Who is the loneliest fictional character?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Re: Who is the loneliest fictional character?

Post by allesha »

Winter wrote:Karana from Island of the Blue Dolphins was pretty lonely. Not sure she is the loneliest character ever, but still pretty lonely.
I forgot about this book! She was lonely, I agree. Wow though, so awesome to remember this book.
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
RJohnReves
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

Roland in The Dark Tower series by S King
Chris Dutton
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-dutton.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La

Post by Chris Dutton »

Thomas Covenant.

But then he was quite unlikeable, both to the Dear Reader and the other characters.
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La
RJohnReves

Post by RJohnReves »

Chris Dutton wrote:Thomas Covenant.

But then he was quite unlikeable, both to the Dear Reader and the other characters.

Agreed. But I love The Land
Chris Dutton

Post by Chris Dutton »

RJohnReves wrote:Roland in The Dark Tower series by S King
I didn't think he was necessarily lonely, just that for swathes of the first book, there was no-one else, and then he picked up the 3 (damn, Detta, the bloke & the boy - Jake? I've only read the first few books about ten times!).

Personally, I think he was a loner as opposed to lonely, and he cared deeply about his comrades.
RJohnReves

Post by RJohnReves »

Jake Eddie the junkie and Susannah were Katet. Roland was not part of the magic circle and it saddened him later in the series.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

lnygaard wrote:
Winter wrote:Karana from Island of the Blue Dolphins was pretty lonely. Not sure she is the loneliest character ever, but still pretty lonely.
I had forgotten the Island of the Blue Dolphins. Karana was a lovely character... sweet memories of childhood.

I submit Mercutio from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Misunderstood soul, who couldn't really lay claim Montague's quarrel with Capulets. Probably not the loneliest in the literary world, but his name came to my mind.

And I'm in the middle of Harry Potter (July does that to me for some reason), and it occurred to me that Snape has got to be one of the most loneliest. Almost everyone is suspicious of his motives, no one really trusts him except Dumbledore, the girl he loves marries his nemesis from school (not to mention the evil bad wizard he was following, kills her). Tragic....
I agree, Snape is indeed a lonely character. Everything you mentioned, plus Rowling's hints about his not-so-ideal upbringing, all point to loneliness.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Chris Dutton

Post by Chris Dutton »

RJohnReves wrote:Jake Eddie the junkie and Susannah were Katet. Roland was not part of the magic circle and it saddened him later in the series.
Thank you!

I still don't believe he was lonely, more a loner, and had been from the beginning... he was immensely proud of the Katet, and was more teacher (and often pupil) rather than equal.

Maybe he was lonely. Oh dear, my head spins thinking about any of that series. Where's the scratching head smiley?!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

And the answer is ...... *DRUMROLL*

Robinson Crusoe
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
RJohnReves

Post by RJohnReves »

DATo wrote:And the answer is ...... *DRUMROLL*

Robinson Crusoe
Didnt he have Friday to chill with?
shadowpenm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowpenm.html

Post by shadowpenm »

I'll second Tyrion Lannister for all the same reasons. Or perhaps The Palatski Man courtesy of Stuart Dybek. There's just something about an outsider when it comes to loneliness.
SidnayC wrote:I would say Tyrion from George R.R. Martin's a song of fire and ice series. He is surrounded by family members who want him killed and friends and lovers prepared to sell him out at the drop of the hat. He is surrounded by many but alone because no one truly cares for him.
husnain 123

Post by husnain 123 »

Jake Eddie the junkie and Susannah were Katet. Roland was not part of the magic circle and it saddened him later in the series.
Thank you!

I still don't believe he was lonely, more a loner, and had been from the beginning... he was immensely proud of the Katet, and was more teacher (and often pupil) rather than equal.

Maybe he was lonely. Oh dear, my head spins thinking about any of that series. Where's the scratching head smiley?!
husnain 123

Post by husnain 123 »

Heathcliff of course!
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

LivreAmour217 wrote: 08 Jan 2015, 14:52
lnygaard wrote:
I had forgotten the Island of the Blue Dolphins. Karana was a lovely character... sweet memories of childhood.

I submit Mercutio from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Misunderstood soul, who couldn't really lay claim Montague's quarrel with Capulets. Probably not the loneliest in the literary world, but his name came to my mind.

And I'm in the middle of Harry Potter (July does that to me for some reason), and it occurred to me that Snape has got to be one of the most loneliest. Almost everyone is suspicious of his motives, no one really trusts him except Dumbledore, the girl he loves marries his nemesis from school (not to mention the evil bad wizard he was following, kills her). Tragic....
I agree, Snape is indeed a lonely character. Everything you mentioned, plus Rowling's hints about his not-so-ideal upbringing, all point to loneliness.
I also thought Professor Snape had to be one of the loneliest characters. I also thought of Heathcliff and Boo Radley.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

Ethan Frome.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”