Re-reading books? Do you do it? How often?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ewyna34
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Re-reading books? Do you do it? How often?

Post by ewyna34 »

Depends on the book or series. I tend to reread Outlander by Diana Gabaldon every five years and The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings trilogy about every 10. Don't know why. Outlander is a big enough book that I get something new out of it every time I read it.
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

I reread three series every year. Harry Potter, Twilight, and Tigers Curse. They are my all time favorite books and I like to read them during the holidays when I have time off of work.
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
dishaprashant

Post by dishaprashant »

I do re-read books if they relate to me in some or the other manner. If I am extremely impressed by a book I tend to re-read them. specially light-hearted teen fiction books make me feel at ease and enjoy with a cup of coffee. I usually re-read books which are not much heavy on the brain and which also make my surrounding atmosphere a little lighter. Also I love to re-read autobiographies as they inspire me a lot.
CuriousJorgi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curiousjorgi.html

Post by CuriousJorgi »

I re-read the Harry Potter Series, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, and Mariana about once a year or every other year. Mariana for when I want a happy ending and romance. Harry Potter, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings when I want a good adventure/fantasy and can't seem to find a new series to read. I think it is because these are my comfort books; for Peanuts fans they are my blue blanket :)
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I, like Nikki_p, make it a point to reread Harry Potter! I completely understand that. There are other books that I find myself rereading too for various reasons, mostly because I remember being drawn in by a particular book. There are books that I reread because the movie version is coming out and I plan on watching. This year I find myself rereading a lot of books from high school because my theme is banned books so I find myself reading books that had at one point been required reading. I'm enjoying this new perspective I have regarding a lot of these books because of the life experiences I've had. Some books to me are simply worth the reread.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Yes, but mostly when the next book in the series is coming out.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
AmberS2287

Post by AmberS2287 »

I do not re-read books.
serena08max
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena08max.html

Post by serena08max »

I almost NEVER re-read a book. I "absorb" the story so I don't believe that I have ever read a book twice.
babuckholt
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babuckholt.html

Post by babuckholt »

I don't even have time to reread them! I would love to reread a few though! I have too many unread books on my bookshelf to spend time rereading my favorites. Who knows, one of those unread books could be a new favorite!
hollie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollie.html

Post by hollie »

Not usually, if it's a series I sometimes do if the last time I read it was a while ago
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I do...not often but when the mood strikes to read one of my favorite novels I will.
Platonov

Post by Platonov »

A good book begs to the reader to consider each of its elements in relation to all of it's other elements. Contrast and comparison of these units reveals the pattern in the weave and the pattern is to be related to the overall tapestry. This process only really begins to take place upon the second reading. If it is a truly great work, the tapestry seethes, it is alive with limitless permutations. "Under the Volcano" by Malcolm Lowry is one such book. You can never say of it "I've read that." One is only ever reading it.
Gobberz1990
Favorite Author: Harry Turtledove
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: Ratlines by Stuart Neville
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gobberz1990.html

Post by Gobberz1990 »

I don't do it quite as often as I used to mostly, because I still have a lot to read plus, I am discovering new books all the time. The most recent I did re-read was a paperback copy of Harry Turtledove's 'Guns of the South' which, is an excellent book.
Kelly_Marie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-marie.html

Post by Kelly_Marie »

I tell people that I keep books so that I can Re-read them, but I hardly ever find the time! Although I like having the option to be able to go back and re-read I also know that the feelings books give me the first time round of reading them aren't going to come back and be the same so i try and leave it for a long time
VickiJME57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickijme57.html

Post by VickiJME57 »

I do not re-read books because I know how it ends.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”