and you would still understand the story, I wouldn't want to anyway. All the details are crucial for me. That's the whole point of reading a book instead of watching a film. You are wanting to engage with the characters and the plot in a carefully sculpted manner that can not be duplicated by films. You want people's actions to be elaborated on; you want the dialogue to be absorbed; you want the plot to be spread out and revealed piece by piece; you want the setting to burn into your mind; you want to feel the emotion of the author. All of these things can not be done in films the same way that they are done in books. Every page is vital.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

No. I read every word of the book. I don't want to miss anything.
MatthewSteele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MatthewSteele »

If I find my self skipping content it means I'm not entirely interested in the material and usually end up putting it down.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I don't do this. If I find I'm skipping pages, I usually just stop reading that book.
StephanieCorinne22
Currently Reading: Counted Righteous in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephaniecorinne22.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by StephanieCorinne22 »

I will skip over long sections that are describing scenery or sometimea really big quotes that don't interest me. I have read so much that I can tell when a couple of pages just isn't completely necessary to the overall story and I want to get on with the story, so I skip some. This doesn't happen all the time, though!
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

LOL! Almost all the time. Especially when there's an exciting scene going on and it's broken up by internal monologue. Or when two exciting scenes are being written side by side (two POVs) and I'm more invested in one side than the other. Then I shamelessly skip the other.
Christal Merkey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 742
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christal-merkey.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Christal Merkey »

Never! I read word-for-word, sometimes go back a few sentences to absorb what I have just read. I guess that comes from having reading comprehension problems as a child and into my adult years.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I am ashamed to admit that I do. Although most of the time when I find myself skipping pages I take it as a sign to put the book down and move on.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I don't skip pages when reading a book; I read every single word silently to absorb what I've read. I'm too afraid I'll miss something if I skip pages.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Runningmama
Currently Reading: Passion
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Runningmama »

It depends on the book - if I feel the need to skip pages, I usually give up on it in general and don't finish reading it. If it is worth my time, every page is worth reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”