Audiobooks?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
paperleopard
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paperleopard.html

Audiobooks?

Post by paperleopard »

On my Nook, there is an app where I can download free books audiobooks from my library and they automatically get returned in 21 days.
I just started listening to a book from the digital library that they didn't have in "print", and it's a very different experience. I like that it makes me hang onto every word and think about it more, pay attention more, but I don't like now being able to easily listen to it again.

What are your thoughts on audiobooks?
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I love audiobooks. I use the app you're talking about from my library (overdrive or Recorded books?) and I've really enjoyed listening to them. I don't usually do this, but frequently, library patrons download the mp3 version off there, because it doesn't automatically delete. Usually, however, if I like one enough, I'll try and buy it off audible or get the physical book.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
acasto
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 85">King's Warrior</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acasto.html
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford

Post by acasto »

I've listened to a few audiobooks and have found it much better when you can't be reading, like driving on a long road trip. Then it gives you the satisfaction of reading a book while still keeping your eyes and enough of your mind on the road. In other cases though, I prefer a print book because I can read it in my own voice, at my own speed, and skip words if I feel like it.
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford
autumnmarie
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnmarie.html
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by autumnmarie »

Honestly, it's not really for me but my uncle is ADD so he can't really focus in on an actual book so he uses them. I've listened to some with him and have played some on tape in my car and they're not terrible. I just prefer to have the words in front of me because I really get attached to my protagonists and I can't do that with audiobooks--probably because it's not as personal.
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book!" -Jane Austen Pride & Prejudice
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
Maura A

Post by Maura A »

I vastly prefer "reading" books to listening to them. I'm very visual and retain information far better when I've read it than when I've heard it. Sometimes when listening to stories I lose track of characters' names or pertinent details, which doesn't happen as often when I'm reading a print or ebook. That said, I never have as much time as I'd like to read everything on my "wish list," so listening to a title via audiobook is vastly superior to never getting to it at all. Audiobooks make rush-hour traffic jams bearable, and are great to listen to during walks or jogs. Also, it's neat to listen to books read by the author. It allows you to understand exactly what the author meant by a given word or sentence, because you hear the inflection and tone in his/her voice, something you don't get by reading a print book.
chstress
Currently Reading: Preda's Voice
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chstress.html

Post by chstress »

I love audiobooks. They suit me well when I am driving or riding in the car I get car sick and cant actually read when I am passenger and this way I still can enjoy my books. I also love them when I am in the hot tub. Just turn my kindle on and any book can be come an audio book I love it. I just turn the sound up sit back sip my cocktail and enjoy my book. Ahh thats the life.
Wolfsbane Creations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfsbane-creations.html

Post by Wolfsbane Creations »

I sometimes listen to audiobooks
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I love audiobooks and listen to them all the time.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Readingislife
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingislife.html

Post by Readingislife »

I have actually never tried an audiobook before only hardcovers and paperbacks but I feel like audiobooks lose the magic of the story, like you can't completely immerse yourself in it If you are driving or something like that, you can't visualize it and feel as a part if it. Of course that's just my opinion I would actually like to try it just to see how id like it!
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

My mother and my sister both love audiobooks. They have one in every car they drive. I on the other hand cannot stand them. To me if you are going to read a book then you need to read it. I feel like having someone else read the story for you is the lazy way out. There are a lot of discussions about this during family dinners.
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

I enjoy audio books but it takes me forever to get through them. Spoken word helps me fall asleep, so if they are working right, it will take me several days to listen to an entire hour long disc.

A couple of things: A relatively recent recording of "Les Misrables" disn't work for me - too engaging and exciting.

Sometimes I notice that a reader gets the voice characterization of the narrator or character just right. I don't know which of the novels it is, but a couple of Tim Dorsey's Serge Storms' series are outstanding because of this - you can see Serge from the instant you hear him.

Another good sounding read is Jasper FFordes "The Fourth Bear" For me the listen was better than the read.

Y converso, sometimes the reader can ruin the book. Sometimes authors do alright reading their own works but in my experience it is an iffy proposition.
Mbenner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenner.html

Post by Mbenner »

I like audio books and used to listen to them when I drove tractor trailer. I much prefer reading the book when I can
food-for-thought

Post by food-for-thought »

I love audiobooks for two reasons:

I do not have to strain my eyes, and can sink into the subject
I can neither affort nore buy the once I want, when living in remote places.

Audiobooks are such an advantage and progress for the disadvantaged.
And I am not a lover of new technology at all.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month

Post by gregs317 »

I'm keen to try my first audiobook, particularly one by Garrison Keillor. So, if there are any 'Lake Wobegon' fans here, which one might you recommend for a first-time listener? Thanks, Greg
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I've tried an audiobook once and I couldn't get into it. I eventually became irritated by the 'narrator's' voice.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”