Re-reading books? Do you do it? How often?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ebony B
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Re-reading books? Do you do it? How often?

Post by Ebony B »

If there is a series that I really like I will reread the whole series after ever book that comes out. Then there's finished series that I will reread every 1 to 2 years unless I've found a new book that I haven't read before.
TheOnionFlower

Post by TheOnionFlower »

I re-read Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle in early spring every year, just when the growing season is starting. She details the adventure of her family eating locally for one year and I always find it inspires me to get out in the garden.
KJ0493731

Post by KJ0493731 »

I never re read a book.
esbsms
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esbsms.html

Post by esbsms »

I do! I do! :lol: Well, I have to wait a long while to re-read any book because I have a very strong memory, especially with books that I love.
Crysaniarai

Post by Crysaniarai »

i do sometimes! it really depends. books that i am crazy about i occasionally re-read just to experience them all over again. every so often i will re-read if a new book is being released in a series, and i need to refresh on the previous one because i've read so much since then that i've forgotten some of the details.
sweetmaggie1996

Post by sweetmaggie1996 »

If a book is really good, i will read it multiple times. a really good book shows me something new each time i read it.
fr3shpr1nc3ss

Post by fr3shpr1nc3ss »

I love re-reading books I often overlook details through sheer excitement for the ending, so when it comes to read it again it's like a whole new book or character.
Sometimes when it comes to re-reading series which are very extensive I just skip straight to the chapters I want too without losing interest
Nessie_Bookworm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nessie-bookworm.html

Post by Nessie_Bookworm »

[quote=I have a few reader friends who re-read a lot of books and they're usually favorites. For example, I know some Harry Potter fans will re-read the whole series every single year! I just don't get this habit. Don't get me wrong, there are some books I would like to re-visit but I just feel that there are so many other new and awesome books out there for me to spend my time re-reading something. What do you think?

For those that do re-read, how often do you do it? Do you have any rituals?

In general I don't ever re-read a book, especially if I have really enjoyed it cause I can't go through all of it again knowing what is going to happen and not anticipating or wondering about anything. It's just a huge spoiler.
But there are just two books (that happen to be in my favorites), that for some reason I have no issue re-reading all the time. Those are 'The twins at St Clare's' and 'Pride and prejudice'. For some reason I can re-read them as many times as I want, they're just my exception to the rule I guess :shock:
jonre+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonre.html

Post by jonre+ »

I will definitely re read books. I have some I will re-read several times. Its like visiting old friends.
anabigbookfan

Post by anabigbookfan »

I only reread books twice, maximum 3 times then I just never pick it up again. Don't know why just happens!
Sarahp914
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahp914.html

Post by Sarahp914 »

I have a lot of series that I have re-read. Multiple times in fact. Of course a certain amount of time goes by before I read them again. Some series I have even read like seven times. It never gets old. The way an author makes it that you can read a book so many times and not get sick of it is truly amazing.
kody
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kody.html

Post by kody »

I will re-read a book maybe once every two or three years. I just like to go back to the books that I love and find a happy place. I have really enjoyed re-reading the Wheel of Time series but of course I re-read that about once every 5 years. My wife is constantly re-reading The Goose Girl and sometimes it drives me crazy how much she reads it so I have to introduce her to new books. Maybe she does it on purpose whenever she wants me to buy her a new book to read.
Lilianar_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianar.html

Post by Lilianar_ »

I do re-read all my books unless I didn't like the book. I have about 200+ books on my shelf at all times and after a year or two I go back and re-read them, or atleast ones I liked. I've read so much I don't always remember the book.

-- 29 Jun 2014, 07:59 --

I love re-reading my books ! I always make sure that about a year or two goes by before re-reading them unless it's really good ! I read anywhere from 80-125 books a year and don't always remember the book when I re-read it.
Zipppers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zipppers.html

Post by Zipppers »

Does Harry Potter count? Cause I've read those books so much that the 1st,3rd.4th.and 5th book are in halves or thirds.
InkAngel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkangel.html

Post by InkAngel »

I re-read books several times. Especially if its a favorite! I don't really have any ritual though or even specific times...its just whenever I feel like I want to revisit the story. And for me that's why I re-read. I want to spend time with the characters and the story again. I want to live in that book again because for a little while its my life and my book. I don't know if that's the same reason for everyone or not, but its mine.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”