Re-reading books? Do you do it? How often?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
PluviophileReader
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluviophilereader.html
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan

Re-reading books? Do you do it? How often?

Post by PluviophileReader »

I have a few reader friends who re-read a lot of books and they're usually favorites. For example, I know some Harry Potter fans will re-read the whole series every single year! I just don't get this habit. Don't get me wrong, there are some books I would like to re-visit but I just feel that there are so many other new and awesome books out there for me to spend my time re-reading something. What do you think?

For those that do re-read, how often do you do it? Do you have any rituals?
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
emilyxwebster1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyxwebster1.html

Post by emilyxwebster1 »

I find it so hard to re-read a book because I've always got a pile of books that is constantly getting bigger and I'm dying to read them all!
gydavis 17

Post by gydavis 17 »

I've never reread a book, I just can't do it.
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

When I was a child/teenager I re-read a lot of books. I didn't have money to buy many books and my parents didn't take me to the library very often. My mom might protest that statement, so let's just say that it was not often enough to keep me in fresh books. During that time I practically memorized a lot of books. Now that I am (much) older I find that I often forget the finer details of many books, so I will reread the best ones.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
PluviophileReader
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluviophilereader.html

Post by PluviophileReader »

Little House wrote:When I was a child/teenager I re-read a lot of books. I didn't have money to buy many books and my parents didn't take me to the library very often. My mom might protest that statement, so let's just say that it was not often enough to keep me in fresh books. During that time I practically memorized a lot of books. Now that I am (much) older I find that I often forget the finer details of many books, so I will reread the best ones.
I think that's my biggest regret with not re-reading books, is that I too, forget the little details. I often remember how a book made me feel or the general impression that it made on me but if the book wasn't astounding and I didn't write a review about it, I often just forget the details.
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Post by Sarah1 »

I only reread a few that are my absolute favorites. I have reread the Twilight series twice but haven't had the desire in a long time. I jsut read a series called Touchstone that I will absolutely read again but probably not for a couple years. Probably my all time favorite that I have read about four times is The Persian Pickle Club. An obscure little book to my knowledge but I loved it!!
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

Very rarely.

Only a couple of books I have re read in full.
Several others I go back and read snippets of.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I usually don't like to re-read most books unless they are my absolute favorites. The only ones I have re-read multiple times are classics like To Kill a Mockingbird, and East of Eden, and the entire Harry Potter series. I really like re-reading Harry Potter because there are so many details in previous books that are explained in later books, and it's only possible to pick up on them by re-reading. Other than that, I don't enjoy re-reading books in general.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
nikki_p
Favorite Book: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Currently Reading: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikki-p.html

Post by nikki_p »

I only like to reread Harry Potter. Whenever I finish a book that I absolutely love, I tell myself "wow, I'll definitely reread this sometime, it was so good!" But it never happens. I don't know what it is about Harry Potter though, I just love that HP haha.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I typically don't unless I have nothing to read. Right now, I went on a spree at my $1 book store, and have about 40 classics to get through.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
MrsAmyM
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsamym.html

Post by MrsAmyM »

I will reread certain favorites. But it has to be a least a year from my last time.
[nette]
Currently Reading: Splintered Trilogy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nette.html

Post by [nette] »

I only re-read the books that I remember what they were about, but the book is no longer fresh in my memory. I find it hard on myself when I already know what is going on in the book. I feel like there is really no point; but when i remember reading the book, but don't really remember anything significant going on, then I will chance re-reading the book again, but that is highly unlikely.
Wolfsbane Creations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfsbane-creations.html

Post by Wolfsbane Creations »

Very Often for the books I love
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

I've reread a few books. There's one that I read all the time and I never get tired of: impulse by Ellen Hopkins
Kinza Sheikh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinza-sheikh.html

Post by Kinza Sheikh »

Only when I read it soo fast the first time, that I forget necessary details. And while reading second time, I tend to read 1-3 chapters per day. Than I get bored and turn to a new and exciting book.
So now, I have started to take extensive notes on my current reading list. So when I want to turn back to something, I will just have to look at my notes, not the whole book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”