How old were you when you found your love for books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
mmalnar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How old were you when you found your love for books?

Post by mmalnar »

It began when I was being taught to read. I love the way a story can transport you to another time and place. I am the type of reader that gets completely lost in the story and will hate to put it down once I pick it up. It has always been an escape for me I guess. I also believe in it being a book. I don't like to read from a computer or tablet. I need the actual pages turning, holding it in my hands, blowing the dust off, of a good book.
emily rose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-rose.html

Post by emily rose »

Ever since I was a little kid I always loved books. My parents would read 3-4 books to me everyday before I learned to read myself :D
I always wanted new books to read, and I was the kid that had to be told to put a book down! These days I don't have as much time to read because of college, but I know I'll always have a love for books
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

7-8 years old :-)
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
dhaines429

Post by dhaines429 »

Like all the other respondents I'm going to say 7 or 8. I remember in elementary school they tested my reading level at 3 or 4 grades higher. I just loved everything about books, maybe it was because I could go back and read certain scenes over again. It was like I could go anywhere or do anything by picking up a book and following along with the story.
Lamisah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lamisah.html

Post by Lamisah »

I was 11 years old when I discovered the library, a whole world of new experiences and worlds to escape to, when reality becomes to drab.
Revital
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revital.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Revital »

My parents always encouraged me to read so I was about 7-8 when I discovered I actually loved to read /
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

4 years old . Or at least that was when I learned to read my favorite toy growing up was a small shopping cart I filled with books.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
jmeza10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmeza10.html

Post by jmeza10 »

I was in the fourth grade, so around nine years old?
“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power" — David Brin
admiretejan

Post by admiretejan »

I was 10 when I first started getting into books. when I read a book I would see it in my head as a movie. it was awesome being transported to a new place each time I read a book, so I stuck with it, and have been officially named xerox in high school because I always had my nose stuck in a book lol. I'm still like that. P.S. I think my fiancée think I love my book more then him lol
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

As soon as I learned how to read. About 5 years old.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
lorenicole
Favorite Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenicole.html
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Publishing Contest Votes: 12

Post by lorenicole »

I was five years old. I had gone to HeadStart which is a early childhood school. The teachers saw that I was not to happy at home and one took it upon herself to teach me to read. This way when my parents fought I could hide in my room and read to "escape".
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
sarahlovestoread
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahlovestoread.html

Post by sarahlovestoread »

I'm not sure exactly how old I was... I was young though. My small town had an equally small library, and my mom would sign us up for the summer reading program every year from the time I was very small. I loved being able to read something new every week. By the time I was a teenager, I was checking out 10 to 15 books a week just for fun.
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

I don't know. I do know that I was deep into reading addiction by 3rd grade. At a parent teacher conference, the teacher once remarked to my mother about my ability to read fiction during a lesson and still follow the lesson well enough to answer when called on in class. Luckily, she was amused... and the lessons were way too easy. I also distinctly remember that year getting into long involved arguments with the librarian at school that resulted in being sent to the principal and having my mother called. 3rd graders were not supposed to be allowed books from the 4th-6th grade section of the library but the third grade books were too short and boring. I saw no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to read the longer more interesting books. My mother agreed but I needed to have that same argument with the school librarian or a library helper at least once a month that year. Of course, I got to sit in the principal's office alone to read while waiting for my mother so it was incentive not to back down and meekly get a short too easy book.
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

I was in kindergarten and they gave us one of those anthologies full of childrens stories. We were supposed to read the first story during the week. I finished the whole book in one day. They didn't believe me so I had to actually take a test on all the stories in the book. Never put books down since.
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
vera_petro
Currently Reading:

Post by vera_petro »

I had just transferred to a Jr. High school, where I had no friends and was far from home. I discovered books because I was lonely. I was 13 years old when I found the school library and fell in love with my own little world. Since then I have not been able to stop reading. Even when I had started working, my first job at a sandwich shop, I would zero out my bank account because I HAD to buy more books. Now I try to find any deal where I can get books because paying the bills is more important. More books please! ^_^

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”